Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Update on Andy (delayed speech) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501573)

airmans_angel 03-19-2013 06:33 PM

Update on Andy (delayed speech)

Today we had our appointment with the speech pathologist and she tested him and he scored a 65, which is said to be a serve disorder, so we start speech once a week for 30 minutes until our insurance approves two 45 minute sections a week. He was also diagonsed with sensory disorder (SID).

I just feel so overwhelemed with all this news and its hard. I feel like its my fault, if I did things differet in my pregnancy or something he wouldn't have all these issues. I just want my little boy to be healthy and people to stop saying oh he should be talking more, should be potty trained. Its so much.... :(

SweetMamaKaty 03-19-2013 06:50 PM

Re: Update on Andy (delayed speech)

As hard as it is, you cannot let yourself go down the guilt path. My daughter has sensory issues without a diagnosis (just aged out of early intervention and we do pt on the side) and low muscle tone. I only mention this so that you know I understand where you're coming from (and am struggling with the same things!)

I just keep loving her for who she is, instead of mourning her struggles. And YAY for you Mama, for going the extra mile for him now! You're giving him a head-start that not every child gets. People won't understand, but that's ok. You're his Mommy and always will be - we didn't want our children to have difficulties, but we're doing everything that we can from this point forward to give them the best life possible!! You can do it, and I'll bet his progress blows you away. :)

airmans_angel 03-19-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMamaKaty (Post 16413658)
As hard as it is, you cannot let yourself go down the guilt path. My daughter has sensory issues without a diagnosis (just aged out of early intervention and we do pt on the side) and low muscle tone. I only mention this so that you know I understand where you're coming from (and am struggling with the same things!)

I just keep loving her for who she is, instead of mourning her struggles. And YAY for you Mama, for going the extra mile for him now! You're giving him a head-start that not every child gets. People won't understand, but that's ok. You're his Mommy and always will be - we didn't want our children to have difficulties, but we're doing everything that we can from this point forward to give them the best life possible!! You can do it, and I'll bet his progress blows you away. :)

Thanks Mama! It is hard, and we are trying as much early intervention as we can, we found a prek through our public school that will come to the house, and work with him, along with his speech and Occupational therapist.

I really needed to hear this, its just been such an overwhelming day.

eileenAKAmommy 03-19-2013 06:58 PM

It's not your fault! Don't feel guilty! God gave you him because he knew you could handle it and give him what he needs!

Jonathan has autism, sensory processing disorder and generalized anxiety. As hard as some days can be for him or I, I couldn't imagine him any different!

SweetMamaKaty 03-19-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airmans_angel (Post 16413677)
Thanks Mama! It is hard, and we are trying as much early intervention as we can, we found a prek through our public school that will come to the house, and work with him, along with his speech and Occupational therapist.

I really needed to hear this, its just been such an overwhelming day.

Yes, this is def a good-days / bad-days thing for our family! Hopefully everyone sleeps well tonight, and you can have a fresh start in the morning. :)

airmans_angel 03-19-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileenAKAmommy (Post 16413693)
It's not your fault! Don't feel guilty! God gave you him because he knew you could handle it and give him what he needs!

Jonathan has autism, sensory processing disorder and generalized anxiety. As hard as some days can be for him or I, I couldn't imagine him any different!

I know God gave him to me because I can handle it, just feels so hard today because its so much to take in at once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMamaKaty (Post 16413727)
Yes, this is def a good-days / bad-days thing for our family! Hopefully everyone sleeps well tonight, and you can have a fresh start in the morning. :)

He is curled up on the couch right now, watching wheels on the bus, laying on my lap. :) we should sleep well tonight as long as my mind shuts off.

TakaraBaby 03-19-2013 07:13 PM

Just wanted to give you some :hugs:! I didn't read the backstory (I don't know if it's posted elsewhere) but my son also has delayed speech and our pediatrician recommended speech therapy. Right now he's 3 years old and he's just starting in a daycare/preschool - I think that will help immensely. We'll consider starting therapy in the summertime.
Anyway definitely don't think that it's your fault. We parents do the best we can with all the love and well-being for our children being a constant consideration. Sometimes things just happen and develop the way they do because.... well, because they do! Our daughter was raised in the same environment, had the exact same type of pregnancy and birth as my son and she is excelling in school and has never had a developmental problem. So who knows why? Just hang in there - you're doing great things getting him one-on-one therapy. :hugs:

Leanbh 03-19-2013 07:57 PM

Honestly I felt the exact same guilt. I have two in speech now...they do a phonological program...so basically don't pronounce the words correctly. It's really confusing at that age of 2 ish as you know they speak tons but then you realize more and more that it's not being understood.

The good news is that my older guy in speech is now in 1st grade, he will do most likely one more year and then be done. It's really amazing what difference it makes and how the time has gone. We opted for 2 years(well 1.5 by the time he got evaluated) at a speech preschool through the school district...amazing program, 5 hours a week but that included snack, art so not a true 5 hours of therapy. Then once he hit school he just does 30 mins a week. No biggie, kids in class leave for all kinds of reading dens etc so nobody really knows at this age. He is just working on his R's at this point which many kids don't reach until 2nd grade, one of the most difficult as there are 20 ways to pronounce it apparently.

The neighbor boy only needed a year of the preschool so every child is different.

My 3 year old is currently in the first year of this preschool and did EI for about 5 months....I'm 100% confident he will follow a similar path and be fine.

So here's even more good news!! My 1st grader doing speech......turns out he's really smart! I almost fell over last year when his scores were in the top 97% for math and I think in the 90%'s for English. Funny as we spent so much time focusing on speech that we probably overlooked it a bit. We can tell easily now that he is way ahead of ODS when he was that age. So just because your little guy needs help with speech, it's zero reflection on his intelligence. I know another mama said the same thing here recently on another thread. I also think all the phonic work helps them hugely with spelling and reading. Really getting a heads up for when they start school compared to most other kids who won't be doing it so much.

I don't know about the sensory issues but a close friend has a child with some and they just have certain rules and manage it at home and in school.

aries416 03-19-2013 07:57 PM

Oh Mama, my son has a pretty severe speech delay and sensory issues. He's been in speech therapy for a month and has made amazing progress. We just started OT too. I blamed my self and felt pretty hopeless for a while. But, he's the same kid he was before I got this confirmation and I love him just the same. I will fight for him and do whatever I have to do to help him succeed. He's surprising me daily with new accomplishments!

airmans_angel 03-19-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries416 (Post 16413948)
Oh Mama, my son has a pretty severe speech delay and sensory issues. He's been in speech therapy for a month and has made amazing progress. We just started OT too. I blamed my self and felt pretty hopeless for a while. But, he's the same kid he was before I got this confirmation and I love him just the same. I will fight for him and do whatever I have to do to help him succeed. He's surprising me daily with new accomplishments!

This is how I feel, hes my son still and the same kid that I have been raising for almost three years now. I want to give him whatever I can, and give him the help he needs so he can succeed.

Thanks to all the other mamas for the kind words, I needed that!