Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My baby HATES tummy time! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502450)

aimeelee76 03-22-2013 12:03 PM

My baby HATES tummy time!

Hi all,

My eleven and a half week old baby girl HATES tummy time. I have tried everything I can think of to make it more pleasant for her: distracting with rattles and bright toys, singing songs, talking to her, helping her get propped up on her elbows and supporting some of her weight, changing the tummy time surface, even having her do her tummy time on mommy's tummy!

She starts fussing almost immediately, and she will really start wailing and be verrry upset by about two or three minutes in. :banghead: What do I do? I can't just let her wail, poor thing. Has anyone overcome this problem at or around this age?

sisu 03-22-2013 12:59 PM

Re: My baby HATES tummy time!

We skipped tummy time (as recommended by our ped) for both kids, it was just too much drama and unhappiness to even be worth it. Both kids were crawling and walking and the early side of normal, so I don't think it did them any harm. :)

FindingMercy 03-22-2013 01:16 PM

Wearing her in a wrap or sling will use the same muscles that tummy time does without the stress of a baby who hates tummy time.

marenmccoy 03-22-2013 01:21 PM

Yeah our ped just told us to skip it. I wore ds a lot and he never had a smooshy head.

He was on the later side of normal for crawling and walking, but so what? Not worth the tears imo.

SaraElise 03-22-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy (Post 16424387)
Wearing her in a wrap or sling will use the same muscles that tummy time does without the stress of a baby who hates tummy time.

Yep, this is what we did too. All 3 of mine hated tummy time, none had flat heads, and 2 were walking at 10 months, so I can't say it really hurt them any not to have it!

NotLad 03-22-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

She's right.

EmilytheStrange 03-22-2013 02:31 PM

DD hated tummy time. I didn't worry about it too much until she started getting a flat spot.

Most of her tummy time ended up being on mom because that was happier for her.

I set a timer and I pretty much made her deal with it for about 5 minutes. I'd be there, playing with her, trying to distract her, etc. After 5 minutes, I'd relent and we'd do something else.

but I didn't start that until like... 4 or 5 months.

didn't end up being a problem in the end, she rolled, crawled, walked, ran just fine. Just didn't like tummy time.

ETA: I also wore her a lot, but she liked to be on the floor playing, and that meant she liked to be on her back.

abunchoflemons 03-22-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

my oldest hated tummy time. I didn't worry about it as she walked at 8 months but order she rolled over that was her way of getting around...just never stayed there. My other two don't mine tummy time. My second girl loved and only slept on tummy.

love4liam 03-22-2013 02:58 PM

My baby also hated tummy time until recently. I never forced it, I occasionally put him down for tummy time, as soon as a saw he wasn't thrilled to be on his belly I picked him up. I never let him get to the point of crying, I would pick him up even if it was on his belly for a couple of seconds. Then I would try a couple days or a week later. I also felt that it was no big deal if he never liked it. I would just check every now and then. However just this week he discovered flipping from his back to his belly and now he doesn't seem to mind being on his belly. I guess its because it was his decision to be there, who knows :-) He is a 5 1/2 months, in case you want a time reference.

Tina5834 03-23-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sisu
We skipped tummy time (as recommended by our ped) for both kids, it was just too much drama and unhappiness to even be worth it. Both kids were crawling and walking and the early side of normal, so I don't think it did them any harm. :)

This is us too.

It's unnecessary.