Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   If you didn't BF your first... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501025)

MothyrGrimm 03-18-2013 08:48 AM

If you didn't BF your first...

and you were trying for #2 would you give your milk to your older child too? I wasn't able to BF my son which just KILLS me, makes me cry even thinking about it. I was so lost and confused and my hospital didn't have any lactation consultants while I was there and it was over before it started. Me and dh have decided to try for #2 after a late pariod got us really excited. I know some ladies still BF while pregnant and *in theory* I'd still be BFing since ds is 17 months. Is there any way for me to maybe pump some while I'm pregnant for ds? Is it of any benefit to give him my milk since he's going to be two or older by the time baby #2 gets here? I just plan on giving it to him in a cup, and I feel like it would still be a benefit since he's still growing but I'm not sure how it works for children his age. Any advice would be great.

Also any BFing supplies must haves and favorites would be wonderful!

abunchoflemons 03-18-2013 09:15 AM

They say breast til age two. I was pregnant and I had to stop as my milk dried up on my 14 months at that age.

Must have: Medela pump, cleaningwipes/steam baGS,bottles,bags as i'm expressing more than baby eats sometimes so you could freeze for teething or donate.

Try milk supply things if you need. I didn't find our about mothers milk plus for pregnant and nursing moms til Hee but too late by then.

VeganCupcake 03-18-2013 09:37 AM

Re: If you didn't BF your first...

There are still benefits for older children--immunological and nutritional ones, particularly. My 4.5 year old is still nursing and I think it is still very good for her. But one thing--he might not be interested in breast milk because it tastes different from other "milks" he may be used to. I had the opposite situation: my DD wouldn't drink any kind of milk or milk-like substance except breast milk until just recently.

If you're going to pump for your older child, you need to establish a supply for your baby, so I would focus on learning as much as you can about nursing before baby is born. Start going to LLL meetings when you are pregnant, read as much as you can (The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, Dr. Jack Newman's Ultimate Guide to Breastfeeding Questions, The Nursing Mother's Companion, Dr. Sears' Breastfeeding Book, plus many others), watch videos of good latch, etc.

Good luck! I know of several moms who have struggled to nurse their first but had great success with later babies.

l_Kimmie_l 03-18-2013 09:40 AM

Re: If you didn't BF your first...

I nursed all mine at least a bit, but my first was the least time at only 3-4 months. I wish I could have longer, but it just did not happen for many reasons. I could also not give him breastmilk once he finally got a brother, as there is an eleven year spacing....LOL!

My second son was nursed 11 months then I dried up. I was 6 months pregnant with number 3. I tried to get him back on breast milk at 15 months when my third was born. He wanted none of it. I could hide it in his bottle with the pediasure he drank (long story), but that was as close to it as it came. I pumped for a second baby with nursing my third, so had a huge over supply.

Fashionably Green Baby 03-18-2013 10:24 AM

It would depend on how breastfeeding was going with the new baby. But then I don't like to pump so I wouldn't be as likely to do it.
I failed at breastfeeding my oldest (only made it 3 months) for several reasons and I have the same guilt. I wish u had done more and tried harder but I can't go back. She was 3 1/2 when DS was born so I didn't even think about trying to pump for her but even if I had wanted to it wouldn't have been easily attainable. I had a very rough nursing experience with DS because he was reflux, colic, and FTT even though I had more than enough milk. He was constantly sick, I had to pump between feeding and put that in an sNS to use when he nursed (long story) and I could go on and on. He finally weaned at 11 months because we had to start supplementing with elecare formula and he liked it better :cry:

With YDD nursing her was a dream (and she nursed until 18 months!!!!)
But I couldn't pump for DS because he can't tolerate dairy and soy and I didn't want to do an elimination diet when YDD didn't need it