Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Help? Advice? Choosing b/w 12 & 15 passenger vans. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509118)

MakingHome 04-16-2013 01:31 PM

Help? Advice? Choosing b/w 12 & 15 passenger vans.

Weigh in- please share advantages & disadvantages between the two. Do you have one and wish you had the other?

Please share pros and cons and anything else you think I should know as we look at 12 and 15 passenger vans.

Also- for those who own them- if you're willing please she about the reliability and maintenance issues on yours, and whether you have a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. Thanks!!

MakingHome 04-16-2013 01:41 PM

Re: Help? Advice? Choosing b/w 12 & 15 passenger vans.

P.S. much as I wish we could get one, we can't afford a Dodge Sprinter or Nissan NV, so lets not even go there, LOL.

7 for now 04-16-2013 03:03 PM

We have a 12 passenger GMC Savanna. We bought it new in 2007, it is a 2008 model. It has about 120,000 miles on it. Only has needed routine maintenance. If you have a garage measure it! A 15 passenger would not have fit into our garage. I love it! The kids love it. We were so crowded with 6 kids in our Suburban.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

7arrows4God 04-16-2013 03:14 PM

If you do not need to get a 15 passenger yet, then don't. It is on a 1 ton base and yes, for length, you need to make sure your garage it long enough, plus it is actually taller than the 12 passenger as well.

The 12 passenger is on a 3/4 ton base.

Now actually the 12 passenger is wonderful, in that there is actually storage space behind the last bench, we always buy bulk and when we had our 12 passenger, we could easily fit big boxes of 40lb apples behind it and stack high. We almost always had boxes of footd so you can stack. Individual bag would be harder.

But with our now 15 passenger there is no no extra storage and so we have to take out a seat. Which means some children can not come.

Now we like Chevy or GMC. There is more space between the front bench and the drivers and passengers seat, which is good then you have a infant seat in the middle the other children and still squeeze to get into the seat behind the driver seat. Or even having a toddler seat rear facing behind the drivers. Really hard to face a toddler seat backwards in a ford.

Actually I warned a friend about this when the went from a 8 passenger to a 12, but she did not believe me and plus they got a good deal on a ford, it was not long and they traded it in and went back to a chevy or GMC>

To me the CHEvy or GMC seems more sturdy build on the interior, where the ford seemed cheaper in this respect, you could here it when you opened and closed the doors.

Now of course in the end, if the Ford is what you can afford then go for it.

ktmelody 04-16-2013 03:23 PM

We have a 15 passenger Chevy. It's older (2001) with 120k miles. Works great, no issues. I don't like the 12 because it limits the number of friends we can bring. ;). With teenagers is important to have more room since they are always dragging other kids along.

It does not fit in our garage, but we don't park in the garage anyways. If we need more trunk space we can take out the last row
Hasn't been an issue yet.

In the end you either want more seats, or more trunk space...and if size matters then the 12 might be best.

marliah 04-16-2013 04:08 PM

No advice yet, but we just bought a 1995 15 passenger ford with 260k miles and it still drives/rides real nice :) so they can last quite a long time if they are cared for. We are the second owner on ours.

dressagemom 04-16-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7arrows4God (Post 16503075)
If you do not need to get a 15 passenger yet, then don't. It is on a 1 ton base and yes, for length, you need to make sure your garage it long enough, plus it is actually taller than the 12 passenger as well.

The 12 passenger is on a 3/4 ton base.

Now actually the 12 passenger is wonderful, in that there is actually storage space behind the last bench, we always buy bulk and when we had our 12 passenger, we could easily fit big boxes of 40lb apples behind it and stack high. We almost always had boxes of footd so you can stack. Individual bag would be harder.

But with our now 15 passenger there is no no extra storage and so we have to take out a seat. Which means some children can not come.

Now we like Chevy or GMC. There is more space between the front bench and the drivers and passengers seat, which is good then you have a infant seat in the middle the other children and still squeeze to get into the seat behind the driver seat. Or even having a toddler seat rear facing behind the drivers. Really hard to face a toddler seat backwards in a ford.

Actually I warned a friend about this when the went from a 8 passenger to a 12, but she did not believe me and plus they got a good deal on a ford, it was not long and they traded it in and went back to a chevy or GMC>

To me the CHEvy or GMC seems more sturdy build on the interior, where the ford seemed cheaper in this respect, you could here it when you opened and closed the doors.

Now of course in the end, if the Ford is what you can afford then go for it.

I agree with so much of this! We have a 12 passenger extended van. It is a Chevy something... (if I wasn't pregnant, I could probably tell you everything, haha, but a large share of my brain seems to have gone on vacation lately.). We have had it nearly 3 years, no maintenance issues, just normal upkeep. It does have a particular affinity for the corner gas station, so we tend to only drive it when all of us need to go somewhere. We also looked at Ford vans, and felt the same way about the interior. Ford vans didn't seem as sturdy or nice, plus, they didn't have the same safety features that the Chevy/GMC vans have. For us, 12 is enough; we have 7 soon to be 8 people in our family. There is plenty of room for all of us and anything we might like to take along.

7arrows4God 04-16-2013 10:34 PM

Oh yes the she mentioned the saftey features, the chevy or Gmc has the extended wheel base, which means the back wheels are further towards the back of the frame, therefore, less vehicle hanging free over the back end, therefore, suppose to be better for control and less rolling. And yes, if you get a gas van you want to get a certain year and up as then they put the better fuel engines in it. Our 12 passenger was a diesel, which are hard to find, it was so nice. Great on fuel, actually it was better than most of our friends new trucks, they could not believe it.

MyGlorylife 04-17-2013 08:41 AM

So @7 kids I bought a ford f250 15 pass van and took the fourth row out. I loved this- lots of extra room and if I wanted to go out with friends with kids I could put the seat back in and take one vehical.
@10 kids I am dying to get a 15 pass extended. Truth be told I love my big van :) although we would like to get a diesel because they are better on gas.
When I bought my van it had 80k on it and it now has 130k. I have still not done anything beyond new tires and oil changes. I love my "hot mama 10" she's a great van!
I'd also like to add I did not like the Chevy van. The can was obviously built for a guy. I'm 5'4 and with adjustments to the seat I still couldn't see very well or reach things very well

And! The 12 pass extended (so u have trunk space) is the same as a 15 pass. So it made sense to go with the 15 pass and take the seat out :)

MakingHome 04-17-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyGlorylife (Post 16504851)

And! The 12 pass extended (so u have trunk space) is the same as a 15 pass. So it made sense to go with the 15 pass and take the seat out :)

Ah this is important and I didn't know it. Thanks for explaining that.