Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Those who wash at laundry mat's... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502720)

MothyrGrimm 03-23-2013 08:52 AM

Those who wash at laundry mat's...

How do you do it, and is it worth it with two in diapers?

DS has a sensitivity issue so we use pockets now. We would want to use pockets and nb aio's with no. 2 as well so we don't need two different stashes. I would line dry the shells and line dry inserts when possible. When we move we'll be remodeling and living in a decent sized 5th wheel RV so not a ton of space to line dry. Might not be able to have a line outside depending on the area we're at.

Is it worth it at this point? It's sounding like a LOT of work, time, and money. We really cloth diaper to save money and if it's not cost effective I don't think it's going to offset the amount of space it'll take up in the rv. :/ Any advice?

AZmommy 03-23-2013 10:19 AM

Re: Those who wash at laundry mat's...

it been a long time but I did it for about 6 months with my first.
my stash them was premium prefolds bummi SWW and fuzzi bunz pockets and a few hemp inserts plus homemade fleece liners and wipes (flannel and baby wash cloths)
I washed in a coin laundry once a week it was a $1.25 to wash and i used their large front loader which added a LOT of water and washed longer they were designed for like heavy bed spread and such.. They regular machines were $1.00 but shorter cycles..
I did one round on hot with whatever detergent and a downy of vinager. Dry was $.025 for 15 minutes, I'd did one occasionall 2 rounds but then used a drying rack at home to finish up.

Now I didn't have enough diapers to go a full week without washing so I did handwash at home, diapers were washed at the end of every other day day.. Poo diapers were dunked and swished as they came off the baby I also dunked and swished over night diapers and nap diaper or any tiem I felt they were well saturated with Pee. for the wash I used a large rubber maid container DH poked soem holes in and placed it in our tub..
Filled container with as hot of water I could and added some detergent I think I used ALLENS mostly using a toilet plunger bought JUST for diapers I used to additate the diapers I considered it my work out. Then that water was drained out and cool water added no detergent.. aggitated again, drained filled again aggitated and drained.. Diapers were rung out and hung to dry on an outside clothes line.
It was for us worth it because the cost of even the cheepest disposables full time was out of the question.. WHen I did get a washer back though we were much happier.

MothyrGrimm 03-23-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZmommy (Post 16427066)
it been a long time but I did it for about 6 months with my first.
my stash them was premium prefolds bummi SWW and fuzzi bunz pockets and a few hemp inserts plus homemade fleece liners and wipes (flannel and baby wash cloths)
I washed in a coin laundry once a week it was a $1.25 to wash and i used their large front loader which added a LOT of water and washed longer they were designed for like heavy bed spread and such.. They regular machines were $1.00 but shorter cycles..
I did one round on hot with whatever detergent and a downy of vinager. Dry was $.025 for 15 minutes, I'd did one occasionall 2 rounds but then used a drying rack at home to finish up.

Now I didn't have enough diapers to go a full week without washing so I did handwash at home, diapers were washed at the end of every other day day.. Poo diapers were dunked and swished as they came off the baby I also dunked and swished over night diapers and nap diaper or any tiem I felt they were well saturated with Pee. for the wash I used a large rubber maid container DH poked soem holes in and placed it in our tub..
Filled container with as hot of water I could and added some detergent I think I used ALLENS mostly using a toilet plunger bought JUST for diapers I used to additate the diapers I considered it my work out. Then that water was drained out and cool water added no detergent.. aggitated again, drained filled again aggitated and drained.. Diapers were rung out and hung to dry on an outside clothes line.
It was for us worth it because the cost of even the cheepest disposables full time was out of the question.. WHen I did get a washer back though we were much happier.

That's really great to hear!! I saw the plunger bucket washer on Pinterest but didn't think too many would be familiar with it. Do you thunk an entire stash of pockets would do okay? I know FuzziBunz OS fit ds almost from the start because of the adjustable elastic I might go that route instead of infant aio's....

Although now that I think of it I can't dunk and swish or use a sprayer in a rv...

AylaKay 03-23-2013 10:39 AM

I don't know about washing but would a portable dryer rack be an option for drying them? I live in an apartment so no clothesline. But I found a drying rack on Amazon that wasn't very expensive and folds up pretty slim so it doesn't take much storage space. I can post a link to the one I have when I'm not mobile if you want... It's really lightweight so easy to move around to put it outside on my porch or it easily fits in my small kitchen when its completely unfolded.