Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Washing machine for diapers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502722)

TLCx 03-23-2013 09:56 AM

Washing machine for diapers

Okay, so I wasn't exactly sure where to post this since it is technically about diapers... Any who my washer is busted and I'm in search of a new one my question is:

What would you say is one of the better washing machines for cloth diapers?

I've heard top loaders wash diapers better but wanted to get some other opinions.

staceyroo77 03-23-2013 09:59 AM

Re: Washing machine for diapers

I had a front loader when I started cloth diapering, it broke just over a year ago. DH wanted to fix it but I insisted on a top loader. I love the top loader for cloth diapers, much better than the front loader!

TLCx 03-23-2013 10:53 AM

Any brand in particular?

staceyroo77 03-23-2013 10:58 AM

We have a Samsung HE washer. I really wasn't looking for HE, but I wanted one that could wash large loads of clothes. Most of the larger washers are HE.

TLCx 03-23-2013 11:15 AM

I feel like I'm asking 20 questions now, haha. Does it have an agitator in the washer? I'm noticing the newer top loader washing machines don't have agitators anymore and not sure how much of a difference it makes.

mothergooseofthree 03-23-2013 12:31 PM

I have an HE TL. I HATE it with a passion. Nothing gets clean. When I replace it soon, I will be going back to a non-HE TL that fills all the way up with water and has a full sized agitator.

I have friends and family that have FLers and complain of stains, leaks, and mold. Everyone I have known IRL loves their HE machines (TL and FL) at first, then over time they come to dislike them and go back to regular washers.

MommyIshtar 04-16-2013 08:58 AM

I have an LG HE top-loader. At first I was very suspicious of it. Lol. "No agitator? So little water? No way it would work!" But I love it! I've had it for over a year now, and while my knee-jerk reaction when I see so little water in it (it has a clear top) is still one of distrust...lol...it gets everything just as clean as our old non-HE top-loader did. I'll admit there was a bit of a learning curve to it, as there are so many different options, but as long as you read the manual and get to know your particular machine, you should have good results. I've heard all the tales of front-loaders getting mildewy, but my grandmother's old front-loader never had any issues. Then again, that was 25 years ago! Lol.

DallasK 04-16-2013 09:16 AM

We bought ours new about 5 years ago, its a tl, not he, and I love it. It has all the settings I need (hot wash cold rinse then second rinse). So it's not as basic as our old one was. If it breaks is something hubby could fix, not like the space age computer based machines. My mom's FL just had a computer glitch and it was 250 to have a tech come out and fix it. An agitator is annoying when washing bulky bedding, but I wash clothes and diapers more than bedding so it's better for us I guess.

va703 04-16-2013 10:28 AM

I have an HE TLer that I love - it has the option of running a "conventional" (read: lots of water) cycle instead of HE. It doesn't have an agitator but I've never had a problem with things getting clean, even with just running a normal HE wash cycle. EVERYTHING is clean, even muddy kid clothes and, of course, cloth diapers. We've had it for 3 1/2 years, I do 12-15 loads of laundry a week, and we haven't had any problems with it at this point. It's a Fisher Paykel Aquasmart.