Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When to move to a toddler bed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501848)

katiegud 03-20-2013 03:20 PM

When to move to a toddler bed?

My dd is 2 and a half. She's been pretty good about sleeping in her crib, but lately when she's throwing a fit about bedtime she has been trying to crawl out. I've caught her up on the railing a couple of times, but she's been too upset to make it all the way out (she's also very short). I'm worried that if I move her to a bed she will never actually go to sleep. How old did you move kids up? Is she still too young? Or is it too risky to keep her in the crib on nights she doesn't want to be there?

l_Kimmie_l 03-20-2013 03:29 PM

Re: When to move to a toddler bed?

All my kids were in beds by 18 mos. They just stayed in them. Not sure if it just didn't occur to get out of them or what. But I placed them in bed and gated the door. Never had an issue.

kaydove 03-20-2013 03:34 PM

My friend was successful with putting the mattress on the floor before he was ready for a bed.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

coquelicot 03-20-2013 03:50 PM

My DD was 2 years, 9 months when I moved her. No issues. She was tickled to get a big-girl bed. She would get out of it at night to get a toy to sleep with or play with a little bit before falling asleep, but at least she stayed in her room, which is all I asked.

Nerissa 03-20-2013 03:55 PM

We have moved our kids to twin size beds at age 2. They were not crawling out of the crib but there was a new baby that needed the crib.

The boys all got race car beds--they have higher sides so no rails needed and none ever fell out.

SaraElise 03-20-2013 05:11 PM

The latest my kids were out of the crib was 18 months, that was my oldest, my others were 16 and 13 months.

It was a problem for *maybe* 2 nights, we sat outside their door and reminded them to get back in bed when they got out for maybe 30 minutes and that was that.

OneFishTwoFish 03-20-2013 06:35 PM

My oldest was 2.5 when he got his big boy bed. He had climbed over the railing of the crib so it was time. Like a PP mentioned, we just sat in the hall and reminded him to get back in bed. Did it a couple of nights and that was that.

My youngest is 20 months and still in a crib.

bcarroll9494 03-20-2013 06:44 PM

My DD just moved to a toddler bed. She will be 3 in one month.
She is off naps - but a good night sleeper, so I think that has something to do with how it has not been an issue with her being "uncaged" :giggle:
I was extra concerned because her room is on the first floor and the rest of us are on the 2nd. I was worried about her roaming free down there in the middle of the night. But she likes sleeping in her own bed.

Actually she started climbing out of the crib at 16 months and I put her in a backwards sleep sack since then and she was never able to climb out again. :hide: :giggle2:

BESMama 03-21-2013 12:38 PM

All of my kids went in a normal twin bed with safety rails at 2 yrs old.

Fashionably Green Baby 03-21-2013 12:50 PM

ODD moved to a toddler bed at 15 months and DS at 2 1/2. YDD is 20 months and I think I will move her in a few weeks. With ODD and DS they both did not stay in bed but they didn't leave their room. They would play around or get out the books and then they would go to sleep. I didn't mind as long as they fell asleep within a certain time frame (not staying up for hours).