Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thrush natural remedies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506279)

Sarah-B 04-05-2013 08:52 PM

Thrush natural remedies?

Does anyone have any natural remedies for thrush? Dd has a small case if it & now my nipples seem to be hurting.

Please let me know what natural remedies worked for you and your baby.
Thanks!

shureeg 04-05-2013 09:34 PM

Re: Thrush natural remedies?

Ive had great success with gentian violet. I battle thrush a lot. Ive tried gse with little luck. I take garlic and probiotics. That seems to help. And I have a standing diflucan script. But gentian violet is my go to for fast relief. I will be stalking to see what others say.

shureeg 04-05-2013 09:35 PM

I know sunshine will kill it in bras and stuff.

Sarah-B 04-05-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shureeg
Ive had great success with gentian violet. I battle thrush a lot. Ive tried gse with little luck. I take garlic and probiotics. That seems to help. And I have a standing diflucan script. But gentian violet is my go to for fast relief. I will be stalking to see what others say.

I never thought it was in my bra I guess I will wash them all again & sun them tomorrow. Thanks! Also I have read that gentian violet works but can I give that to a baby?

Laylas_Mom 04-05-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah-B

I never thought it was in my bra I guess I will wash them all again & sun them tomorrow. Thanks! Also I have read that gentian violet works but can I give that to a baby?

Yep, apply it liberally to your nipples with a cotton ball and let baby latch. It will cover her mouth in purple so make sure to rub some Vaseline around her mouth so as not to color her whole face purple :giggle:

doulamomma 04-05-2013 11:38 PM

Gv stains like crazy!! So be careful. Ive used it and it worked. There is some controversy bc it is harmful in large doses and the solution its alcohol based. I prefer grape fruit seed oil. It worked well for me, and its a ton easier. You just have to keep applying for a while after the thrush is gone

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum

OrchidMama 04-08-2013 06:26 PM

Gentian Violet works really well. Grapefruit seed extract works well, but you have to reapply very often, like once an hour. Unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil is a good addition to whatever else you're using, GV isn't a natural remedy per se. It's a coal tar product. Compresses of Castor oil are good. Apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good too. Make sure to treat for at least a week, preferably two after it's gone.

http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

tracyleigh00 04-11-2013 10:11 PM

I've run through them all trying to get rid this crazy stuff. GV definitely gave me the most instant relief. Especially if you are having deep breast pain (I did!). I have diflucan too. Not sure it is helping much or just a good back up. I second the washing of the bras, pads, anything that you are constantly wearing. Don't forget to wash the stuff DD puts in her mouth (pacifer, etc). I don't have any but I have read that the All-purpose Nipple ointment is great for instant relief and curing of thrush.
The severe pain is gone for me but I am still getting the nipple pain after nursing.
Hang in there. I will be watching this thread too to see if anyone else has a good idea.

krismark0 04-15-2013 09:03 PM

I use MotherLove diaper Rash and Thrush. Love it and I just use it for butts and nipples all the time when anything is needed. I even use it on chapped lips. Me and baby have never gotten it again since I started using it.

Sarah-B 04-16-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krismark0
I use MotherLove diaper Rash and Thrush. Love it and I just use it for butts and nipples all the time when anything is needed. I even use it on chapped lips. Me and baby have never gotten it again since I started using it.

Cool thank you!!