Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Excersize and diet while BF (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508851)

Buena 04-15-2013 02:47 PM

Excersize and diet while BF

I am 2 weeks post partum and nursing my newborn all day and my 25 month old 3-4 times in 24 hrs. Not sure how many calories they would say that is burning. I eat healthy but would like to begin to exercise and loose the last 10 Pds I have from birth. Any way to so this safely and effectively

keonli 04-16-2013 07:14 AM

Re: Excersize and diet while BF

I am currently exercising and dieting while BFing. My diet consists of lots of protein, veggies, fruits, and minimal processed carbs. I make sure to eat enough calories, and on days when I cannot seem to meet that, I drink a juice smoothie (made from fruits and veggies with no added sugars). I exercise almost daily with runs and circuit training.

So a typical day is:

-Breakfast: egg whites or a Naked Green Machine smoothie
-Lunch: salad with skinless chicken breast and egg whites
-snack: almonds/pistachios, smoothie
-Dinner: fish with veggies
-snack: apple or air popped popcorn
Water intake: at least half my weight or more in oz.

Exercise: 3 mile run or half an hour circuit training at home

Just don't let yourself get too hungry and take your vitamins as well. And keep hydrated with water.

ETA: I also wanted to add that while bfing, you also experience a ravenous appetite at times. You can give into it, but choose healthy options. :)

keonli 04-16-2013 07:15 AM

DP

Van1300 04-16-2013 07:34 AM

I'm 5 months post partum and EBF. and I've lost 25 lbs. I still have 25 lbs. to go. I eat healthy but don't limit portions and I am active 30 min a day. I also do not take hormonal birth control which has been the biggest help this time around ( never lost weight last post part um)

B - oatmeal with fruit or yogurt and fruit
S - granola bar and cheese
L - Turkey sandwich, fruit, cottage cheese
S - dried fruit and nuts
D - Meat, veggie, starch plus dark choc for dessert.

I drink at least 100 oz a day (have always drank tons of water, even more now)

For exercise, I am doing couch to 5k runs (20 min three times a week) and high intensity interval circuit training ( about 12 min a day). This summer I plan to swim on the days I don't run.

Yarnjess 04-16-2013 07:45 AM

At 2 weeks post partum you should still be taking it easy and eating to appetite. Don't restrict calories. Your body needs those calories to heal and to produce milk for your children. Calories are your friend. Do not restrict them. Calorie restriction lowers your metabolism over time, which leads to regaining any weight loss achieved through calorie restriction and possibly more.

As far as exercise, start slowly as you feel up to it. Take your kids for a walk around the neighborhood. Don't overdo it, though. Maybe you take a 10 minute walk once or twice a week for now. That's okay. Maybe in a few weeks you feel good enough to walk more often. Maybe you take a walk and you start bleeding more heavily. That's your body telling you to slow down.

If you maintain or increase your metabolism you are more likely to lose the last 10 lbs for good. It may take longer, though. I have not dieted and it took around 7 months for me to get back into all my non-maternity clothes (fitting into the jeans that are a bit tighter in the waist), and that was without any restriction at all. I take walks when I want to be outside and move my body. Exercise should be enjoyable, not punishment. Food should be that way as well. If you want more info on metabolism and how to increase or maintain it, check out 180degreehealth.com or the ebooks Diet Recovery 2 or Eat for Heat.

saturn 04-16-2013 09:58 PM

I agree that 2 weeks is too soon to be restricting calories. You are still healing and building up a milk supply right now, there will be plenty of time to lose the weight later. I continued to lose weight for several months postpartum, even without calorie restriction. As for exercise, start slow and watch for increased bleeding. Walking is an excellent postpartum exercise, you can wear the baby in a carrier or take a stroller.

After the first few months, I think most people can successfully breastfeed while trying to lose weight as long as they don't do anything drastic.

saturn 04-16-2013 09:58 PM

DP

VeganCupcake 04-16-2013 10:10 PM

In the early months of tandem nursing my two, I lost weight without paying attention to calories. I was doing spin once a week and walking on the treadmill a few times a week--after I had recovered from the birth. But I did that because I like to exercise and it makes me feel good.

When DS was 5 or 6 months old, I noticed that my weight loss kind of stalled, so I joined Weight Watchers and started being a little more conscious of what I ate. WW allows generous number of extra points for nursing mothers. I gradually have lost the rest of the weight over the last year and a half. (I put on weight between my babies, so I had that to take off, too.)

I have never had a supply problem at all. I also pump to donate. I dunno if I'm special or what. :)

Buena 04-17-2013 06:09 AM

i feel like i never gave birth at all. no joke, i run around with the kids, jump on the trampoline ect. I am an active person and miss jogging and all that. I dont wanna restric calories, i guess i just need to make the right choices. :)

keonli 04-17-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena (Post 16504424)
i feel like i never gave birth at all. no joke, i run around with the kids, jump on the trampoline ect. I am an active person and miss jogging and all that. I dont wanna restric calories, i guess i just need to make the right choices. :)

Eating healthier is great, losing weight or not. But do be careful about being too active right after giving birth. I had my DD 4 months ago but after running several miles the other week, I am feeling some pain in my lower abdomen. I think I overdid it.