Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Plesase Help - Need to Increase Supply asap (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497399)

Mheagan 03-05-2013 12:04 PM

Plesase Help - Need to Increase Supply asap

I used to be an over producer.... I was freezing 6 - 9 oz a day. My little guy started solids about 3 months ago (He is 8 months now) and my supply took a nosedive, even though I was pumping the same number of times a day and he is STILL getting up 2-3x a night to nurse. Well since the begining of Feburary I have been sick almost constantly, and my supply has dropped to about 10 oz over 4 pumpings. I've had to start supplimenting which breaks my heart. I've been eating enough food (I am not losing weight) and drinking a ton of water. I HAVE to get my milk back up. My son is allergic to milk, peanuts and eggs so finding the "right" formula is hard, not to mention $$$$ . I can't take fenugeek because of the associations with peanuts (Dr gave me literature stating allergies to peanuts should not take it).

This is our typical schedule:

5:45 am - wake up & nurse
8 am - pump
10:15 - pump
12:30 - pump
3:15 - pump
5:30 - Nurse (this has been new the past couple of days)
6:45 - 7 ish - nurse to sleep
11:00 - nurse
2-3:00 - nurse

Any help, any suggestions are appreciated. I never had to go through this with DD, and I am not ready / don't want to give him formula.

Thanks!

TrennaII 03-05-2013 12:20 PM

Re: Plesase Help - Need to Increase Supply asap

Are you completely positive it's a supply issue? I had oversupply AND couldn't get anything at all out with a pump - even the fancy rental Medela - after awhile. Could it have anything to do with stress?

If you do think it's supply, hops tincture was a knockout for me, as was nettle + red raspberry. I got them from Silver Sage Herbals (she was my midwife). The hops worked within hours. Her tinctures are super strong, though.

I've also heard of a Facebook page, I think it's Human Milk for Human Babies, where people coordinate donation of milk?

tibeca 03-05-2013 04:49 PM

Have you had your pump checked? There are parts inside of them that can wear out, especially with frequent use like you're doing.

Also check out this link:http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Hands on pumping will help you get more from each pump session.

l_Kimmie_l 03-05-2013 05:02 PM

Reglan or domperidone can help. I use reglan and it kept my supply going even in the worst of times.

Mheagan 03-05-2013 08:13 PM

I'm going to check into those. Thank you ladies!

evasimone 03-05-2013 08:57 PM

You could do a power pump every night for 3-7 days. A power pump is where you pump 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off for an hour. It mimic cluster feeding and signals your body to produce more. I power pumped for a whole week and increased my output substantially.

I also ditto what the previous poster said about checking your pump parts. If they haven't been replaced in 8 months they could be a huge culprit.

Allelujiah 03-05-2013 10:29 PM

Are you taking any new medications? Cold meds and allergy meds can mess with your supply.

Mheagan 03-06-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evasimone (Post 16364190)
You could do a power pump every night for 3-7 days. A power pump is where you pump 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off for an hour. It mimic cluster feeding and signals your body to produce more. I power pumped for a whole week and increased my output substantially.

I also ditto what the previous poster said about checking your pump parts. If they haven't been replaced in 8 months they could be a huge culprit.

Oh! Great idea! Thanks

Mheagan 03-06-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allelujiah (Post 16364442)
Are you taking any new medications? Cold meds and allergy meds can mess with your supply.

My supply dropped before I started taking anything...

But I did figure something out. Ugh. I guess I wasn't very observant but my valves had breaks in them! I have no idea how long it's been that way but I bought new ones and holy how it feels like my nipples are going to come off the suction is so strong! I wonder if this is a big part of it.

I feel kind of silly, like I should know this. Are there parts on the inside that can wear out? I've replaced the valves, tubing, and the "cone" pieces. I used this pump with DD almost 4 years ago and have not replaced anything internally. Where do I take it to do that?

tibeca 03-06-2013 02:18 PM

Read your manual. It will tell you what parts can and should be replaced.

And turn the suction down! You don't want to hurt yourself. :)