Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508417)

alyxmegan 04-13-2013 03:54 PM

Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

I refused the gd test and the hospital midwife told me to take my blood sugar 4 times a day for a week to check my sugar levels. They were all fine except once was a bit high (I had a lot of carbs and ice cream for dinner though!)
When I went in she told me while my sugars were good, if I don't take the 3 hr test he is going to diagnos me with gd. And said "by the way, that will make you unable to have the water birth you mentioned" in a very snaky tone. I feel like she is threatening me. I told her I need to think about my options and will get back to her. She is the most "natural birth friendly" option in my area. I don't know hat to do!

jaelynsmommy61607 04-13-2013 03:58 PM

It sounds like she's trying to warn you about the ob.

ashley84 04-13-2013 04:09 PM

Re: Diagnosed gd as a scare tactic??

Why not just take the GD test?

alyxmegan 04-13-2013 04:09 PM

I don't know... When I first told her I didn't feel like the 3 hour test was safe she seemed wry frustrated. The town I am in is not very friendly towards alternative life styles or natural pregnancy and birthing. It been a battle over every little thing. I don't feel safe taking the 3 hour test but I am pretty sure I don't have gestational diabetes. I have tested randomly and have been in the norm every time. I am thinking about going to a neighboring city (an hour drive) to see If they have more accepting doctors and midwifes.

alyxmegan 04-13-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashley84
Why not just take the GD test?

I took the one hour and it made me really sick. I did some research and the syrup drink they use is really unhealthy. I know its just one more time, but its not safe IMO.

songbird516 04-13-2013 04:11 PM

I refused both times. If there are no other warning signs I think that you are within your rights to refuse. I do think it sounds like she's threatening you. Sorry :(

alyxmegan 04-13-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516
I refused both times. If there are no other warning signs I think that you are within your rights to refuse. I do think it sounds like she's threatening you. Sorry :(

:/ I don't know what to do... There is only one center that provides maternity care here and she is the best option. I could go out of town but I can't afford the gas money to go. I hope she will listen to my reasoning and not ruin my birthing plans to try to scare me into doing things her way

Tris 04-13-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyxmegan (Post 16494574)
I took the one hour and it made me really sick. I did some research and the syrup drink they use is really unhealthy. I know its just one more time, but its not safe IMO.

If it made you sick isn't that a sign of GD? There isn't really anything unsafe about sugar, but there is a lot unsafe about gd if not diagnosed.

solobluedancer 04-13-2013 04:33 PM

Isn't it a red flag that you had a carbo loaded dinner and your body was unable to process the sugar (making your blood sugar high)? If you got sick of the first one hour test isn't that a red flag as well?

I know tests can be scary, and sometimes tests are not ideal, but GD is a big deal to your baby and its future health.

I'm sorry your OB seemed to threaten you but it sounds like you might have some issues that your ignoring. And if you ignore them they are going to treat you as high risk.

I hope you get a solution to this problem.

FindingMercy 04-13-2013 04:37 PM

Could you just agree to continue to monitor it? And since there seems to be some level of concern, agree to eat a more GD friendly diet as well?