Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I am vomiting and breastfeeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501394)

kittenbaby77 03-19-2013 12:10 PM

Stomach pain started at midnight then i started throwing up. Trying my best to hold fluid and some soup down. i continue to breastfeed.... Worried that my milk supply would go down. I was feeling dehydrated and dizzy so I made an appt to see the doctor in AM.

While I felt dizzy and sick, my lo held my finger and smiled at me. His sweet smiles and cooing voice made me strong. Although I did not have strength to pick him up anymore with lack of food, lack of energy. ( hubby doing all the lifting) I continue to breastfeed.... I have no idea how I still have milk with so little food.

Lo slept 7 hours straight thru the night again and I felt better after 24 hours battle with the sickness. I can finally eat again and drink without nausea.....

Life as a new momma sure is hard. U guys have my respects!

birdinhand 03-19-2013 01:19 PM

Re: I am vomiting and breastfeeding

Milk is made from your blood, not necessarily from what you eat or drink. I am sure your supply dipped a little, but it is totally safe to continue nursing through a stomach bug as long as you aren't taking any meds you can't breastfeed on. By the time you turn up sick, your baby has already been exposed to whatever you have, so there isn't a point in trying to stay away to keep her illness-free. Usually if babies get a stomach bug, when they are nursing, it is much less of an ordeal.

Here's to hoping your lo stays well and you have a speedy recovery.

l_Kimmie_l 03-19-2013 01:28 PM

Glad you are feeling better. A stomach bug while nursing cannot be fun at all.

kittenbaby77 03-19-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdinhand
Milk is made from your blood, not necessarily from what you eat or drink. I am sure your supply dipped a little, but it is totally safe to continue nursing through a stomach bug as long as you aren't taking any meds you can't breastfeed on. By the time you turn up sick, your baby has already been exposed to whatever you have, so there isn't a point in trying to stay away to keep her illness-free. Usually if babies get a stomach bug, when they are nursing, it is much less of an ordeal.

Here's to hoping your lo stays well and you have a speedy recovery.

Thx. Lo is full of energy even when I was sick. I am almost recovered..... Maybe after a big steak and potatoe meal!!

kittenbaby77 03-19-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
Glad you are feeling better. A stomach bug while nursing cannot be fun at all.

Not fun at all! After a few lbs of weight lost after being sick and in bed, I realized how much we go thru as a mother who is breastfeeding and how important it is to have a supportive husband!!

birdinhand 03-19-2013 05:50 PM

I got a stomach bug when my last lo was about a month old. And we were away from home for the holidays! I spent the first night at my mom's, even though we were staying with my in-laws (they live blocks apart). I figured it I needed my mom I could get her (dh had to go back home for work). Then next day I spent at my sister's in bed and she took the baby until he needed to eat so I could rest. That night I was feeling marginally better and I went back to my in-laws. The next day all I could do was sit in a rocking chair in their living room and nurse my baby while I also nursed Gatorade, lol. Misery!!!

Glad you are on the mend.

missdawn25 03-19-2013 06:33 PM

I was pregnant with dd and nursed my son the entire pregnancy. I has severe hyperemesis and vomited so badly in the beginning I lost 13 lbs and was hospitalized. I could not even keep down a sip of water. Ds still nursed, still got milk. Glad you are feeling better, eating and had help.

keen1981 03-19-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittenbaby77
Stomach pain started at midnight then i started throwing up. Trying my best to hold fluid and some soup down. i continue to breastfeed.... Worried that my milk supply would go down. I was feeling dehydrated and dizzy so I made an appt to see the doctor in AM.

While I felt dizzy and sick, my lo held my finger and smiled at me. His sweet smiles and cooing voice made me strong. Although I did not have strength to pick him up anymore with lack of food, lack of energy. ( hubby doing all the lifting) I continue to breastfeed.... I have no idea how I still have milk with so little food.

Lo slept 7 hours straight thru the night again and I felt better after 24 hours battle with the sickness. I can finally eat again and drink without nausea.....

Life as a new momma sure is hard. U guys have my respects!

Just keep
Nursing. You will make the milk.

evasimone 03-19-2013 07:05 PM

So sorry you feel sick. Nursing and puking sounds awful!

Kätzchen 03-19-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittenbaby77

Not fun at all! After a few lbs of weight lost after being sick and in bed, I realized how much we go thru as a mother who is breastfeeding and how important it is to have a supportive husband!!

Yes! This! I was admitted with a severe case of mastitis and I was unable to move, my awesome husband held my baby to my breast for very feeding, day and night until I got better.

I caught the norovirus a few weeks ago. I had nonstop vomiting for 24hrs and a 19mo who nurses ALL day..no fun nursing a crazy toddler while throwing up. :( hope you're 100% soon!