Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Leaking issue with FB (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502643)

usmcwife25 03-22-2013 10:11 PM

Leaking issue with FB

I am having issues with my FBs. We started using them in December on our 18 month old. They worked great for a month or so, then we started having issues with them leaking all of the sudden. I thought it was because we used coconut oil on a diaper rash she had (which at the time I thought was okay), but I have tried stripping them many, many times now and it doesn't seem to be helping. I even scrubbed each diaper and insert with a toothbrush and dawn, as a last resort. We did try tightening the leg openings this week, and they are now useable (the pee doesn't just run out the legs anymore), but she is still leaking out the front, back and/or leg holes sometimes. Does anyone have any recommendations for another way we could try stripping, perhaps? I have a front-loader HE washer and I feel that the stripping I've done isn't very effective in it, so some advice from HE users would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!!

Tiffany

kaydove 03-22-2013 11:08 PM

There might not be enough absorbency. Try adding an extra insert or newborn prefold as an insert.

The most success I had with stripping was using EcoSprout. I soaked them overnight in the bathtub in hot water and follow the directions for soaking with EcoSprout (it comes with the bag). Then rinse rinse rinse in my he front loader. The delicate cycle uses the most water.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

kelly679 03-22-2013 11:16 PM

Re: Leaking issue with FB

Are they repelling water? If you take a dry diaper and pour water on it does it soak in or bead off? If they are not repelling it could be a fit or absorbency issue.

lady longs 03-23-2013 02:11 AM

I am not guessing that its a stripping issue - but rather a fit issue or an absorbancy issue. Is your insert fully saturated when its leaking? If so, then you need to double stuff or possibly add an insert that can take more absorbancy - like a hemp or bamboo - I really like the thirsties hemp prefolds for super absorbancy and still being trim in the fb.

jennayoung99 03-23-2013 07:48 AM

I second an absorbancy issue. The microfiber inserts only worked for DD until around 4 or 5 months, then we added the thirsties hemp doublers, that worked for another few months, then we discovered walmart flats and i started making inserts out of those, they work great now. We can last 2-3 hours, sometime she'll still out pee a diaper in 30 minutes, but that's what you get with DD, lol. Oh and the minkie inserts never worked.

abunchoflemons 03-23-2013 07:52 AM

If single did you double with same issues?

nonipie 03-23-2013 08:46 AM

Well coconut oil is perfectly fine to use and washes out so there is no reason it would cause any problems. So then it seems like an absorbency issue. I would try cotton instead of microfiber.

usmcwife25 03-24-2013 07:48 PM

I hadn't thought of absorbency being an issue. I'll try some cotton inserts. Good to hear that coconut oil is okay to use! I was afraid I'd ruined them!

armywife2002 03-24-2013 07:54 PM

I have a mama at my daycare who uses fuzzibunz and is having a whole host of issues with them. She thinks it might be bad PUL or something, because they all have the same lot number. her little girl pees straight through the PUL.... its not just wicking, its the whole crotch wet, sometimes not 30 minutes after I changed her. I don't have any suggestions though. hope the extra insert works