Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fish help plz (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497285)

my2sweets 03-05-2013 07:35 AM

Fish help plz

I would like to start cooking more fish. I dont know how though and dh is very picky with fish so Ive never tried. He's willing to try to get more fish in our diets but only wants a low fishy tasting fish. I use to get tilapia from the store(seasoned, just toss in oven) but we ate so much of it even 2yrs later he does *not* want it. What fish should I attempt? Recipes?

Tris 03-05-2013 07:53 AM

Re: Fish help plz

I cook cod and pollock along with tilapia. I can't think of a specific recipe, I usually google "cod recipe" and dig through allrecipes and blogs for something yummy looking.

Hungry Caterpillar 03-05-2013 09:31 AM

low "fishy taste or smell" fish is the freshest fish you can find, not necessarily the type of fish. Even a fish that was caught, filleted and flash frozen will be less fishy tasting than a fish sitting in the market case for a couple days.

We cook a lot of salmon, but wild salmon is far tastier (yet more expensive) than farmed salmon so I would recommend that. I like to brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with dill, then cook in a med-hot pan with a few tsp of olive oil heated. I cook flesh side down first for 6 minutes, then turn it over skin side down in the pan and cook until it flakes apart. This amount of time will change depending on thickness. Usually around 4/5/6 mins. I cook skin side down last because then when it flakes and tries to fall apart, the skin is there as a base. We serve with rice and steamed veggies.

Nearly all other fish we will broil or BBQ. Almost any white, delicate fish can benefit from a little lemon and butter, then going under the broiler.

Whatever day you buy it, eat it that day. Let me know if you need more help. We cook fish 4-5 days per week in the summer.

Leiiki 03-05-2013 10:28 AM

Some fish are actually more "fishy," like mullet, smelt, anchovy, sardine, canned tuna, eel, and some types of salmon.

If you don't live near a large body of water, frozen fish can be better than "fresh" at the grocery store. Costco sells frozen Mahi Mahi that is excellent an easy to prepare, for example.

One thing to note - almost all fish is "frozen" to a certain extent, since it is stored in ice on the boat until delivery.

rottenapple 03-05-2013 04:16 PM

I agree with PP who said to get frozen if u cant get good fresh fish where u live. We eat fish once or twice a week and my kids LOVE it. I only have 2 ways i make it, but they never complain. For salmon it gets salt and pepper, then i glaze it with maple syrup and bake it. For white fish (tilapia, cod, trout, etc.) I mix equal parts mayo and mustard, whatver kind we have opened- IT could be dijon, honey must, whatever. Then brush that on ur salt and peppered fillets, sprinkle some panko or breadcrumbs on top, sprinle paprika on that, and bake. I am not a recipe cook so my apologies for the vagueness of measurements and stuff :)

Alexismarie 03-07-2013 06:44 PM

Haddock is good.

Coler 03-07-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexismarie (Post 16371454)
Haddock is good.

This is our go to fish. It's not fishy at all. It's a flaky white fish.

mommaroo2Lou 03-08-2013 01:14 PM

I think the fish a Trader Joes (if you have one around) is pretty good and inexpensive. I do fish packets in the oven with any type of fish and my tot loves it. Wrap a thawed or fresh fish fillet with lemon pepper, salt and maybe a fresh herb sprig on top in foil with instant rice that has been soaked for 10 mins and whatever veggies you like. Cook at 350 for 10-15 mins until rice is soft and steamy. Where I live, local lake trout is freshest and has a mild flavor and very soft texture.

Brinklen 03-08-2013 04:27 PM

What about salmon patties? I can buy wild caught salmon in the can and then you just mash up the bones and make patties, which I have served on both onion buns (yum!) and wrapped in greens (my fav!). I make a dill mayo to go on it and DH requests it at least once a week. Also, one can (without bread crumbs; trying to avoid carbs) will make about 6 very large patties, so yay for leftovers!

We also like mahi-mahi, which is thick and more like a fish "steak." I know they have it at Costco. It's also wild-caught.

By the way, put out a bowl of white vinegar to help absorb the "fishy" smell. Even after frying fish, the smell is gone by morning.

Good luck! :)

tesslouise 03-08-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenapple (Post 16363164)
I agree with PP who said to get frozen if u cant get good fresh fish where u live. We eat fish once or twice a week and my kids LOVE it. I only have 2 ways i make it, but they never complain. For salmon it gets salt and pepper, then i glaze it with maple syrup and bake it. For white fish (tilapia, cod, trout, etc.) I mix equal parts mayo and mustard, whatver kind we have opened- IT could be dijon, honey must, whatever. Then brush that on ur salt and peppered fillets, sprinkle some panko or breadcrumbs on top, sprinle paprika on that, and bake. I am not a recipe cook so my apologies for the vagueness of measurements and stuff :)

Totally stealing your ideas! Thank you!