Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Question about sibling class... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497018)

3 ladybugs 03-04-2013 09:42 AM

Question about sibling class...

I just found out that the class I was going to put DS in isn't available anymore. So now my choices are April 20 or June 15. Is it better to go to these earlier or later? I am suppose to deliver between July 4 and 18 if all goes well (VERY planned delivery).

So is it better for it to be done earlier so DS can deal with the thought of the hospital? Or is it better to learn right before delivery (assuming I get that far)?

stevensmom 03-04-2013 09:45 AM

Re: Question about sibling class...

If we do one, we'll most likely pick one close to delivery date. Only so I don't have to deal with the...Mommy are you going to the hospital now, what about now, okay now? For a few months it can get old!

yukipr 03-04-2013 10:12 AM

To be sincere, it was recommended to us, but we did not do it. Our baby was born in November 2012 and my daughter was 4.5 years at the time. She had adapted great. She saw my belly grow as time went by. She washed the belly, talk to the baby, play with the baby. She even felt the baby kick before my husband. We talked to her and so forth. On delivery day, she was there, not by choice, but she was the first one to see the baby. I requested that. After she saw the baby, grandparents were allowed to see him. The next day, we gave her a gift. We told her that her brother bought that for her. The gift had a lovely, short letter that I wrote and a big sister PJ, angry bird hat and a Hello Kitty toothbrush. She was SOOOO EXCITED.

RunawayBunny 03-04-2013 10:15 AM

I think it depends on the age of your child (I can't see signatures). My ds is only 3 and would do better with events like that being close together. He has a memory, sure, but a sibling is still very abstract to him.

Mom to Joey (Feb 2010) and another on the way (Apr 2013)!

Fashionably Green Baby 03-04-2013 10:22 AM

I did sibling class for ODD when I was pregnant with DS and it was in mid December and DS was born the first week of February. I would do closer to due date.
We didn't do sibling class when i was pregnant With YDD because ODD already had been through it and DS was "too young" for the class. They say 3 and up. It turned out fine, he didn't miss a beat an is a great big brother. He loves babies though so that was a good thing

3 ladybugs 03-04-2013 11:07 AM

My son will be 3 months shy of 5 years old when his brother is born.

I am mostly concerned with him dealing with me in the hospital. I have to have a c-section (unknown recovery from my high risk status and risky birth... 4 doctors need to be there just in case), and I have only been away from him for 14 nights total his whole life. 5 of those were when he was just an embryo, and 6 more when he was first born (NICU), the other three were because of a illness I got because of chemo where he couldn't even visit me. He is used to being in hospitals, I just don't know how he is going to react to me being there and him going some place else. He didn't do well with the chemo hospitalization (he was 20 months old at the time). That is what I am hoping the sibling class will help him with.

stevensmom 03-04-2013 11:11 AM

I think you can do a lot of preperation in advance...and the hospital tour can be the ending point.

Talk with him daily about mommy needing to go into the hospital so baby Nathanial can be born. And that he'll have so much fun at "so and so's" house while you are gone. He can come visit you daily. But he'll have fun sleep overs for a few days.

At almost 5 he should cope with changes if you give him enough warning.

"even tho mommy is going to be gone for a bit and we won't be able to sleep in the same house for a few days, think about the fun we'll have when I get back and your baby brother will be here :)"

3 ladybugs 03-04-2013 11:21 AM

If all goes to plan, he will have grandma and grandpa playing with him. He will LOVE that, though he may ask where Maggie is (their dog). He may also stay with them in the hotel.

If it doesn't go to plan, he will have strangers (people from church... we know many of them but not all of them). So that may be hard for him.

I do talk to him about it every now and then. However I don't think it helps when the doctors look so sad when they see me when he goes to those appointments. :(