Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Doulas X post (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500221)

l_Kimmie_l 03-15-2013 09:42 AM

Doulas X post

Doulas, I am going for mine this year. I would love to hear other people's process and how they did it. I am thinking of doing the reading, joining DONA, and the breastfeeding/birthing classes now and the actual Doula course later. Or should I do the class first and then all the other stuff?

I would love to hear others' experiences. I know this is what I was meant to do and plan to get my Post Partum Doula as well. I already help women get pregnant, I would love too see them from conception through pregnancy, birth, and after.

birdinhand 03-15-2013 01:04 PM

Re: Doulas X post

The thing about the DONA process is, you can take small steps to get it done. Just for motivation, I would highly recommend you try and make arrangements to get to a training first, if you can. I love DONA as an organization and have been a DONA doula since 2004.

If you can't get to a training, then yes, do whatever you can. But I think the breastfeeding requirement can't be done until after the training to count? But I am not sure as that was not a requirement when went through the process.

l_Kimmie_l 03-15-2013 02:01 PM

Perfect. I will get the training done first (it will give my LO time to get a bit older) and then finish the other reqirements. I believe there is a two year window to finish everything before or after doing the class. I might re-read the books earlier though as that is easy to do.

Thank you for your insite. Do you enjoy being a doula? What have your experiences been like?

birdinhand 03-15-2013 04:03 PM

I love it :). I am on hiatus aas baby is due in the next month, but I know it is always something I will do to some extent in my life. I first became a LLL Leader. Then I decided I wanted to be a doula. A few years after that I became a Lamaze-certified Childbirth Educator. I love it all!

And these skills will never be wasted -- it's not like getting a degree in math and then staying home with your kids, kwim? (I hate math, lol). The nurturing aspect of it really is an extension of being a mom, with just applying those principles to women on that day of their unique experience of birth. The thing about birth is, it's a day when you work hard. There are days when we play, days when we have to re-roof the house, days when we are sick, days when we get to go to the parade. The day you have a baby is a day of hard work. No one can do this for the mama, but she doesn' have to be alone while she does it.

Feel free to stay in touch or ask any questions.

l_Kimmie_l 03-15-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdinhand (Post 16399719)
I love it :). I am on hiatus aas baby is due in the next month, but I know it is always something I will do to some extent in my life. I first became a LLL Leader. Then I decided I wanted to be a doula. A few years after that I became a Lamaze-certified Childbirth Educator. I love it all!

And these skills will never be wasted -- it's not like getting a degree in math and then staying home with your kids, kwim? (I hate math, lol). The nurturing aspect of it really is an extension of being a mom, with just applying those principles to women on that day of their unique experience of birth. The thing about birth is, it's a day when you work hard. There are days when we play, days when we have to re-roof the house, days when we are sick, days when we get to go to the parade. The day you have a baby is a day of hard work. No one can do this for the mama, but she doesn' have to be alone while she does it.

Feel free to stay in touch or ask any questions.

I am glad to hear you love it. I know many aspects of healthcare are hard in many ways. I worked in nursing for 15 years. I loved my patients so much but hated the politics. I am hoping it will be different with this seeing I am working for my client, not the hospital/birthing center.

I am sure I will have many questions.