Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Arthritis? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504758)

Sarawithouth 03-30-2013 11:24 PM

Arthritis?

Anyone here have arthritis during pregnancy? Not like gestational arthritis, just... Treatment for arthritis during pregnancy. I had an ankle issue 2 years ago and was left with what my orthopedic surgeon just diagnosed as post traumatic arthritis. He said he can't treat me during pregnancy, and to come back after I deliver. How are you being treated? TIA!

itiswhatitis1984 03-31-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarawithouth (Post 16452498)
Anyone here have arthritis during pregnancy? Not like gestational arthritis, just... Treatment for arthritis during pregnancy. I had an ankle issue 2 years ago and was left with what my orthopedic surgeon just diagnosed as post traumatic arthritis. He said he can't treat me during pregnancy, and to come back after I deliver. How are you being treated? TIA!

I have rheumatoid arthritis and there really aren't many options for treatment during pregnancy:( The only thing that was offered to me was a steroid shot. I never opted for that because mine is through my body. If I just had an issue at one or two spots I might of considered it. You can also take steroids orally. Unfortunately that isn't an option for me anymore but previously when I was able to take them they worked great.

I'm sorry that your dr isn't more supportive. I know I have limited options but my rheumatologist is always there for me and that is such a good feeling knowing you aren't having to battle something alone.

Are you seeing a rheumatologist or a family dr. If it's a family dr you might have better luck with a rheumatologist. I hope you are able to get relief. Having to suck it up can really get exhausting. Have you tried wearing a wrap or brace(like you would get at Wal-Mart) on it? That might help at least a little.

chillimom 03-31-2013 09:07 PM

Re: Arthritis?

I have rheumatoid arthritis which has been actively flaring through this pregnancy. I muddled through the first trimester with Tylenol, but by midway through the pregnancy the pain and immobility were so bad I was being given Tylenol with codeine, and even morphine. Finally got into my rheumatologist, who has me on prednisone and sulfasalazine. The combo is keeping my symptoms manageable, and they are considered safe for pregnancy. I do get ultrasounds every two weeks to monitor baby's growth, fluid levels, and placenta health, but all is good so far (just shy of 38weeks now).

nettepoet 04-01-2013 06:54 AM

Re: Arthritis?

i would look into if fish oil can help relieve your symptoms. omega 3's have anti-inflammatory properties and are already great for you during pregnancy. my aunt had success (she wasn't pregnant but did have RA) using it when her meds were damaging her kidneys/liver after years of use and she decided to go off of them. she now does a combo of fish oil and acupuncture for relief.