Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   easy, hands free packed lunch ideas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505777)

blackberry75 04-03-2013 10:35 PM

easy, hands free packed lunch ideas

The hubs new job leaves him stuck in a semitruck for hours on end and also dirtier than all get out. Seriously, I have to wash his cloths 2, sometimes 3 times to get them clean.

Anyway, he wants foods he can eat that are wrapped or that he can just use the sandwich baggie to hold. I've make him sandwiches, and I've baked cookies and muffins that he can grab out of the freezer. Furits and veggies are harder because they all get/are moist and slip around in the baggies. We tried bananas, but he's usually driving while trying to eat his luch (he doesn't get an offical lunch break) and he has a hard time peeling them on the go.

Do you ladies have ideas on health snacks or "entree" ideas? I don't mind baking or batch cooking, stuff I can make on a weekend and pull out of the freezer during the month would actually make my life easier. Surprisingly, working, taking care of the house and child rearing leaves me short on time:giggle2:

Hungry Caterpillar 04-04-2013 08:50 AM

Re: easy, hands free packed lunch ideas

Breakfast burritos? He could hold it with the foil partially unwrapped.

blackberry75 04-04-2013 05:14 PM

Are breakfast burritos good cold, 'cause he won't be able to heat them up at all and I don't have a way to keep them warm in his lunch box.

Hungry Caterpillar 04-04-2013 05:20 PM

I've eaten them room temp. I'd assume that if you made them the night before they would be room temp by the time he ate it. Maybe not do anything that would spoil, though, more like a lunch burrito. Beans, potatoes, cheese, not sure about eggs.

Isn't it illegal for him to not have a lunch break?

beyoung 04-05-2013 07:54 AM

Have you tried wraps for some of the slippery items? Maybe cucumber spears in a wrap spread with cream cheese or a banana in a wrap spread with peanut butter? Would cheese cut into sticks work or peeled hardboiled eggs (maybe too slippery??).

blackberry75 04-05-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar (Post 16467072)
Isn't it illegal for him to not have a lunch break?

Nope, truckers have a whole different set of rules than hourly/salaried workers

Quote:

Originally Posted by beyoung (Post 16468392)
Have you tried wraps for some of the slippery items? Maybe cucumber spears in a wrap spread with cream cheese or a banana in a wrap spread with peanut butter? Would cheese cut into sticks work or peeled hardboiled eggs (maybe too slippery??).

Have not tried wraps, but that's a great idea! As is the eggless burrito idea by Hungry Caterpillar.

Nandis 04-05-2013 10:03 PM

I was gonna suggest wraps and gloves too. Like latex exam gloves. I just keep envisioning those baggies getting unruly. Kebabs and skewered things like satay or corn dogs might work too. The other thing I thought of was hand pies like Cornish pasty, bierrocks, samosas, empanadas, pizza pockets, musubi, and the like. It's pretty easy to make a batch ahead of time and they're good at room temp. I think truck drivers have one of the hardest jobs. Especially OTR truckers. It sounds easy- just sit and drive, but it's so much more difficult than it appears.

PurpleFluff 04-06-2013 03:12 PM

What about a homemade snack mix or trail mix in a cup, so he can "drink" bites of it? I used to eat dry cereal this way on my commute to work.

Mack 04-07-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleFluff (Post 16472280)
What about a homemade snack mix or trail mix in a cup, so he can "drink" bites of it? I used to eat dry cereal this way on my commute to work.

This! Thermos makes a bottle with an opening the size of a quarter. It can pop open with one hand and seals nicely.

blackberry75 04-08-2013 09:56 AM

HAHAHAHA! I just tried to Like a whole bunch of y'alls responces. I spend to much time on FB. LOL.