Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Panicking!! Help!! (Long) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504243)

Lyn1Lyn 03-28-2013 02:52 PM

Panicking!! Help!! (Long)

Ok so I just realized like yesterday that I have like 38-40 days left before LO arrives. I am due between 4/27 and 5/6.. I am having my first homebirth and am very happy about that, buuuuuut I am totally unprepared for this LO.
(Little Background- This is baby #5, but unfortunately after our last son 4 years ago, I had an IUD put in because he was our last. Therefore I got rid of all our baby stuff.. Crib, car seat, clothes, necessities, basically everything...)

So here's the problem, I have been using all my extra cash to pay off the midwife fees, (I have a 2nd job) I won't be able to use any of my xtra money to buy baby stuff until like the 2/3rd wk of April.. I have nothing and I am stressed...

I do have my cloth dipes as I never sold them:lostit:, and I searched my basement the other day and found a mini crib that I had...So that's good!! But I have to buy sheets for it and prep my diapers. I have an outfit or 2 so far. But aside from that I have nothing.. Apparently I have been way too lax.

My family and friends are throwing me a baby shower on 4/13, but I feel like there are things I should be doing and buying before.. But without a lot of spare cash, I have no idea where to start..
1.) I have to get some outstanding supplies for the birth ie receiving blankets, towels, thermometer, etc

2.) I have to get stuff for the babies first few days (God forbid the baby should come earlier than expected I at least need a few days worth of stuff)...

I can't even wrap my head around what I actually need..

Keeping our fingers crossed that this one makes it to 40 weeks, what kinds of things do you think I should definitely get first.

jennayoung99 03-28-2013 05:01 PM

Re: Panicking!! Help!! (Long)

i would pick up the things you need for the birth, then wait until after the shower to get the rest. then just get the essentials, car seat, more clothes, etc. hopefully you get most of it at the shower. don't stress mama, you got your diapers and boobs, you are set. lol

stephbrown13 03-28-2013 05:14 PM

For the baby: Definitely get a carseat, that's a must. A few socks, receiving blankets, and hats and outfits, and check garage sales or consignment stores, you should be able to get those for really cheap. I personally like to have at least one package of disposable diapers and wipes for those first few days, but it's not a must. Otherwise you'll be fine to wait until after your baby shower! If the baby will be sleeping with you, you won't need crib sheets yet.

For the birth: definitely chux pads, and check thrift stores for towels and receiving blankets. Chux pads were the only thing out of my birth kit we really needed for labor and postpartum. The midwife will have gloves and cord clamps and everything else.

I feel like the only thing babies really NEED are a carseat, diapers, and some clothes/blankets (and formula if you're not breastfeeding). The rest is for us:) Good luck!

Katie180 03-28-2013 05:19 PM

I would see what you can get at a thrift store. Newborns don't wear out clothes so get a couple of onesies a couple of sleepers and you should be set for the first little bit. You can also probably get some of the home birth stuff there too (towels etc)

~Cricket~ 03-28-2013 05:38 PM

Got any friends or family who might be able to loan you a few "emergency" baby supplies, just until you can get your own?
As others have said, you've got the real essentials - diapers and boobs, but a few onsies, sleepers, blankets, and a car seat will also be necessary. Check the classifieds and the consignment stores - you can often get good stuff quite cheaply!
Try not to panic or stress - maybe try to look at it as a fun challenge. Like, say, I've got $10 or $15 dollars to spend this week, and here's my list, how much can I get from the list for that money? And then do some bargain hunting. :) You'll be just fine.
By the way - there might even be some mamas here who can donate/loan some stuff. If I was near you, I'd definitely have a bit from my boxes to share.

Lyn1Lyn 03-28-2013 05:54 PM

As I think about it, you ladies are right... generally even in the hospital all the babies need the first few days are dipes, onsies, a blanket or two and mommies boobies or formula..
So I will be placing an add on freecycle.com and see if anyone can give me some receiving blankets, I'll try to get a few birth items from there also.. The only other thing that is a must is a carseat, just in case there is an emergency and we have to rush to the hospital, during or after the birth.... :thumbsup:

I'll start there...
STRESS LEVELS CURRENTLY DECREASING

~Cricket~ 03-28-2013 06:50 PM

Glad to hear it. Enjoy your preparations! I love getting the little things ready for the baby. One of my favorite things, for sure :)

themaelane 03-28-2013 09:10 PM

You might want to talk to whomever is doing your shower. Let her know your concerns and see if she can focus your gift-givers. People don't know what you need, and you don't need a singing doll or 10 bottles of crappy lotion.

Maybe some people can get together and get your car seat? We got our seat from family.

Best of luck. Just don't believe all those stupid lists telling you what u "need" , I'm sure you know its silly and just to get your money!

Lyn1Lyn 03-30-2013 12:25 AM

Aw crap, just pulled out my dipes and realized that I must have sold (or something) every newborn and smaller dipe that I owned!! BUMMER!! I don't remember exactly when I sold them, but they are definitely gone...

Themaelane I did do a registry at both walmart and target. I am keeping my fingers crossed that people actually use it.. I only registered for stuff I really need, (sheets, cloth diapers, cloth friendly creams and washes etc.... I definitely put the car seat, crib and stroller on there too in case my parents or mother in law wants to buy those, and I tried to be considerate of cost keeping things on the lower end in hopes that will help me get a few things that can help me once the baby comes..
I actually just received one of the items in the mail from someone who can't attend.. Its the Prince Lionhart cloth wipes warmer. Can't wait to make some cloth wipes to use in it..
I guess once I have a little cash I will start by buying some dipes and a carseat if necessary that will actually fit LO when the birth day comes.
Thanks for all the input ladies it really helps...

cowangel 04-01-2013 11:43 AM

HEHE! You sound like me...this is baby #5...we didn't know when or for sure if we would have a #5 and there was a lady in my area in need so I gave her ALL my baby stuff. I have been able to get a few things off of craigslist and sites like that - like a carseat and stroller (I know some people don't like to buy those used), I do still have the crib and bassinet but that's it. We are also having a 'surprise' - team green - so I can't really buy gender specific stuff so I have NOTHING for the baby to wear at this time (I'm 25 weeks)...absolutely NOTHING for size NB or anything. I have bought a few NB diapers on a facebook page, but that's about it...and I won't have a shower I'm sure - haven't for the last few pregnancies. So, count your blessings on that shower and enjoy it and enjoy being able to buy for the baby and do craigslist or thrift stores for sure!