Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Insurance Paid for my Electric Pump! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500019)

Kelly3139 03-14-2013 02:47 PM

Insurance Paid for my Electric Pump!

I just wanted to share this and hope that I may help some of you out who are looking to get a new pump.
According to the Affordable Healthcare Act insurance companies are now required to supply nursing mothers with access to a breastpump and lactation support.
The main thing is that your policy has to be effective on or after 1/1/2013.
If you have a new policy or your policy renews every year (ours does) then you should be eligible.

Simply call the customer support number on the back of your insurance card and ask what your policy effective date is. If it is after 1/1/13 a pump should be covered.

Ask if CPT Code E0603 (double electric pump) is covered.
E0602 is manual pump
E0604 is a hospital grade rental (mine offered the option of a free rental or purchase of a double electric).

You will also need to ask for a list of Durable Medical Equipment suppliers in your area. It has to come from one in order to be covered. There were no suppliers in our area so I ordered mine over phone from Cambridge Medical Supply and they charge $5 shipping and bill the insurance the rest.

The first time I called my insurance company the rep told me it would be covered on 2/1/13 when my policy renewed. I called on 2/11/13 to get a list of suppliers and was told that is was not covered under my policy. I was furious because I had already been told I was getting a pump. Then I figured out that BCBS had our policy effective date wrong in their system and that is why I was getting denied. Once we got that straightened out I was told I could purchase a double electric pump from any durable medical equipment supplier and it would be covered at 100% since I met my deductible. I wanted the Medela Freestyle which is an upgrade from the Medela Personal Double Pump that was covered so I spent $105 out of pocket and a Medela Freestyle was shipped right to my door!

I hope that this post will help some of you ladies out!

MDever 03-14-2013 03:00 PM

Re: Insurance Paid for my Electric Pump!

Wow, that is great information. Thanks mama.

shoebert 04-16-2013 10:45 AM

I think it just depends on your insurance company, mine was covered last year (2012) and all I had to do was submit a receipt. I asked if it needed to be purchased from any specific place, or if only specific pumps were covered, but they said anything I wanted and from anywhere!

Kelly3139 04-16-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoebert (Post 16502054)
I think it just depends on your insurance company, mine was covered last year (2012) and all I had to do was submit a receipt. I asked if it needed to be purchased from any specific place, or if only specific pumps were covered, but they said anything I wanted and from anywhere!

That is awesome :)

mariposablue 04-17-2013 09:53 AM

I just called my insurance co. yesterday to find out about this and next I'll call the Cambridge Medical Supply as that is closest to me! But I have to go figure out which one to get as they have a few options. How did you decide?

Kelly3139 04-17-2013 11:19 AM

I had a Medela PISA in the past so I had all the attachments and my bottles fit it so I knew I wanted that brand. Plus I like the dual stage sucking motion that only Medela has, I think. I was not crazy about my PISA I thought it sucked to hard for my preference I always had it turned down low so I went with the Freestyle although it cost me $100 where the PISA is only $50 bc people say it sucks at a lower pressure due to being battery operated. I haven't even taken it out of the box yet so I can't say yet which one I will like better. A PISA is very dependable and has rave reviews. My old one was used to pump exclusively for four children and for a my daughter who I pumped a good bit with. It is still going, I passed it on to friend in need when I found out I could upgrade!

shoebert 04-18-2013 07:32 AM

I have a Freestyle (insurance) and a PISA (from a friend) and I like both. I agree with Kelly3139, the PISA seems to suck stronger. The Freestyle works well but I find it pretty finicky as far as getting it on just right so it sucks well - I always have to adjust it a few times whereas with the PISA it just goes on and is fine.

The freestyle is great for freedom of movement though!! Except my DH hates it when I walk around the house doing stuff while pumping. :-)

onion 04-22-2013 09:19 PM

I got a PISA free too from insurance. And for me coverage started Sep 2012.

greenfrogger 04-23-2013 01:37 PM

Mine was covered 100% but I had to buy from a supplier chosen by my insurance company. I did have to wait until after I had delivered before they would ship.

FrozenBooty 04-23-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoebert (Post 16508024)
I have a Freestyle (insurance) and a PISA (from a friend) and I like both. I agree with Kelly3139, the PISA seems to suck stronger. The Freestyle works well but I find it pretty finicky as far as getting it on just right so it sucks well - I always have to adjust it a few times whereas with the PISA it just goes on and is fine.

The freestyle is great for freedom of movement though!! Except my DH hates it when I walk around the house doing stuff while pumping. :-)

Hubby should try being attached to a pump for awhile.... Its a serious time sink..
I wish i could move around