Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   "Bracing" your car seat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502661)

Jenyquintero17 03-23-2013 12:32 AM

"Bracing" your car seat?

I have just recently heard about bracing your car seat in certain cars. I can't find very much documentation on the idea so I'm wondering if you guys have some insight. We have a 4 door 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer and a 2010 Toyota Yaris we have a Diono Radian RXT for our soon coming newborn and for our 22 month old who is still rear facing we have a Sunshine Kids Raidian RST? Or whatever the model is right under the rxt haha for our 22 month old we have the angle adjuster but I'm curious on your take about bracing a seat? Is it safe for the car seat to touch the front seats?
Thanks!

canadianbakers 03-23-2013 08:11 AM

Re: "Bracing" your car seat?

From what I've read - it's safe with some car seats (the radians are one of those that allow it), but it also needs to be allowed by the vehicle manufacturer. Maybe check through your vehicle manual?

mrosehughes 03-23-2013 10:07 AM

Check in both the child restraint and airbag sections of your car manuals, including all the little warning boxes. Many newer cars allow touching or even bracing on the driver's side but not on the passenger side, because of advanced airbags. The Toyota almost definitely doesn't allow any touching/bracing on either seat (we have a Prius; there's a hard to find warning box that says something like 'don't allow anything to touch the backs of the front seat').

jess71903 03-23-2013 10:17 AM

:yeahthat:. Radians allow bracing if the vehicles manufacturer does. For newer vehicles with advanced airbags, most don't.

Jenyquintero17 03-23-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 16426579)
From what I've read - it's safe with some car seats (the radians are one of those that allow it), but it also needs to be allowed by the vehicle manufacturer. Maybe check through your vehicle manual?

Thank you for the tip! I will definitely have to check the manufacturing instructions. Thanks :)

Jenyquintero17 03-23-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrosehughes (Post 16426869)
Check in both the child restraint and airbag sections of your car manuals, including all the little warning boxes. Many newer cars allow touching or even bracing on the driver's side but not on the passenger side, because of advanced airbags. The Toyota almost definitely doesn't allow any touching/bracing on either seat (we have a Prius; there's a hard to find warning box that says something like 'don't allow anything to touch the backs of the front seat').

I will be on the hunt for that warning label! I know we just need bigger vehicles but I'd rather not deal with that expense! Haha thanks for the tips!

Jenyquintero17 03-23-2013 10:43 AM

Darn those airbags! Just kidding I know they are good for something ;)
Well I'll check my vehicles but they probably do have those advanced airbags :/ thanks for the tips!