Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Tale of a CD addict (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501140)

Terra76 03-18-2013 01:56 PM

The Tale of a CD addict

My first dd now 9 we used only sposies. To be honest I didn't even know cd's were still in existence. 4 years later, I was expecting our first ds. DH and I were walking around babies R' Us with me being hugely pregnant when we approach this end cap. This end cap has something called "Gdiapers" on it. We pick up a box that someone had half ripped open and I say "ewe are they really cloth diapers?!?!? :yuck: " Dh looks a little intrigued and i walk away.

A few weeks later we returned and Dh again was drawn to these Gdiapers. He looks at me and says "what about these?" I remember thinking to myself "this man has lost his mind". I laughed said something like "yeah right! your Crazy!" and walked away. Then DS came :lostit:.

We used sposies on DS for the first 4 months. Things got really bad for us financially :cry: we reached a point where it was hard to afford the disposable diapers. It was a real low point for us. With my tail tucked between my legs, I went and bought a pack of Gerber prefolds, pins and plastic pants from walmart. I washed every day.

We had lots of leaks. I then found diaper swappers. I then found FSOT on Diaper swappers and got a dozen little lion prefolds and 2 thirsties covers....the addict was born. That was over 4 years ago.

I like to remind my DH that it is his fault :giggle2: I mean, I didn't even know cloth diapers still existed but he kept pushing the gdiapers on me. I never did buy any Gdiapers though I think of them often.....I may get one just for kicks....I think my Dh would die laughing :giggle2:

That's my story! What's yours?

mms1972 03-18-2013 02:09 PM

Years ago I happened upon some diapers at a garage sale when my now 13 year old was a baby! They must have been fitted ..I bought a few...I think the were like $1 each..LOL I don't think I ever used them because I didn't know what to cover them with LOL. When I got Preggo with my 5 year old another mama on the TTC board I was on was talking about Fuzzibunz and i was curious....i dont think it was long before i found DS and an addict was born ...I went seriously diaper crazy. With my now 1 year old I have scaled it back, but I have spent more than I wanted too. I am going to maybe limit myself to 1 diaper purchase a month or something.......I know I can't just go cold turkey! LOL

QuartzandPyrite 03-18-2013 02:14 PM

Re: The Tale of a CD addict

Oh my goodness, you should get a gDiaper just to frame it in your laundry room or something!

:popcorn:

Once upon a time there was a girl, who was raised in a "green" city where everyone recycled and rode bikes and were generally earth lovin folk. Although she wasn't much of a hippie, she liked recycling and using towels and washcloths instead of paper that got thrown away. She had one hippie father, one salt of the earth midwest mother, and a lot of curiosity about the world. At the age of 16, she read a book about eco-conservation and became aware of how nasty diapers are in the landfill. But that kind of stuff is for MOMS to be concerned with, so she did her part and not much else.
BUT- here's the real story:

Let's be honest, in general she was a fabric junkie.
Her whole life had been spent sewing clothes and quilts and she made her living making dresses. Cloth diapers, while a fanciful notion that only MOMS had to worry about, were not a strange concept.

Then she graduated college, and her friends started having babies. She started a business making dresses that produced no fabric waste, and the notion of materials of any kind in the landfill was crazy all of a sudden. "Look at all this garbage!" She said "And most of it is fabric- and diapers. Hm"

A couple of friends were using diaper services so she knew they were out there. And when gDiapers set up their HQ in the same building as her studio (no joke- talk about enabling), the curiosity then killed the cat.

Because even though she didn't have kids or a husband or even a boyfriend, she became obsessed with cloth diapers. She didn't buy any, mind you. But she knew waaaaaaaaayyyyy too much about them for any mid-twenties single gal out there.

Fast forward a few years, and the guy is found, the girl is married, and there's a little bundle on the way. Naturally she chooses gDiapers because she feels a certain loyalty- they were her first! She buys a whole "stash" of gDiapers for her little man, and waits patiently for him to be born.

He is born. And boy can he poo! And the gDiapers are great. But what's this- something different? A prefold! A pocket! A whole community of people and all they want to talk about is sweet fluffy buns!
The stash expands.
The addiction takes hold.
The girl becomes pregnant again (an excuse to buy more diapers, her husband chides).
The stash is sold.
Purchased.
Re-sold.
Repurchased.

She knows what she wants (from a diaper). She knows what she's all about (when it comes to diapers). She is confident in her place in the (diaper) world, and about her future.
The stash is complete.
For now.

ashleyg103 03-18-2013 02:18 PM

First ds was in sposies, then got pregnant with twins and a mom from our playgroup was telling me about cloth diapers. I though they were really cute and would maybe try them if I was only having 1 but twins? I didnt think I would have the time or energy. Well the boys came and holy diapers!!!! I didnt think 2 little boys could go though so many diapers we were spending easily $300 a month on just diapers not including wipes and they always had a nasty rash. By the time they were 3 months old I had enough did some research and bought 24 charlie banana pockets. Fell in love! Got 4 diaper safari pockets and 4 kawaii pockets. They were super easy, so cute and best of all my boys rashes went away and never returned but I was washing diapers every single night. So hubby told me to go ahead and order whatever I thought I needed to make it easier on me and then I found ds! Now Im totally addicted and want to try everything but iv settled on my first set of pockets, a few bg 4.0s and the rest of my stash is prefolds and covers and fitteds and wool for night.

