Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Meds, Ciropractic Help With Autsim? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502663)

Aub's 03-22-2013 11:38 PM

Meds, Ciropractic Help With Autsim?

I know I have only posted a few times here but now I have internet so hopefully I can stay up on this thread :giggle:

Man I don't even know where to start here, I guess I can give you some back story. Ezra is 3.5 years old and he was diagnosed with Autism back in November by his school and the CDRC. We have been dealing with this since he was 13 months old. He is non verbal, very, very aggressive and abusive and he does not eat much at all. He also does not sleep very well so he takes .01.5mg of Clonidine.

We did not want to medicate ever and we put it off for a long time but he just started to get to be to much for us to handle. We first tried to treat his OCD behaviors with Prozac and that lasted 5 days, it was just horrible and he was 100 times worse. After talking to the Dr again we decided to try to treat his hyper activity so we tried Ritalin. He's doing ok on it and he's taking 5mg 3x a day. It's in no way helped with his meltdowns and aggression but it has helped him with the eating. We are all surprised cause it's suppose to make him have no appetite but it seems to have done the opposite. The Dr is now thinking he may have ADHD to go along with his firs diagnosis but were going to hold off on that for now.

I have so much mommy guilt for starting these meds, I feel like a failure as a mom and I feel like I have given up on my child. Is anyone else going through the same thing as I am? This is all just so hard on us, he's so aggressive and he attacks us for no reason. The meltdowns are just getting to be so much for us. I swear he looks like we beat him from all the bruises on his legs from him slamming his legs and body in to stuff.

I feel like he needs to be punished when he lashes out on us and needs to know what he's doing is wrong but I have no clue where to start when it comes to this. I have been reading about ciro's and seeing some good stuff about this. Anyone have any background in this?

Aggggg sorry this is all over the place, I really don't know were to turn, I have no family, no friends, it's just my husband and I in this and were both in the same place when it comes to this. I guess if you got this far I should give you a gold star:giggle2: I guess I am just a mess right now, trying to deal with all this and stay sane. I just want to be the supermom to a SN child and not the anxiety ridden mom I am now:cry:

Aub's 03-22-2013 11:48 PM

Re: Meds, Ciropractic Help With Autsim?

Here's a mild meltdown of his, it's in two parts;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

Then to show how he hurts himself;

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 03-23-2013 10:08 AM

Your links are not working.

First of all, I want to offer hugs to you. It can be SO hard.
Second, I felt the same way as you did. After I could not take it anymore, we started medicating a few years ago. It was HORRIBLE. We finally pulled him off. I looked at as I was supposed to be the stronger one, an I just had to deal with it.
Fast forward almost 3 years: he had improved tremendously, but it is still so hard at times. For him, for me, for his peers, our family, his teachers. His behaviors and the way I dealt with them vs the way dh dealt with them started forming a HUGE wedge between dh and I.
I ended up having to go on anxiety meds. I was a ball if nerves. It was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack at one point.
He recently begged to go back on to meds again. I kept going back and forth, because like you, I did not want to be "that mom" that can not handle her child with out meds. The one that just adds to the statistics of kids being on meds. But it dawned on me, if he truly needs it, and it helps him, than I am doing him a disservice if I do not try everything possible to help him. That does not make me a failure. That makes me a mon that loves her child very much, and is willing to go to the ends of the earth to make her child's life a little easier.
I have posted this saying before, but I feel that it is very fitting here:
Even though having a child with special needs can be extremely hard on us, it is not happening to us. It is happening to them. We are just along for the ride. However hard it is for us, it is 1000% harder for them. Whatever it may be that makes their lives easier, we need to try and accommodate. Just do your research and trust your gut.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 03-23-2013 10:45 AM

I just realized how that may have come across. I am by no means saying that meds are the answer for everyone. We just now started meds again yesterday after 3 years of trying so many other things. Just that IF you choose the medication route, that does NOT make you a failure.
Also, hopefully a glimmer of hope for you: most autistic children to improve quite a bit as they mature. It does take them longer, and you have to teach them things that usually come naturally. But most likely he will not always be as drastic as he is now. He will hopefully learn how to express himself another way. Right now he understands that violence gets his point across. He is frustrated because he can not get hod thoughts across.
If you have not already check into baby signs. Ot made a world of difference for us. I started my neuro typical child at 4 months "just in case" and he was able to communicate simple needs by 6 months and much more a couple of months later. Mysmarthands.com is a great place to start. It is free, and it shows a video of the mom doing the signs and then her child. We loved it!