Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New to CD. So many questions need answering! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504023)

Kaitlynemma 03-27-2013 08:29 PM

New to CD. So many questions need answering!

Hi guys I'm due in three weeks and have been collecting bits here and there for our cloth diaper adventure.
I plan to cd from day one do my first question is: is 5 bummis whisper wraps and 24 prefolds enough for the newborn stage? They are being passed down to me and don't want to buy more unless totally necessary. We are tryin to keep it cheap. I didn't realize they were cloth lined and thought I could just wipe them out. Any experience with these?
I also have 4 flips, 12 stay dry inserts, 6 NB inserts and another 24 prefolds.
Will this take us all the way to potty training?
I had planned on buying 6-10 flip covers for later but am at a complete loss and dont know if I have enough already or need a ton more.

Also what's your favorite brand of cloth wipes? I'm looking more towards terry/flannel combo but am open to any recommendations!

People keep talking about wool for NB. I'm into the idea and have a sz m one I found at a thrift store but don't understand how to use it/why it's so great for newborns.

What diaper sprayer is best? Do they all work pretty decently? I'm looking on eBay .

My baby is due in 3 weeks and want to be completely prepared from the get go.
I tried gdiapers with my first over 6 years go (before they has cloth) and gave up way too fast but my husband and I are completely dedicated to cd now and cannot wait to start!

Any info on the newborn stage or beyond is greatly appreciated!
Thanks everyone!!!

QuartzandPyrite 03-27-2013 09:43 PM

Re: New to CD. So many questions need answering!

I might get a few more covers, especially if you can't wipe them down. If you're using prefolds you might want pins or a snappi to help with containment! :)

I would say you have a good start, you can always evaluate what your needs are and buy a couple here and there slowly. This is a great place to gather info and learn about products before buying!

jennayoung99 03-27-2013 09:51 PM

24 prefolds will work, just keep in mind you'll most likely be washing everyday. i agree about getting pins or a snappie, it will really help contain the poop and help with your cover dilema. your bigger size stash looks good, i wouldnt invest in anymore until you try it out. i don't have too much to say about cloth wipes, i just buy mine off of etsy, and i'm really not too picky. as for diaper sprayers, i really see no difference in brands. HTH GL!

tuxgirl 03-27-2013 10:36 PM

What size prefolds? Do you have any indication from your dr about estimated size of baby? What size are the other prefolds you have?

I would definitely suggest pins or snappi to attach the diapers. I personally prefer pins, but I've noticed that most people tend to prefer snappi...

Do you have a surplus of receiving blankets, or can you get some really cheap? Cotton receiving blankets (the super thin ones) are excellent for flats, and that might be able to stretch how often you need to wash.

Wool is nice, at least for nights. I try to use it for night now that my DS is sleeping about 5 hours at night (yay!!!!) I don't have much, and almost all of mine is made from thrift-store sweaters...

If you are concerned about the cover situation, you might want to consider getting some dappi nylon covers. They are usually 6$ for a pack of 2 covers. They might be a pain once you have breastfed blowouts, but by the time ds was getting poop out of the prefold/flat for me, he was fitting into new flats (but not the ones leftover from his sister... Those are still too loose in the elastic for him even now).

If your flats are used, expect to not be able to use them for a bit. You might be pleasantly surprised. Ds fit into new flips at about 4 weeks, and at 9 weeks is still not fitting into flips that were used for 9 months... I don't know how much other brands relax, but the flips seem to relax badly.

Nattiecake 03-28-2013 12:44 AM

I got some sherpa wipe blanks from Wazoodle.com and I use them for wipes. They're amazing! Super cheap, too, minus the shipping cost from Canada.

Lots of WAHM's make wipes too, check the WAHM forum here!

Kaitlynemma 03-28-2013 12:48 AM

I have 38 NB prefolds and I thought I had 2 dozen bigger pf but just realized they are all NB. I need to get some more! Haha
Yes I definitely plan on using snappis and not tri folding my pf. Does this actually hold
In poop better? It seems like it would.
My midwife has not guessed baby weight (she prefers not to) but I am measuring about. Week behind. Not that it makes much difference but at least I'm not ahead! My belly has been smaller this time around.

I have a few recieving blankets but not too many. That's a good
Idea though! I'll keep my eye out for more!
And the flips I have are brand new. Haven't even washed them yet so I hope they work out!!
Thank you so much for your reply!

Kaitlynemma 03-28-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennayoung99 (Post 16442775)
24 prefolds will work, just keep in mind you'll most likely be washing everyday. i agree about getting pins or a snappie, it will really help contain the poop and help with your cover dilema. your bigger size stash looks good, i wouldnt invest in anymore until you try it out. i don't have too much to say about cloth wipes, i just buy mine off of etsy, and i'm really not too picky. as for diaper sprayers, i really see no difference in brands. HTH GL!

Thanks so much! I'm definitely snappi-ing my prefolds! Seems a lot better that way and i don't mind the extra step. Does it really hold
Poo that much better?
Etsy seems like an awesome place to get wipes from what I can tell. I will keep
Looking :)

Kaitlynemma 03-28-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattiecake (Post 16443127)
I got some sherpa wipe blanks from Wazoodle.com and I use them for wipes. They're amazing! Super cheap, too, minus the shipping cost from Canada.

Lots of WAHM's make wipes too, check the WAHM forum here!

Just checked them out. Wow they are cheap! And organic!
Did you end up sewing yours or leaving them as is?
I don't have a serger but do have a seeing machine.
How thick are they?
Thanks for the recommendation!

Nattiecake 03-28-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitlynemma (Post 16443137)
Just checked them out. Wow they are cheap! And organic!
Did you end up sewing yours or leaving them as is?
I don't have a serger but do have a seeing machine.
How thick are they?
Thanks for the recommendation!

I left them as is. One side is knit, the other is fluffy. They work great without any sewing!

They're somewhat thick. I'd say normal for sherpa. I took a picture. If you can forgive my nail polish (or lack thereof). :)

http://i.imgur.com/TL623SH.jpg

Kaitlynemma 03-28-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattiecake (Post 16443147)
I left them as is. One side is knit, the other is fluffy. They work great without any sewing!

They're somewhat thick. I'd say normal for sherpa. I took a picture. If you can forgive my nail polish (or lack thereof). :)

http://i.imgur.com/TL623SH.jpg

You are so sweet to have taken a picture!
I think I'll order 4 dozen. Seems like an awesome deal!