Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help me meal plan for a trip (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497106)

blesdfish 03-04-2013 02:02 PM

Help me meal plan for a trip

DH and I are going on an anniversary getaway for the weekend and I need to meal plan. We're staying in a cabin in the woods. There's a kitchenette-micro, fridge and sink. And there's a charcoal grill outside and I'm bringing my electric griddle. There's a town 20 minutes away so we'll be eating out one dinner. Budget isn't really an issue but we don't eat "fancy" :) did I mention it's just the two of us?!? :giggle2:

We will be there from friday afternoon to Sunday mid morning.

What would you bring if it was you?

Friday dinner
Saturday:
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner (probably out)
Sunday breakfast

So far I have chicken quesadillas (grilled chicken), salsa and chips. Bacon and eggs. Burgers? He said burgers but I think they need so many ingredients(condiments, veggies, etc.). Any suggestions would be awesome!

blesdfish 03-05-2013 09:05 PM

Re: Help me meal plan for a trip

... Anyone?

What would you make for dinner if you only had an electric griddle and a small fridge?

snugglesnsunshine 03-05-2013 09:27 PM

French toast (w/cinnamon:)
Grilled cheese
Ham and hash browns
Stir fry w/veggies

2queens&1princenmyhouse 03-06-2013 08:58 AM

How about kabobs? You could precut the meat in a marinade in one ziploc, and have the veggies in marinade in another. Soak your skewers, thread and grill. You could also make a foil veggie packet to bring and throw on the grill as a side with a steak, chicken breast or brats. I like grilled pizza-but you really have to watch the grill temp or you can end up with charred frisbee.

Brinklen 03-06-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blesdfish (Post 16358419)
DH and I are going on an anniversary getaway for the weekend and I need to meal plan. We're staying in a cabin in the woods. There's a kitchenette-micro, fridge and sink. And there's a charcoal grill outside and I'm bringing my electric griddle. There's a town 20 minutes away so we'll be eating out one dinner. Budget isn't really an issue but we don't eat "fancy" :) did I mention it's just the two of us?!? :giggle2:

We will be there from friday afternoon to Sunday mid morning.

What would you bring if it was you?

Friday dinner
Saturday:
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner (probably out)
Sunday breakfast

So far I have chicken quesadillas (grilled chicken), salsa and chips. Bacon and eggs. Burgers? He said burgers but I think they need so many ingredients(condiments, veggies, etc.). Any suggestions would be awesome!

I would have a theme, like Cita Amorosa, which roughly means "Romantic Getaway/Rendezvous," and follow that theme. You've got a great idea with the chicken quesadillas, salsa and chips. And take a couple avocados and mix with the salsa to make guacamole!
Breakfast could be a Mexican omelette with diced jalapenos or mild green chiles (you can get small cans at the store for inexpensive), or migas (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Migas--My-Way). Serve with salsa and guac.
Also take onions, mushrooms and bell peppers (no refrigeration needed) and a nice size but inexpensive cut of steak marinated in a bag for a fajita lunch. It'll get the DH involved by grilling the steak! ;) Or do a grilled steak fajita salad or taco salad with ground beef. And the next morning's breakfast? An egg scramble with the leftover meat and veggies, with some bacon. Bringing you back to the "American" diet!
So...
No fridge required:
Avocados, onions, bell peppers, tortillas, tortilla chips, salsa (until opened).
Fridge needed:
Eggs, cheese, bacon, meat, sour cream.
I would also HIGHLY recommend a cooler stocked with ice. And a "surprise" homemade margarita mix with a couple plastic cups for maybe an impromptu picnic??
I would also recommend the fajitas for Fri dinner, and then you would have the meat grilled already for Sat lunch so you could do the quesadillas then, or the salad.

I hope this helps! My DH and I were married in Mexico and this was an idea I had for one of our anniv. that fell through.

Enjoy!

blesdfish 03-06-2013 01:36 PM

Thanks! These are great ideas. I hadn't thought about using the same ingredients for multiple meals, duh, That makes this so much easier!

Brinklen 03-07-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blesdfish
Thanks! These are great ideas. I hadn't thought about using the same ingredients for multiple meals, duh, That makes this so much easier!

:)
That's what we're here for, to help each other figure out life! Hope y'all have a FANTASTIC weekend together! ;)