Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I need some encouragement. My teeth are awful. And I'm sad. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504025)

Kiliki 03-27-2013 07:37 PM

I need some encouragement. My teeth are awful. And I'm sad.

I have to have my FOURTH root canal Friday. I am *SO* sad about it.

Three years ago I swore off the dentist when they kept hurting me, they were rude, and I couldn't find one that was gentle. the treatments were expensive, and the only teeth that ever bothered me were the ones that they drilled. I've been working really hard to keep my teeth healthy. I floss and brush everyday like I should. I've been keeping a pretty good diet, low in carbs, low in sugar, not a ton of processed food (that's my typical diet, I do still indulge in bad things, it's just not the norm for me, typically). I've been taking supplements.

Monday, I was eating a delish salad, with dried cranberries and pecans and strawberries :drif: and I chomped on a pecan and my tooth felt funny. And since then, I've been spitting pieces of my tooth out. It's *LITERALLY* falling apart inside my mouth. It's all jagged and I can SEE the hole in it where it's crumbling.

It doesn't hurt yet, but I am scared to death of tooth pain. :blush: So I went to the dentist. And if there's anything I hate doing, it's going to the dentist. I'd rather file taxes. I'd rather scrub toilets. I even think I'd rather run over an animal in my car or fall and expose myself to everyone in Wal Mart. I'd probably rather chew gum scraped of the table at a bar... than go to the dentist.

But I put on my big girl panties, pumped a bottle of milk for my 2 week old (b/c you know, this type of thing never happens to me at a more convenient time, I'm always dealing with this crap right when I'm about to have - or just had - a new baby) ... found a sitter... found a dentist... and went.

And I think he was scared when he peered into my mouth. I mean, he *actually* looked fearful. Not for himself, but for me. Like when you see a three legged dog trying to cross the street, or you see a toddler so proud that they've climbed to the top of your washing machine....

and I need another root canal. So on Friday, on DH's day off this week, I get to spend the day getting my crappy tooth fixed, and paying money we don't have, and using up my valuable family time that isn't expendable.

I'm just really down about it. It just stinks.

elizabeth.scalf 03-27-2013 07:52 PM

Sending hugs.

qsefthuko 03-27-2013 07:52 PM

Re: I need some encouragement. My teeth are awful. And I'm sad.

:hugs: that is rough.

mommabritt 03-27-2013 07:56 PM

I'm so sorry. That really stinks. :hugs:

happyhats 03-27-2013 07:59 PM

Other than the root canal, what else needs done? Was it a filling that cracked? Pregnancy can be rough on teeth as well.

I have a major dental phobia and haven't been in several years. I don't have the money for the major work I know they will want to do. I can totally sympathize. Have they talked about dentures?

terrordactyl 03-27-2013 08:08 PM

i know how you feel I just had my 3rd root canal and 2 teeth pulled in the last couple of months, I also have a feeling in almost everyone of my teeth and I am only 24, I hate the dentist and have had bad teeth since i was born. cavities at 3 yrs old. its definitely genetics with me.

debcita429 03-27-2013 08:10 PM

I am so sorry! That has to be a truly awful feeling. :(

On the plus side, your amazing body just incubated and birthed a new person. And that is pretty darn cool and better than some people can ever pull off.

NotLad 03-27-2013 08:17 PM

Pregnancy will kill your teeth. :( I'm one of those people you hate - I had never had a cavity until I gave birth to my second baby. THEN I HAD FOUR!!

Have you been screened for osteoporosis? Don't let that sneak up on you.

tmrobinson 03-27-2013 08:21 PM

I am sorry, I have definitely been there done that. I once went in for a cleaning and had 13 cavities and 4 of those were under fillings that they had to drill back out and put in new ones. I have lost count but I think I am 5 root canals, 1 bridge, and truly no idea how many fillings. Pretty sure I don't have an entire real tooth left in my mouth. My last root canal was literally a week after I got out of the hospital having dd #3. They said it probably would have felt worse sooner but I was taking pain meds from having my third c-section so once I got out of the hospital and wasn't taking them as often I really started to feel it. It was also in one of my front teeth and I will tell you that having novicane shots in the roof of my mouth was more painful than anything I have ever felt while in labor (I did go into labor before having my first two c-sections) or anything after having any of my c-sections. I have done everything I can not to my pass my dental phobias to my kids so made sure to find a great pediatric dentist that they love going to see. I am afraid though that my oldest seems to have inherited my bad teeth and just had her fourth filling and she is only about to turn 6. :cry:

kelpie169 03-27-2013 08:24 PM

I'm with you. I'm going in tomorrow. Thre is something wrong with every single one of my teeth and I need at least 3 root canals. And the crappy part is there is no amount of brushing, flossing, rinsing, ANYTHING that could have prevented it. Between genetics, bulimia for 4 years and horrible bouts of vomiting with pregnancy, my dentist is suprised I have any teeth left. So I feel you. Sorry darlin. :)