Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tamiflu during third tri (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503489)

tinytushi 03-25-2013 09:32 PM

Tamiflu during third tri

Has anyone taken Tamiflu during third tri? I was diagnosed with Influenza A this morning. This is the first day of being sick and OB prescribed Tamiflu. He said I sounded on the verge of getting pneumonia and he wants me to start ASAP. According to him and the pharmacist the only worries would be if I was in the first trimester. Thoughts?

palsmama 03-25-2013 09:49 PM

Re: Tamiflu during third tri

I wouldn't take it. I would just stay hydrated and rest. Also take elderberry tincture and Tylenol. It hasn't been shown to be effective enough for me to take it during a pregnancy or even not pregnant.

songbird516 03-26-2013 08:54 AM

no no no no. Tamiflu is NOT recommended or tested in pregnant women. One of the potential side effects is pnemonia!!! Garlic, vitamin C, cod liver oil...all of these support the immune system and have been tested MUCH MORE than Tamiflu.

Tamiflu kind of makes me angry.

Mom2Connor 03-26-2013 12:50 PM

I wouldn't see an OB I didn't trust, so therefore I would (personally) listen to the advice of my OB vs anyone else.

JMHO

RunawayBunny 03-26-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor (Post 16437411)
I wouldn't see an OB I didn't trust, so therefore I would (personally) listen to the advice of my OB vs anyone else.

JMHO

Agreed.

lina81 03-26-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor (Post 16437411)

JMHO

Even people you trust can make poorly informed decisions. My first loyalty is to to the wellbeing of my family and myself, not to my OB, and that means that whatever the doctor may say, I make an informed decision by checking out the research, contraindications, etc. on any medication prescribed. One of the problems with present day medicine in the US is that doctors often don't have the time to keep up with research on medications, etc. The research on Tamiflu indicates it may not be worth taking for anyone, and it is definitely not recommended during pregnancy.

Mom2Connor 03-26-2013 01:48 PM

It's not about loyalty, it's about not getting what can be lifesaving advice from the internet vs a doctor. The flu, as much as many here like to scoff at, actually does kill people. Pregnant women are especially at risk.

Kiliki 03-26-2013 02:45 PM

I wouldn't.

MadeofStarStuff 03-26-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor

JMHO

I agree. If prescribed, I would absolutely take it.

weesej 03-26-2013 04:04 PM

I would take it and did take it when I came down with influenza at 35 weeks this past January.