Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Super Nanny (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502612)

Mara'sMommy 03-22-2013 08:31 PM

Super Nanny

What do you all think of her tequniques? Thoughts??

abunchoflemons 03-22-2013 08:55 PM

Her one approach on getting kid to sleep alone worked for my oldest. You start by crib & each night move away til you are out the door. I was in college & it helped so much to be able to put her down & not have to be by as I would fall asleep & not get my things done.

I liked her punish & hug. Would like ideas on older kids with like stealing & lying issues not just toddler age.

Other than that I haven't watched it recently.

Mara'sMommy 03-22-2013 09:32 PM

I was just watching it for the first time. I do time out with my 2 yr old like she does. It works sometimes. There was actually a child who was stealing but she was younger and didn't really understand the concept because her parents weren't showing her. Super nanny had her play shops and show her we have to pay etc etc

abunchoflemons 03-22-2013 09:36 PM

Yea mine is older so that doesn't work. Hard to get picture to not do when store manager is trying really hard not to laugh when h3e gets after you. Pastor said to corner til kid urinates in pants...I don't like that idea.

EmilytheStrange 03-22-2013 09:37 PM

Re: Super Nanny

I like how she's

1) consistent.
2) tries to figure out the root of why the child does things. As opposed to just disciplining them for it.
3) encourages people to talk to their children like real people.

cbreeding 03-22-2013 09:40 PM

The one thing I have noticed is that often the parents are not on the same page which creates a lot of conflict in the home. Getting the parents on the same page and supporting each other - basically having a united front - seems to make a lot of headway on getting the kids in the right direction.

Palooka 03-22-2013 09:49 PM

I don't remember what show this was, super nanny or nanny 911, but the one episode I watched the nanny spent a lot of time getting the mom to have fun with her kids. The mom was always stressed and angry, so the nanny forced her to be silly with the kids and engage them rather than boss them around. I thought that was pretty great.

Holly dolly 03-22-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I like how she's

1) consistent.
2) tries to figure out the root of why the child does things. As opposed to just disciplining them for it.
3) encourages people to talk to their children like real people.

This. We use several of her techniques...

Erinne 03-22-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons (Post 16426041)
Yea mine is older so that doesn't work. Hard to get picture to not do when store manager is trying really hard not to laugh when h3e gets after you. Pastor said to corner til kid urinates in pants...I don't like that idea.

:ahh: your pastor said WHAT?!:cry:

EmilytheStrange 03-22-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
I don't remember what show this was, super nanny or nanny 911, but the one episode I watched the nanny spent a lot of time getting the mom to have fun with her kids. The mom was always stressed and angry, so the nanny forced her to be silly with the kids and engage them rather than boss them around. I thought that was pretty great.

I saw a similar one. The mom was a neat freak and literally spent all day cleaning and yelling at the kids. The nanny taught her how to reorganize her priorities and enjoy her children.

Someone mentioned the parents not being on the same page and I agree. That's so huge - just having someone come in and say 'what you're doing is why it's not working'. Getting everyone on the same page is huge.