Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is 2oz a day worth it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500108)

Catbutt Diapers 03-14-2013 08:34 PM

Is 2oz a day worth it?

Lulu has decided to stop nursing - she just absolutely refuses to anymore. So I've been expressing 3 times a day (morning noon and night) to at least keep her getting a tiny bit of milk. The problem is I'm down to only making about 2oz total in a whole day... does the tiny 1 or 2oz she get make a difference? Is it really worth the 45 minutes a day i spend to get that tiny amount?

edit: She is currently 8.5 months old, and was EBF till 6 months, then formula day/ BF morning/evening/night, at 8 months started STTN and completely refused to nurse about two days after that.

mibarra 03-14-2013 08:44 PM

I can't see on my phone, how old? The answer will be different for different mamas. Unless she's still pretty little it would not be worth it to me personally.

Catbutt Diapers 03-14-2013 08:50 PM

Re: Is 2oz a day worth it?

added her age (8.5months) and nursing history to the original post.

mommaroo2Lou 03-14-2013 10:11 PM

I wouldn't think it is worth it, personally. I would probably save a few ounces in case of an illness or something that a little bit might help with. Something like that happened with my daughter around that age. The only reason I could see to keep it up is if you think there is a chance you or she would want to resume nursing later, which can happen as they become toddlers.

Sarah-B 03-14-2013 10:17 PM

My dd is the same age and is nursing very quickly now. Doesn't want to miss a thing. If I were you I would be (and I do this now) drinking a gallon of water per day & offer as much as possible. If she still won't take it & with drinking a gallon per day I was only getting 2oz I would prob stop. But I would save Luke 20 oz in case of illness.

I find if I nurse dd in a quiet place or while laying down she will nurse way longer.

Good luck & hugs mama!

birdinhand 03-14-2013 10:17 PM

Totally up to you. Any breastmilk a baby gets is beneficial. I would weigh it against how you are coping with the pumping. That is a lot of effort for you. If it were me, I would probably just be done. But totally up to you, if it is working for you or not.

Catbutt Diapers 03-15-2013 01:58 PM

How would I convince her to try nursing again? The last few times we have tried have been cuddled up on the rocker in her room at night, so the perfect atmosphere, and she still just wants nothing to do with the boob. I had always planned on nursing till 1 year :( and everywhere I look it says I'm a horrible mother for not nursing at least 1-2 years. I really want to continue on...

Midwife@heart 03-15-2013 02:30 PM

You are not pumping enough. You should be pumping both breasts at the same time for about 20 minutes every two to three hours. Doing this your supply will increase. Artificial milk will never give her the nutrition she needs.
Check out kellymom.com for ways to get her back to bf fulltime.

l_Kimmie_l 03-15-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers (Post 16399282)
How would I convince her to try nursing again? The last few times we have tried have been cuddled up on the rocker in her room at night, so the perfect atmosphere, and she still just wants nothing to do with the boob. I had always planned on nursing till 1 year :( and everywhere I look it says I'm a horrible mother for not nursing at least 1-2 years. I really want to continue on...

You are NOT a horrible mom. My oldeest stopped nursing when he was 4 months. I dried up. He is happy, healthy, and gifted academically. We formula fed from 4 months on. All my children have had some formula at some point of their first year for some reason. It is what it is.

If it was me pumping all to get 2 ounces per day, I would personally stop. The only way I would continue is if I was on reglan/domperidone and pumping every 2-3 hours to increase supply. You would need to drink a ton of water too. Whether or not you have the time and patience for that only you know. If I had only one child then I could, but with the 4 I have, no way do I have time. So do not feel bad, you have done great!!!

abunchoflemons 03-15-2013 02:46 PM

You can use for teething frozen things to suck on to help