Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trouble gaining weight (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506946)

MommaM0510 04-08-2013 01:50 PM

Trouble gaining weight

This is my 3rd baby, but first time successfully nursing so far. With my first two, we never even made it home from the hospital nursing b/c of medical issues. Ellie was born at 9lbs 10oz, but today at her 2wk visit she was 8lb 12oz when we first weighed her. They had me nurse her & reweigh, then she was 9 even. Dr wants me to feed her 1oz formula with a syringe after each feeding until she goes back for weight check Thursday. She seems to be growing well otherwise. Any suggestions on anything else I can do in addition to the formula? Just kind of hurt to realize she's not gaining like she should be :(

evasimone 04-08-2013 03:15 PM

Re: Trouble gaining weight

She's within the normal 10% loss but she should be pretty close to regaining her birth weight if not already be there now. The problem with supplementing with formula is that every supplement given affects your supply because that's milk not being removed from your breast and it can start a vicious cycle of low supply. The better solution is to pump after every feeding and supplement her with your own milk. It's a pain in the butt but should only be temporary.

The better solution is to figure out what is causing your DD to not gain. Supplementing her only treats the symptom but not the cause.

What is your nursing like? Do you offer both breasts? How long? How often? Does she come off or do you remove her? Does she seem satisfied after nursing? Are you having any difficulties with latch or pain? Have you been supplementing her without pumping?

I understand how frustrating it is. :hugs: I went through something similar.

tibeca 04-08-2013 08:32 PM

You may want to seek out an Lactation Consultant, LLL Leader or other breastfeeding support person. Your baby should have regained their birth weight by now. There are likely other factors at play here that your doctor hasn't looked in to (and likely won't).

menthomas 04-08-2013 08:47 PM

She took in 4 ounces when she nursed which is awesome!! I would just up feelings. Get lo to nurse every hour and half to 2 hours instead of waiting for her to cry (if that's what you're doing now). Just offer breast breast breast and see what happens at her weight check. And def check with a lactation consultant before supplementing. Maybe call your ob office/clinic to see if they have one on staff. My hospital has one and they were available and happy to help just over the phone with my questions.

tracyleigh00 04-11-2013 10:18 PM

Pediatricians like to fall back to giving the bottle so they know how many ounces the baby is actually getting instead of supporting breastfeeding and offering helpful solutions for the longterm for your LO. My DD's doctor has done the same to me because she is tiny and slow to gain weight. Please call a lactation consultant. The other ladies advice you have already received is great. Just hang in there.

MommaM0510 04-12-2013 12:06 PM

Thanks for your replies! Yesterday at her weight check, she's up to 9lbs 4oz. I tried formula once by syringe like ped suggested. She spit almost all of it up. We've been feeding every 1.5-2 hours. I've been pumping to get the extra oz to feed her after she unlatches. Hopefully things will keep going well! She has another weight check on Tuesday.

Sarah-B 04-12-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaM0510
Thanks for your replies! Yesterday at her weight check, she's up to 9lbs 4oz. I tried formula once by syringe like ped suggested. She spit almost all of it up. We've been feeding every 1.5-2 hours. I've been pumping to get the extra oz to feed her after she unlatches. Hopefully things will keep going well! She has another weight check on Tuesday.

Great news!!!

MommaM0510 04-18-2013 04:09 PM

So Monday she had to go for a sick visit. She still weighed 9lbs 4oz. Her weight check was this morning, & still...9lbs4oz. Her ped is pushing switching to formula hard now. I called the lactation consultant, & she didn't understand why he's pushing formula so fast before trying other options. Going to see her in the morning, so hopefully we'll know some more then!

MommaM0510 04-19-2013 08:54 PM

Now we've been admitted to the children's hospital. This morning she had a coughing fit then turned blue while we were seeing the lactation consultant. They're thinking it may be pertussis, & also found she has a heart murmur. The lactation consultant agreed that she truly doesn't seem to need supplementing with formula & certainly not fully switching. She took in 3oz during her feed this am.

Kätzchen 04-19-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaM0510
Now we've been admitted to the children's hospital. This morning she had a coughing fit then turned blue while we were seeing the lactation consultant. They're thinking it may be pertussis, & also found she has a heart murmur. The lactation consultant agreed that she truly doesn't seem to need supplementing with formula & certainly not fully switching. She took in 3oz during her feed this am.

Oh no! I am so sorry Mama.