Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498995)

Rewind_Selector 03-11-2013 12:09 PM

If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

for whatever reason. Be it low supply, unsafe medications, breast reduction or the plethora of other reasons, would you give your baby donor milk from a mother who smokes?

l_Kimmie_l 03-11-2013 12:16 PM

Re: If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

I chose other - I gave formula, but would give breastmilk from a smoker.

tmwmommy 03-11-2013 12:20 PM

I have a lot of trusted bfing friends who I'm sure would provide milk if I needed it. However, if it was milk from a smoker vs. formula I would pick the smoker's milk.

Sarah-B 03-11-2013 12:20 PM

My LC said breast milk is best for baby weather the mom smokes or not.

Kätzchen 03-11-2013 02:00 PM

First I would question why I could carry a baby then not provide milk (I know off point, just..honest answer).

Hypothetically speaking breastmilk from a smoker would still be better. I personally would not ever feel comfortable giving my babies formula.

Hi-Dog 03-11-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 16383977)
First I would question why I could carry a baby then not provide milk (I know off point, just..honest answer).

Hypothetically speaking breastmilk from a smoker would still be better. I personally would not ever feel comfortable giving my babies formula.

What? There are women (like myself) who physically could not provide enough breastmilk for my child (due to PCOS and insufficient glandular tissue). So, if you can carry a baby, it is not a given that you can breastfeed.

Sorry, I just get very heated about this because my DD could have died if not for formula (she lost 1.5 lbs in a week and was starving as I tried to nurser her round the clock). And believe me, all the drugs, supplements, water, pumping, old wives tales and LCs in the world could not make my breasts produce more milk. I chose I would not use donor milk, because it personally makes me uncomfortable and I think milk from a smoker would be more dangerous than formula.

Tris 03-11-2013 03:48 PM

I probably wouldn't ever use donor milk. If I couldn't BF I would FF without guilt.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 03-11-2013 04:07 PM

I would give formula before touching/offering any milk tainted with smoker stink. Cigarettes are absolutely disgusting, so for me,formula would be our choice.

evasimone 03-11-2013 04:23 PM

I personally would try and find donor milk from a non smoker and I would wonder what other habits the smoker might have that they aren't forthcoming about. Sorry.

I guess if I really knew the person well I might consider it but a smoker that wasn't a relative or close close friend? Nope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 16383977)

Their are women that are wonderful mothers that are unable or unwilling to breastfeed. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't have babies. This is coming from someone who fought like hell to breastfeed my dd and has been successful against most odds.

My experience has made me sympathetic to mothers who decide not to breastfeed or are unable. I think sometimes when someone has an easy experience with breastfeeding it makes it easy to just categorize mothers who don't as lazy or bad mothers. Perhaps if your nipples became so raw and pus filled for weeks that fabric would stick to them and you were unable to wear a top or bra for over a month, your baby wasn't gaining weight, you'd spent hundreds of dollars on LC, hospital grade pumps, tongue tie procedures etc. you might change your views. Prior to my experiences I thought a lot like you and couldn't comprehend how I wouldn't breastfeed my child. And then I went through all of the above and it was like eating a huge slice of humble pie. I am ashamed of how judgmental I was. But let's hope you never have to deal with any of that. :2cents:

tibeca 03-11-2013 04:33 PM

While I believe 100% that breastmilk (even from a smoker) is better for baby than formula, I couldn't fathom giving my baby breastmilk from a smoker over formula. We have such a ridiculous list of food allergies, that no one would be willing to avoid all the foods unless it was their baby, so only super hypo allergenic formula would work for us (and even then it would make my kids sick). Lets hope nothing ever happens to me. Although I'm sure I have enough friends that could tolerate a restricted diet for a few months to pump enough to get my baby to 1 year with 100% breastmilk.