Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   S/O boys will be boys (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508173)

elizabeth.scalf 04-12-2013 03:19 PM

S/O boys will be boys

Let me preface this by saying I have 3 girls so I'm clueless.

Is there a time and a place for boys to be boys? (ie in the backyard with dad and other boys who won't care if they get hurt and muddy). Is that attitude archaic? Is this role only reserved for boys or can girls be rough-ish too? Is this outlet of energy necessary for boys to be behaved the rest of the time?

Thoughts?

sisu 04-12-2013 03:48 PM

Re: S/O boys will be boys

I wish the "boys will be boys" mentality would just die already.

All kids need an outlet for their energy and curiosity. All kids should be encouraged to get dirty, to explore their surroundings, to discover the wonders of the world. :)

For what it's worth, my daughter is much more physical, more of a daredevil, and so much naughtier than my son has ever thought of being.

MDever 04-12-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sisu (Post 16491784)
I wish the "boys will be boys" mentality would just die already.

All kids need an outlet for their energy and curiosity. All kids should be encouraged to get dirty, to explore their surroundings, to discover the wonders of the world. :)

For what it's worth, my daughter is much more physical, more of a daredevil, and so much naughtier than my son has ever thought of being.

:werd:

thtr4me 04-12-2013 04:45 PM

My youngest niece had more need for rough and dirty play than most boys I have known. She was always outside, always busy, and always dirty (well, so was her brother). Absolute dirt magnets, no matter how frequently my sister washed them.

I don't think that "boys will be boys" is necessary, more of a "kids will be kids" attitude. Some kids are rough and like to get dirty, others don't. Kids should be allowed to explore the world in whatever method serves them best (with full admission that sensory avoiders should be fully encouraged to let go and get dirty once in a while too).

2much2luv 04-12-2013 04:49 PM

What they said. :)

ktmelody 04-12-2013 04:50 PM

I hate the saying boys will be boys.

As if boys get a free pass to be violent, gross and dirty.

I have a son. He doesnt push people around, isnt mean and can keep his hands out of his pants and use a bathroom properly.

Just because he is a boy doesnt mean he has to do those things.

As far as kids getting dirty and messy well my girls can get pretty dirty! I have never heard the term used for boys being messy though. Its usually in conjunction with touching their penises and pushing other kids around.

hilaryisinked 04-12-2013 05:21 PM

I hate that saying as well. I don't have boys but I don't care if our girls are outside rolling in the mud. There's a bath for that ;). I'd rather the saying be kids will be kids.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

omgoodgravy 04-12-2013 05:31 PM

I have 3 kids. 2 girls one boy. All of them love to get dirty play outside run a muck and all of that stuff. My son is more inventive and likes to create things. For instance I had to keep an eye on him for a few weeks because he took a milk crate and a long jump rope and created a trap and was trying to trap the dogs and cat. My ODD rides a four wheeler has what I call muckin boots and traipses around in the woods for hours with the neighbors DD they are 11. My youngest DD at 2 just likes dirt.
It doesn't bother me because all of my kids do the play outside thing and get dirty rinse you off with the hose stuff right before church and we are late. (Isn't that how it always happens?) I look at it more like the thinking is different. Boys do things differently than girls. Do they all get dirty? Sure do but my son's way is definitely creative.
DS is also named after my DH and my father 2 of the biggest trouble makers I know so I may have cursed myself there...LOL!

cbreeding 04-12-2013 05:42 PM

Most that use this phrase (that I know in real life), refer to the roughhousing (as in rough physical contact) between boys similar in age but that they themselves (the parent) choose not to police/interfere/correct because "boys will be boys." If two little girls were to act the same way, the parents would be right on top of things, correcting and disciplining.

Even though I have a boy, not a fan of the phrase. I think it's looking the otherway at undesirable behavior just because they are boys.

bluedaisyma 04-12-2013 05:54 PM

I have six boys and I think, based on the fact that they have more testosterone than females, they have a tendency to play rougher, have more aggression, etc. Now, I am not saying this is true AT ALL for ALL boys and that no girls are like this :). However, it is not an excuse, to me, for boys to be disrespectful or nasty.