Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Calgon (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502496)

MamaBearof4 03-22-2013 01:39 PM

Calgon

For those who use Calgon when washing diapers, how often do you use it - every wash, every few washes? I have a FL and am not sure the best way to add it to the wash. I use powder detergent so I remove the detergent cup. Should I put it in the bleach cup? Thanks so much!!

kirst 03-22-2013 02:08 PM

Re: Calgon

I use it every month. I can feel my prefolds and inserts getting crunchy with hard water deposits after a few months of not using it, even drying in the dryer.

I add it with my detergent in the detergent cup.

JennyJack 03-22-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBearof4
For those who use Calgon when washing diapers, how often do you use it - every wash, every few washes? I have a FL and am not sure the best way to add it to the wash. I use powder detergent so I remove the detergent cup. Should I put it in the bleach cup? Thanks so much!!

I use it about once a month. I have a top load HE, so I wait until it has filled with water and then I stop the machine and add the calgon.

KdEMomma 03-22-2013 03:57 PM

I use it each rinse cycle but only about a quarter of the amount required in instructions and I put in it with the bac-out to help the enzyme cleaner work more effectively. I do a short rinse cycle and then a wash cycle.

robeccajr 03-22-2013 04:56 PM

I use it every wash too. About 1/4 to 1/2 the rec amountin the cold prewash with detergent.

MamaBearof4 03-23-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdEMomma
I use it each rinse cycle but only about a quarter of the amount required in instructions and I put in it with the bac-out to help the enzyme cleaner work more effectively. I do a short rinse cycle and then a wash cycle.

Just curious about bac-out - what is the purpose for using it with every wash? Does it help with hard water build up? Do you still use the same amount of detergent?

jgolas 03-24-2013 11:37 AM

I use Calgon powder sand addit at the same time as my detergent. I don't need anywhere close to the Rec'd amount. We have moderately hard water so 1T RnG HR + 1T Calgon powder does the trick for us.

I buy it from Amazon.

MamaBearof4 03-25-2013 03:10 PM

Thanks everyone!

HappiMom 03-25-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBearof4

Just curious about bac-out - what is the purpose for using it with every wash? Does it help with hard water build up? Do you still use the same amount of detergent?

BacOut is an antibacterial/ stain-lifter. Its basically natural enzymes - I think the main ingredient is lime extract. I spray it on every poopy dipe before it goes in the pail and also add it to the wash. I also use it around the house to disinfect the bathroom, diaper pail, carpet stains, etc. LOL it's pretty versatile.

kassarowl 03-25-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappiMom (Post 16434350)
BacOut is an antibacterial/ stain-lifter. Its basically natural enzymes - I think the main ingredient is lime extract. I spray it on every poopy dipe before it goes in the pail and also add it to the wash. I also use it around the house to disinfect the bathroom, diaper pail, carpet stains, etc. LOL it's pretty versatile.

Do you dilute it before you spray on poopy dipes, or just use it full strength?