Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Foods/vitamins to boost milk production? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506267)

SuperMommy0713 04-05-2013 07:53 PM

Foods/vitamins to boost milk production?

Hey everyone!

So I'm not actually breastfeeding at the moment, I'm pregnant with #2, but I would like to know if there are any milk boosting super foods/vitamins out there or any other tips for upping milk supply.

With my 1st I only got to breastfeed for the first 3 months because my milk supply was pretty low and I didn't have any real support at the time. We went with formula because it was easy for the situation we were in and I've regretted it ever since. Breastfeeding, or providing breast milk in general, is something that I've always wanted to provide for my kids and I'm going to be tying a lot harder this time.

Since I've got plenty of time I thought I'd ask for any advice or tips now, no time better than the present! Thanks & I look forward to reading! :)

lauraz76 04-05-2013 08:19 PM

Re: Foods/vitamins to boost milk production?

I read that oatmeal may help supply. Google oatmeal lactation cookie and you'll get recipes that include oatmeal, brewers yeast and something else to possibly help supply. There is also an excellent supplement called More Milk Plus by a company called Motherlove.

But in the early weeks the best thing is to feed them a lot. At least every 2-3 hours. Those first few weeks kind of 'set up' your supply for the future. I got an excellent book just a few months ago when I thought my supply was low with my newborn DS - Making More Milk. I love this book ! They begin by explaining how you make milk, how to establish your supply, how to tell if you supply is low and why, how to fix it, and how to keep nursing even if you need to supplement.

You can do it!!!!!

hippiechick77 04-05-2013 08:27 PM

I think oatmeal is supposed to be milk boosting food, not sure what quantity you would have to consume. Fenugreek and blessed thistle are herbs that are commonly used to increase milk production. I had partial success using those, then had to end up using the medication domperidone in order to continue nursing with both of my sons but I don't regret it for a second. Dr Jack Newman's website was very helpful and he even responded to several emails I sent. Good luck mama!

jhallod 04-05-2013 08:40 PM

Drink lots of water, eat oatmeal or oatmeal cookies and nurse frequently! You can't nurse too much but you can nurse too little. Start at every 2 hours and let your little one build up your supply naturally. Most importantly, as long as baby is growing and wetting diapers, you are fine. Most people make more milk than they think.

agl 04-10-2013 12:18 PM

A friend of mine used fenugreek to increase her milk supply. Probably could find it at a health food store.

grammalovescloth 04-10-2013 12:27 PM

Mother's milk tea is supposed to help.