Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Over supply/foceful letdown?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500855)

Christylkeller 03-17-2013 03:45 PM

Over supply/foceful letdown??

Okay mommas! I need help! This is my 4th baby that I have nursed, but my 1st with green poos and LOTS of spitting up. From what I have researched, it seems that I might have an over supply and/or forceful letdown issue, but I really am not sure.

LO is almost 2 weeks old. He nurses every 2-3 hours during the day and 4ish hours overnight. His poos are green and seedy/curdly about 90% of the time and then yellow and seedy/curdly the rest of the time. He has plenty of wet diapers. He is also VERY spitty. I don't know if I would call it projectile based on the definition that I understand it to be, but it is A LOT and with EVERY feeding. He isn't very fussy at all. He has had EXCELLENT weight gain (12 oz in 5 days).

I just started block feeding today. I fed him on one side, and needed to burp him 3 times during that feeding. The spitting up seemed a bit better with him only really puking during one of the burping times.

So, what do you ladies think? I am considering calling the LC this week if I don't see a difference. Is there something to be concerned with? Is block feeding the way to go? Ahhhh... so confused.

I do want to mention that I have always had a great supply and this is the 1st time that I didn't feel like I needed to pump at the end of the day to ease up on the engorgement because he seemed to take everything that I have and be satisfied with it.

TIA for any help and insight you can offer!

l_Kimmie_l 03-17-2013 05:44 PM

Re: Over supply/foceful letdown??

Block feeding is what I would try first. See if he gets more hind milk if the green poos will go away. If he is gaining, not crying in pain, and over all happy then I would not worry about it. If he is in pain try block feeding and cutting out dairy to see if that could be part of it. Hang in there. Things will regulate fast. I noticed I regulated faster with #4.

babychewbacca 03-17-2013 09:11 PM

I am a ftm and was having an issue with the green poop and gassiness. I started feeding ds on one side until it was empty (usually 2-3 feedings) then switch to the other. It has helped a lot with both problems. My ds is a snacker so it takes a while to empty one side but it has helped.

Christylkeller 03-19-2013 07:22 AM

The block feeding seems to be helping. Poos are turning more yellow and there has been a whole lot less puking! Woohoo!!

So, will this be how we have to feed our entire nursing relationship, or once my supply evens out and his system develops more, will we be able to adjust?

l_Kimmie_l 03-19-2013 07:36 AM

I always had to block feed in the beginning but as I regulated I was able to nurse from both sides at each feed.

babyike2011 03-20-2013 02:19 PM

Not to hijack, but when is my supply established? I have an uber forceful let down and constantly feel "full". LO is almost 7 weeks and is very spitty and is fussy. She's a snacker as well:( my boobies ache all the time and she's constantly eating!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Connor 03-23-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyike2011 (Post 16416703)
Not to hijack, but when is my supply established? I have an uber forceful let down and constantly feel "full". LO is almost 7 weeks and is very spitty and is fussy. She's a snacker as well:( my boobies ache all the time and she's constantly eating!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

It can vary. Some women notice it slows around 3 months, others not until 6 months. Just depends on you and baby. :)

kaydove 03-27-2013 06:11 PM

They say your supply evens out at 12 weeks but it didn't until 4 or 5 months for me. I had oversupply and forceful let down too. The form of block I used was nursing 3 times on one side then switch vs for a set time period.

abunchoflemons 03-27-2013 06:28 PM

Around like another thread that mamas were saying imbalance in fore and hind milk. I will leak to no end with my overactive/ hard let down but nights where I feed only from one side at each wake. My milk necer changed from described earlier with my nowv23 month but 14 month at time of wean.

MystikRaider 03-27-2013 08:02 PM

I've been block feeding my DS2 since about 8 weeks, after taking time to rule out dairy. He is now almost 6 mos and we still only do one side a feed. He still has some spitty issues (sucks with him trying to figure out how to army-crawl) but the gassiness and green frothy poo went away almost immediately. He definitely has no problem gaining weight doing block feeding as he's still coming up in 75-90th percentile. My extended family likes to tease that I don't have milk, just pure cream.