Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   I'm running low on milk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499870)

keonli 03-14-2013 09:09 AM

I'm running low on milk

I started building a freezer stash at 3 weeks pp. But then, my mother tossed out the first 3 weeks worth of milk saying they were spoiled (they weren't, but baby refused the bottle so she assumed the older milk was spoiled and tossed them).

I'm a FTWOHM and I've been pumping less milk this week because I've been a bit stressed and have had late meetings almost ever day. Once or twice I had to miss a pumping session because of my hectic schedule.

DD also hit a growth spurt and has been drinking more. I tried to pump at home every 2 hours but couldn't even get half an ounce yesterday. On a typical day, with 3 pumping sessions at work, I will get 9-10 oz, with almost 5 oz the first time I pump in the morning.

Today, I only got 3 oz. I only have 10 oz in the fridge for DD and I'm worried that she will not have enough tomorrow. DH stays home with her but works nights, and I don't want him to deal with a crying, fussy baby demanding more milk.

I've been taking Fenugreek, eating oatmeal, and drinking tons of water. I know this worrying isn't helping out, but I can't help it. What is the best thing to do in this situation? Would you offer formula? DD has a dairy sensitivity so what would be the best kind if I were to go that route?

evasimone 03-14-2013 11:25 AM

Re: I'm running low on milk

I would offer formula especially if you feel like your DD will be hungry. Breastmilk is great yada yada but baby needs to eat. :goodvibes: I am not sure what brand would be best maybe a soy based one? Sorry your mom threw out your milk. I would have cried!

Also maybe once you aren't worrying about if your DD will have enough milk your output will increase. When I first started pumping I was so worried about getting enough that I was barely able to pump anything. Once I had formula to fill in the gaps and didn't have to worry I feel like I was able to pump more and then after a week I was pumping enough to stop the formula.

kaylamae 03-14-2013 11:28 AM

Go and get some Brewer's Yeast flakes..mix with grape juice or something similar to mask the taste. I had surgery after my 2nd and my milk was drying up ...I took 2 glasses of the yeast and 5 hours later my breasts were full of milk. Works so well!

kaylamae 03-14-2013 11:30 AM

I agree with the formula too..I wouldn't do a cow milk base though...my son threw up and threw up when we tried that when I was trying to feel in the gaps.

My MIL threw my milk away too...I was so angry and upset. Pumped milk is like gold. Sorry you are going through this.

l_Kimmie_l 03-14-2013 12:22 PM

Call and get a script for reglan or domperidone. I use reglan and it has allowed me to keep up with DS milk needs for 11 months.

Nerissa 03-14-2013 12:28 PM

I would definatly get a non-milk based formula to help get you through this slump. A fussy, crying, hungry baby is not going to help your stress level. I would mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 BM so the taste isn't completely different.

I had to do this with my first two kids. I just could not pump enough at work to keep up.

I am sorry your mom through out the milk.

Nerissa 03-14-2013 12:28 PM

I would definatly get a non-milk based formula to help get you through this slump. A fussy, crying, hungry baby is not going to help your stress level. I would mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 BM so the taste isn't completely different.

I had to do this with my first two kids. I just could not pump enough at work to keep up.

I am sorry your mom through out the milk.

jlsquire0324 03-14-2013 03:59 PM

I struggle w/ supply and have noticed an increase taking brewers yeast regularly. I also pump after each nursing session. Grape juice and oatmeal w/ brown sugar mask the taste well. It's pretty pricey, but about the same as a can of formula. Use the formula and do what you can to increase supply. Just make sure you are stimulating your body still when you give a supplement. I think that knowing my baby is not hungry and satisfied helps ease my anxiety. Show yourself some grace and know that you can only do your best ;)

jlsquire0324 03-14-2013 04:00 PM

O ... and I would be beyond irate for someone to have thrown my hard earned liquid gold in the trash!! Grrr!

Van1300 03-16-2013 07:21 PM

I pump and work out of home too. When I need to boost my supply, I nurse at the breast as much as possible, sometimes letting baby hang out there for an hour or more in the evenings. I also drink water like it's going out of style. (The girl who sits across from the bathroom at work knows I pee constantly). I also pump more on Mondays then on Fridays and save the extra for the end of the week. Oh, and GET SOME SLEEP. After 4-5 hours of solid sleep, plus another 3-4 more, I feel like a new woman and my supply increases!