Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Allergy free dinner...HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502731)

Celeste 03-23-2013 09:53 AM

Allergy free dinner...HELP!

I am taking dinner to a friend this week, and they have multiple food allergies. I am way outa my league here. Their allergies are: gluten,egg,almonds,soy,wheat,spelt,rye,peanut butter,barley, dairy.

So....what's left?

Anyone have a dairy/bread crumb/egg free meatball recipe? I could do spaghetti squash and meatballs...

Hungry Caterpillar 03-23-2013 10:15 AM

Re: Allergy free dinner...HELP!

Hmm. Maybe corn tortillas dried out a bit, and ground to use as bread crumbs? Or crushed rice chex? I think that is gluten free. I'd think that vegan websites have exchanges for eggs for binding purposes - I think chickpeas is one?

I cooked a meal for a PP mama in my playgroup and they had major allergies. I found a lot of good exchanges on vegan websites for dairy items.

I didn't have to deal with as stringent of allergies, so I did an eggplant and mushroom "lasagna" with zucchini ribbons as the noodles. I layered slices of eggplant and portobello mushroom partly cooked already (so it didn't get too soggy) on the zucchini, and topped it with a faux dairy-free "cheese" I found in the vegan section of my market. Poured tomato sauce (I canned it last year so I know it was GF, but I am sure you could confirm at a market) over the whole thing and topped with more of the "cheese." I personally did not taste it :blush: She said it was really good, though. I liberally spiced the sauce with fresh herbs to jazz it up a bit.

When I pre-cooked the mushrooms I did it in olive oil and minced garlic, so they took on a nice roasty-garlic flavor.

Good luck!

Celeste 03-23-2013 10:22 AM

Veggie lasagna is a good idea! I will have to research the best tasting fake cheese. :)

Marianna1988 03-23-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste
Veggie lasagna is a good idea! I will have to research the best tasting fake cheese. :)

Read the ingredients carefully. Many cheese alternatives are almond or soy based. There are rice cheeses, but most still contain casein (milk protein). You may be able to find nutritional yeast at a health food store, which can be used to make vegan cheese sauce. (Use alternatives for milks and flours) http://ohsheglows.com/2011/08/18/qui...ipe-challenge/

Marianna1988 03-23-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste
I am taking dinner to a friend this week, and they have multiple food allergies. I am way outa my league here. Their allergies are: gluten,egg,almonds,soy,wheat,spelt,rye,peanut butter,barley, dairy.

So....what's left?

Anyone have a dairy/bread crumb/egg free meatball recipe? I could do spaghetti squash and meatballs...

And, this is one of my favorite vegan bakes (we are not vegan, just dairy/gluten free, vegan meals are easy to work with lol). I omit te breadcrumbs, and its still yummy. Its pretty allergy friendly. http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/795/...casserole.aspx

lady longs 03-24-2013 03:03 PM

I can help!! We are allergy free in our home.

I just discovered that paleo diets pretty closely match ours. Except they use eggs and we can't. I have found some great recipes there. You may be able to get paleo recipes online or in cookbooks at the librar.

Chili
Lots of soups - not cream based and u can use rice noodles in place of noodles

Any form of roasted meat and roasted vegie - use olive oil and salt - yum yum

Most good quality sausages are free of those allergens - made at counter at your deli. You can do spagetti squash, sausages, with marinara and roasted vegies.

For meatballs....
Any health food store (like sprouts) has gluten free bread crumbs - or buy gf bread and crumble it up. Use applesauce in the place of eggs

For a dessert - baked apples or pears with some type of oat\brownsugar\maple syrup combo. Maybe with some walnuts.

Or

There are lots of allergy free dessert mixes on the market. Either duncan hines or betty crocker makes one that's very good and at mainstream grocery stores. Use rice milk if need a milk substitute. Can use applesauce in place of egg (1\2 cup per egg).

You can pm me if u have any specific questions

slimy72 03-24-2013 03:31 PM

Rather than try to use a bunch of substitute products it's easier cheaper, and tastier to make meals that naturally fit their diet. What about Beef stew, or taco soup, or baked potato bar, or roast with carrots and potatoes. There are lots of meals out there that fit these allergies without a bunch of "fake" substitute products. How about chicken and rice casserole (no cream soups or dairy based), or chicken and rice soup. How about an asian stir fry with rice?

Celeste 03-24-2013 05:39 PM

Thanks, everyone! You have all been very helpful. I think I will make roast chicken, mashed potatoes (with rice milk), and carrots. Whew. I cannot imagine our lives without dairy, so this has been a stretch for me. :)

teacherpippi 03-24-2013 06:18 PM

Sounds yummy!

Make sure to check to see if the chicken has been injected with anything ("extra xyz for juiciness").

slimy72 03-24-2013 06:25 PM

You can make mashed spuds with chicken broth too. Or rissotto. Or do oven roasted herbed potatoes. I promise its not as hard as it seems. I always feel overwhelmed when I try to convert food. But once I sit and think I can usually come up with stuff that naturally fits what I need.