Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hip pain (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504141)

lynn97 03-28-2013 09:03 AM

Hip pain

Has anyone else experienced this in pregnancy? I'm not talking a little discomfort here and there - I'm talking absolute pain in one of your hips? I cant even walk normally. I had this with DS and it has been firing up with this one too :-( I am rarely comfortable these days as it hurts while sitting, standing or laying down. I'm only 21 weeks. My old OB said this was normal but I'm not convinced. I plan to seek chiropractic care but does anyone else have any suggestions? Oh, and this lasted through the last half of my pregnancy with DS and actually got worse towards the end. The pain was gone immediately after I delivered him too. Am I the only one struggling with this?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

SaraElise 03-28-2013 10:58 AM

Re: Hip pain

I've been having pretty intense hip pain since about 15 weeks, it started off as aching, and then got to the point of not being able to lift my legs to put on shoes, or step over things.

Most recently my pubic bone has started popping when I roll over at night. I am pretty sure at this point that it's SPD, it just hasn't gotten super bad yet.

I ordered a support belt this week and am hoping that it helps.

lynn97 03-28-2013 11:22 AM

Yes, Sara!! This sounds like me. With DS, it started at 14 weeks but this time it was around 18 weeks. It is just getting worse and worse. I also cannot put weight on my right leg in a normal way, hence the trouble walking. I thought it might be sciatica initially but this really feels like the hip joint itself. I have heard mixed things about the support belts but I hope it helps you. I have thought about trying one as well. Have you talked about this issue with your doctor or midwife?

newcdmommy29 03-28-2013 02:14 PM

I've been in significant pain since November. (Around 14 weeks) I'm now 29 weeks and it finally getting better. I've been doing physical therapy 2x a week and chiropractor (Webster method). I recently started acupuncture and kenesio-tape. I'm still not able to sit or stand for more than 15 minutes at a time. The issue started as SI joint dysfunction which caused the muscles in my lower back and butt spasm. I was on pain killers and muscle relaxers because the stress of all the pain was messing with my blood pressure. :/ I weaned myself from all medication except Tylenol as needed. It's awful and everyone I've seen has told me they've never seen issues as bad as this. :/ but I'm making progress all the time so that is great. :) hope you are feeling better soon. I'd look into a Webster chiropractor in your area. (If you are near Kansas City I have a great one for you) also, massage helps relieve the muscle spasms. It sounds like you are describing pain where your piriformis muscle attaches to your bone. It's a common issue during pregnancy because your pelvis moves and stretches that muscle. Anyway, hopefully you get some relief soon.

SaraElise 03-28-2013 02:47 PM

I haven't brought up more than the hip pain yet, but until recently I just thought it was normal ligaments loosening combined with the cold weather. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that it's gotten much worse, and the popping just started this week.

I'm definitely bringing it up at my next appointment though since it seems to have progressed a lot recently.

lynn97 03-28-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcdmommy29
I've been in significant pain since November. (Around 14 weeks) I'm now 29 weeks and it finally getting better. I've been doing physical therapy 2x a week and chiropractor (Webster method). I recently started acupuncture and kenesio-tape. I'm still not able to sit or stand for more than 15 minutes at a time. The issue started as SI joint dysfunction which caused the muscles in my lower back and butt spasm. I was on pain killers and muscle relaxers because the stress of all the pain was messing with my blood pressure. :/ I weaned myself from all medication except Tylenol as needed. It's awful and everyone I've seen has told me they've never seen issues as bad as this. :/ but I'm making progress all the time so that is great. :) hope you are feeling better soon. I'd look into a Webster chiropractor in your area. (If you are near Kansas City I have a great one for you) also, massage helps relieve the muscle spasms. It sounds like you are describing pain where your piriformis muscle attaches to your bone. It's a common issue during pregnancy because your pelvis moves and stretches that muscle. Anyway, hopefully you get some relief soon.

I'm near Springfield. But I will definitely look into finding a Webster chiro here. Thanks!

lynn97 03-28-2013 05:27 PM

Thank you, ladies. I don't know anyone else that has had these issues irl. I'm sorry to hear that you all are in pain too but it is good to know that it isn't just me. Massage certainly helps but it wasn't a fix alone. Hopefully I can get chiro or pt that will help.

mommyinthesun 03-29-2013 09:45 AM

I had SEVERE hip pain starting around 14wks. I would just be frozen in pain, crying, unable to move or escape the pain. I started seeing a chiropractor at 22(?) wks and that brought on some relief. I saw him weekly for 3 weeks, then biweekly over a 6wk period. Then as needed.
Hope you get some relief soon!

SaraElise 03-29-2013 10:39 AM

Update on the support belt, it's a lifesaver! I "practiced" rolling over in bed, and no popping! I'm not dreading days where I have to be on my feet for a little bit anymore.

KCmomma 03-29-2013 10:47 AM

I too have SI joint dysfunction and it is not fun! Chiro helps the most but while at home I try and stay on top of my PT. I will post some links to the exercises/ stretches that help me the most.
My favorite!
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s...ivation-_6.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s...ivation-_4.htm

I don't like the last one on this page, but everything else is good. http://www.angieslist.com/photos/pho...-exercises.htm