Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Most insurance companies are covering BREASTPUMPS! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502161)

xtin 03-21-2013 02:19 PM

Most insurance companies are covering BREASTPUMPS!

Yup, you read that right! Under the Affordable Healthcare Act, health insurance companies will now pay for a breastpump!! I am thrilled about this!
my health insurance (United Healthcare) is now covering double electric breast pumps for NO COPAY and NO DEDUCTIBLE and I am told by the medical equipment company that most insurance companies are now mandated to do the same.

I qualify for either a brand new Medela Pump in Style or an Ameda Purely Yours and it is mine to keep. Plus, I am able to get a new pump shipped to my house every 12 months again with no money out of pocket!!! All I do is fill out an email form, call them when my baby is born next week (eeeeeeek!) and they ship it overnight mail to my home for FREE.

AMAZING NEWS!!! please call your health insurance company and ask about this. I was referred to Byram Healthcare and this falls under "durable medical equipment" in my plan, but it's definitely worth a shot to see if you qualify :)

Good luck, ladies!!

kkleinman 03-21-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtin (Post 16420703)
Yup, you read that right! Under the Affordable Healthcare Act, health insurance companies will now pay for a breastpump!! I am thrilled about this!
my health insurance (United Healthcare) is now covering double electric breast pumps for NO COPAY and NO DEDUCTIBLE and I am told by the medical equipment company that most insurance companies are now mandated to do the same.

I qualify for either a brand new Medela Pump in Style or an Ameda Purely Yours and it is mine to keep. Plus, I am able to get a new pump shipped to my house every 12 months again with no money out of pocket!!! All I do is fill out an email form, call them when my baby is born next week (eeeeeeek!) and they ship it overnight mail to my home for FREE.

AMAZING NEWS!!! please call your health insurance company and ask about this. I was referred to Byram Healthcare and this falls under "durable medical equipment" in my plan, but it's definitely worth a shot to see if you qualify :)

Good luck, ladies!!

I have united healthcare too and I hope I qualify for one! This is really exciting!

Dory 03-21-2013 10:30 PM

We have United Healthcare Student Resources. I wonder if they would cover? My son is 13 months now, though, so I don't know if they'd still cover. Probably not. :(

l_Kimmie_l 03-22-2013 07:39 AM

Re: Most insurance companies are covering BREASTPUMPS!

It is great they are finally covering breastpumps. It is about time. I wonder if you have to be a working mom or student to qualify.

xtin 03-22-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 16423083)
It is great they are finally covering breastpumps. It is about time. I wonder if you have to be a working mom or student to qualify.

Nope, I am neither of those!
worth calling to check out at least!!! I am thrilled breastfeeding is becoming more supported :)

EmmaGM 03-22-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 16423083)

I HATE this rule! I had massive oversupply but didn't qualify for a pump because I sah. Uhhhh there are a lot more reasons to pump than just a lack of access to your baby.

xtin 03-22-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 16424205)
I HATE this rule! I had massive oversupply but didn't qualify for a pump because I sah. Uhhhh there are a lot more reasons to pump than just a lack of access to your baby.

where do you see this rule? I am a SAHM and they didn't ask me any questions about my income, my job or my student status.

EmmaGM 03-22-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtin (Post 16424277)

where do you see this rule? I am a SAHM and they didn't ask me any questions about my income, my job or my student status.

sorry, I was referring to issues I've encountered in the past, not with this change. I'm hoping no one applies that rule now.

evasimone 03-22-2013 01:13 PM

It depends on the insurance company. I have BCBS but I need a prescription with a diagnosis to get one, oh and a double electric is considered a "convenience" so I need to pay extra for one of those... bah

keonli 03-22-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 16424205)

I work. I didn't qualify. My insurance says it will only supply a rental of a pump for the first 2 months. That's it. But my plan renews in a few days so I can call again and check. I have Tufts.