Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can I do anything to increase my supply during pregnancy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500937)

ashley84 03-17-2013 08:41 PM

Can I do anything to increase my supply during pregnancy?

I'm 12.5 weeks pregnant. I'm only nursing my 5.5 month old 3 times a day because I just don't have any milk anymore. I was EBFing her & pumping extra when I got pregnant. My supply slowly dwindled at the beginning of this pregnancy and then it took a drastic dip in the last couple of weeks. I'm so frustrated. I just want to make more milk. I tried those Motherlove More Milk drops for pregnant moms. They didn't work. They just tasted awful. Someone told me that they experienced dips in supply during their pregnancy, but that it did get better. I'm trying to hold out hope.

Have you nursed through a pregnancy? What was your experience? What can I do to increase my supply?

birdinhand 03-17-2013 09:57 PM

Re: Can I do anything to increase my supply during pregnancy?

I nursed through two pregnancies but my nurslings were much older and not getting most of their caloric needs via milk -- there were 17 months old and 3 years old. They didn't seem to care there wasn't much milk, they nursed anyway.

I don't know what you can do to increase your supply as your body is going back to the pregnant phase, not the nursing phase. Your body works to meet the needs of the baby inside of you first. I would be cautious about taking supplements unless you have checked out if they are okay to take while pregnant (I know fenugreek and blessed thistle are contraindicated for pregnancy, not sure about anything else).

Many moms who have younger nurslings find they will have to supplement with formula during pregnancy.

Sarah-B 03-17-2013 10:56 PM

Make sure you are drinking 1gallon of water per day. That is my only advise sorry I have never nursed during pregnancy but my friend has and is and she saw a drastic improvement when she drank more water. Also I would try pumping whenever you give your baby formula.

tibeca 03-18-2013 07:51 AM

Supply dips during pregnancy are simply part of pregnancy. You absolutely can continue to nurse, but you should not expect to be able to meet your baby's caloric needs during pregnancy.

I have nursed through 2 pregnancies. With each one, my supply increased slightly around 16-18 weeks when my milk converted to colostrum. That said, we are talking about making only 1 ounce to 1 1/2 ounces per nursing session. If you want to continue nursing and go on to tandem, you will need to keep your young baby at the breast as much as possible, or they may wean, regardless of what you may want.

tjsacosta 03-18-2013 07:55 AM

Basic lactation cookies and LOTS of water!!

l_Kimmie_l 03-18-2013 08:17 AM

My son was 6 months old when I got pregnant. I went on Reglan and was able to breastfeed till he was 11 months old and 6 months pregnant. I had to be on it as nothing else was safe or worked.

I know many here do not like Reglan, but it worked/works for me if and when I need it. It has helped me nurse 3 babies and pump full time for a forth.

birdinhand 03-18-2013 11:06 AM

I do know docs will sometime offer Reglan or Domperidone during pregnancy to help maintain a supply, but it is usually because of a really important reason, likeyour baby can't tolerate formulas or has a severe health issue. Otherwise many docs will recommend formula so you and the baby are not exposed to too many medications. It can be hard to find a care provider who sees the benefit of breastfeeding over the convenience of formula, in a situation like this, regardless of what the evidence shows us of the safety of a med during pregnancy.

Kandarpa 03-18-2013 11:15 AM

My son was almost 3 years old when I became pregnant, so it's different but I can say that drinking lots and lots of tea made from fennel seeds helps lactation and is safe in pregnancy. Also eating very well and more than when I'm not pregnant helped increase my milk supply.