Pixi6s 03-18-2013 02:22 PM

Mine started with gDiapers too. My SIL sent me a link to gDiapers about a year before we started TTC/NTNP. I thought it was interesting. I joined the yahoo group and learned all about them. By the time I was PG I had learned about the WW of cloth diapers. For #1 I bought a vast array of cloth including gDiapers. We love the AI2 systems, including gDiaps for the younger baby -- the extra piece isn't really helpful for older kids and is just another piece that can get old. I like being about to reuse the covers of AI2 systems even if its a prefold and cover.

I actually attribute that moment to my cloth diapering as well as being really eco-friendly in general. :) IT got me into composting and finding ways to make our lives more friendly in general. We recently bought our first all electric car....

nachoslyn 03-18-2013 02:29 PM

My first was born in '03. I was really young and dealing with a child who was highly allergic. All through his NB days etc, he had horrible rashes all over his bum and privates and one day it just got to the point of bleeding. My doctor stated he was probably allergic to something in the disposable diapers we were using. After tons of lotions and changing him from one sposie brand to the other I had just about given up.
Then I began doing my research and found the wonder world of CD's thought the Mothering website! I was so happy to have a solution for my son. I still remember my first week in cloth. It was the best week for us. My son's bum never looked clearer nor did he have any other flare up there after. :thumbsup:

kalibratx4 03-18-2013 02:42 PM

Hmmmmm what is our story lol

I think it went something like this....

Family and friends we are considering cloth diapers for our baby "ewwwww you will never stick with it" well when someone says you can't do something it's like a conquest. Of course I never realized what the quest would become :)

and the enlightening ways it led us to making greener choices everyday!

holocene 03-18-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuartzandPyrite (Post 16408599)
Oh my goodness, you should get a gDiaper just to frame it in your laundry room or something!

:popcorn:

Once upon a time there was a girl, who was raised in a "green" city where everyone recycled and rode bikes and were generally earth lovin folk. Although she wasn't much of a hippie, she liked recycling and using towels and washcloths instead of paper that got thrown away. She had one hippie father, one salt of the earth midwest mother, and a lot of curiosity about the world. At the age of 16, she read a book about eco-conservation and became aware of how nasty diapers are in the landfill. But that kind of stuff is for MOMS to be concerned with, so she did her part and not much else.
BUT- here's the real story:

Let's be honest, in general she was a fabric junkie.
Her whole life had been spent sewing clothes and quilts and she made her living making dresses. Cloth diapers, while a fanciful notion that only MOMS had to worry about, were not a strange concept.

Then she graduated college, and her friends started having babies. She started a business making dresses that produced no fabric waste, and the notion of materials of any kind in the landfill was crazy all of a sudden. "Look at all this garbage!" She said "And most of it is fabric- and diapers. Hm"

A couple of friends were using diaper services so she knew they were out there. And when gDiapers set up their HQ in the same building as her studio (no joke- talk about enabling), the curiosity then killed the cat.

Because even though she didn't have kids or a husband or even a boyfriend, she became obsessed with cloth diapers. She didn't buy any, mind you. But she knew waaaaaaaaayyyyy too much about them for any mid-twenties single gal out there.

Fast forward a few years, and the guy is found, the girl is married, and there's a little bundle on the way. Naturally she chooses gDiapers because she feels a certain loyalty- they were her first! She buys a whole "stash" of gDiapers for her little man, and waits patiently for him to be born.

He is born. And boy can he poo! And the gDiapers are great. But what's this- something different? A prefold! A pocket! A whole community of people and all they want to talk about is sweet fluffy buns!
The stash expands.
The addiction takes hold.
The girl becomes pregnant again (an excuse to buy more diapers, her husband chides).
The stash is sold.
Purchased.
Re-sold.
Repurchased.

She knows what she wants (from a diaper). She knows what she's all about (when it comes to diapers). She is confident in her place in the (diaper) world, and about her future.
The stash is complete.
For now.

:lostit:

mommy2sammy 03-18-2013 03:12 PM

I watched an episode of dirty jobs where mike was working for a diaper service. Went to google, because that couldn't be real, google led to ds, where my first fitteds were purchased used! And are still being used today with my second child, who is now 2.5. I will never let go of that first set ;-) then made a small order from cotton babies...and the rest is history.

HappiMom 03-18-2013 03:16 PM

Mine started with the options at Babies R Us as well. I was super interested in cloth prefolds. I received two cloth diaper cakes for my baby shower made with Gerber prefolds and pins. My mother told me that she used cloth for us at home because she was so poor. My daughter also had rash issues that started from day 1, litterally brought her home from the hospital with the worst rash I've ever seen. My mom kept telling me to put those cloth diapers on her, but she never actually showed me or told me about "plastic pants." DH and I just winged it and put one on her at 3 months old and she peed right through, of course. So, I went to BRU and found gDiapers. I thought they were cute and I liked the idea of hemp. But....my daughter hated them and would cry when I put them on her. They always left horrible red marks on her so I gave up.

I tried every single disposable brand. After a year and a half of managing rashes and changing her within minutes of her every pee, I enrolled her in daycare. The daycare refused to change pee diapers sooner than every 2 hours. The only time they'd check her earlier than 2 hours is when she pooped between changes. Obviously a horrible chronic rash developed to which their solution was to cake desitin all over her butt and legs. It was awful and stinky every day. Finally I consulted google and found cloth diaper websites and diaper service. REAL DSQ cloth diapers. Covers?! What are these things? The daycare showed me some BG that another kid wore and I discovered pockets. Then I discovered diaper lotion potion spray in lieu of wipes and my daughter never had another rash again. Ever.