Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My DD's face (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502425)

keonli 03-22-2013 11:45 AM

My DD's face

She prefers to tilt her head to the left when lying down, and since she prefers to nurse off my right while sleeping, the left side of her face is starting to get a little bit flatter on that side. I've tried propping her up a bit when sleeping, as well as nursing on the other side while we sleep, but she always manages to wind up with her head tilted left.

Any suggestions? I don't want a wonky faced baby. :giggle2:

7mom7 03-22-2013 11:54 AM

Re: My DD's face

DS2 did this. He had torticollis. Often times babies with this condition will end up in a helmet but we avoided it by doing early intervention. We did chiropractic care, OFTEN. There was a time when he went 4 days a week. They advised that I not put him in swings/bouncers and I didn't. I ended up carrying him in a Beco all the time and making sure I turned his head towards his less favored side until he could turn it himself. It was so much work especially because I had a wild child toddler at the time but was eventually fully resolved. He was a bit delayed with pushing up and crawling because of it.

PrettyinPink89 03-22-2013 11:54 AM

Bah, I am going through this too with DS2. Hope you don't mind me "bumping" for suggestions :).

7mom7 03-22-2013 12:01 PM

Wanted to add the earlier the better. I was told that beyond 6 months it is almost impossible to correct without a helmet. That was true for a good friend of mine. Her son was around 8 or 9 months when they started trying chiropractic for his flat head and it didn't work. He ended up in a helmet. My DS was 4 months when we started.

keonli 03-22-2013 12:27 PM

DD has been seeing a chiropractor. I've expressed my concerns but she didn't think it wasn't too bad. She just told me to massage her neck muscles and offer more things from the right. Like bending down to her right while she's lying down so she will turn right. She does this quite easily. It's just that while she sleeps, she will automatically favor her left side and tilt her face that way.

Also, when I try to nurse her from the left, she is very resistant about 90% of the time (probably because the right breast has more milk than the left).

DD does see the pedi in a month, so I will be sure to mention it to him. You really can't notice it until you look closely, and of course I'd rather nip it in the bud now.

7mom7 03-22-2013 12:36 PM

Your situation sound so much like our. DS saw a chiro from birth but she wasn't too concerned about it either. By 4 months our pedi was very concerned (it seemed to get worse with time) and she sent us to a different chiro that she preferred for craniosacral therapy. That's when we started the intensive treatment. I had to nurse him on his non-preferred side with the football hold, they didn't want him on his flat side at all. There isn't much you can do for the sleeping part except tummy sleep but I wasn't comfortable with that. I did let him nap on his tummy. I'd put a little mat down on the floor beside me and watch a TV show while he napped with his head tilted to the correct side. I was probably too paranoid about the tummy sleeping thing.

keonli 03-22-2013 12:46 PM

Thanks for chiming in. My DD does get craniosacral adjustments with her chiro already. I'll try the tummy naps! I was worried about putting her on the other side and it elongating her head. I never had this issue with my DS, who had a HUGE head lol.

dpelephant 03-22-2013 12:48 PM

My ds had torticollis and we went to PT starting about 5 months. We held him a certain way and had stretching and strengthening exercises to do. It was resolved by about 10 months but would still tilt during a big learning step (crawling, learning to walk, etc) or when he was sick which we were told was normal. He never developed a flat spot I think because he was a tummy sleeper from birth. He is a totally straight and adorable 3 year old now. I was referred to peditatric PT by my family doctor, and was also told early intervention is very important.

keonli 03-22-2013 12:55 PM

Hmmm, I'm googling torticollis and I don't think DD has that. When we sit her up, she can definitely hold her head up straight. I'm not very familiar with torticollis, so I might be wrong.

ETA: And yes, I will most certainly bring it up at her next appt!

TeachinAuntie 03-22-2013 01:03 PM

I'd see a pedi about possible toroticollis. It effects alot more than just their head & face. We did 13 months of therapy. No helmet.