Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Reflux flare ups? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509187)

Sarahknavy 04-16-2013 05:49 PM

Do they exist?

My daughter has been much much better since she is on meds. We are working with a chiro( she is out of town for a few weeks) and doing all the other "reflux precautions" we know of but she still has bad days. I am off dairy/soy/gluten.

Today she is projectile vomiting more, sounds congested a little, sneezing,coughing,and crying a lot more and not sleeping well.

Is it just a bad day or is it something else. What causes reflux to be worse some days than others?

Art mama 04-16-2013 05:57 PM

How old is she? How much weight has she gained? My dd kept out growing her dose every few weeks.

Sarahknavy 04-16-2013 06:05 PM

She is 8 weeks and has only been on prevacid for 10 days. It's not every day or I would suspect that... It's just every few days or so. Think that could be the cause? She MIGHT have gained a lb?

I think prevacid is supposed to be a standard dose unlike zantac that has to be adjusted frequently.

luvsviola 04-16-2013 07:10 PM

Re: Reflux flare ups?
 
It should all be done by weight. As kids grow, the dose is adjusted. But a 10 day old dose should still be fine.

Good luck mama--Prevacid just cuts the acid...it doesn't stop the physical reflux of fluids. The esophagus closes naturally as kids get older. 90% have it close by 10 months, and 95% by a year. Sadly, my son is in the other 5%...

The congestion comes from the vomitting. It makes a cycle...vomit, congestion, extra mucous in the stomach and coughing=vomit more=extra mucous...blah blah blah. Hope it gets better soon.

Sarahknavy 04-16-2013 07:27 PM

So you think there are just "bad days." That's what I'm wondering.

Stamina 04-16-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahknavy
So you think there are just "bad days." That's what I'm wondering.

Yes, I'd say there may be bad days occasionally when you're dealing with reflux. For us, it was sometimes due to a food sensitivity that went unnoticed. However, I do think that you will see fewer bad days after she's been on the Prevacid a while longer.

I'm sure you probably know this, but the timing of Prevacid dosing is extremely important. It has to be given on an empty stomach (at least two hours after a feeding) and 30 minutes before a feeding. I've found that if I don't time it perfectly, we are more likely to have a rough day.

Hope she starts doing better soon! :)

Sarahknavy 04-16-2013 07:58 PM

Maybe that could be it. I usually try for empty stomach and wait 30 min but last night/ this morning was tough and may not have given it that much time like I usually do

keen1981 04-16-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamina

Yes, I'd say there may be bad days occasionally when you're dealing with reflux. For us, it was sometimes due to a food sensitivity that went unnoticed. However, I do think that you will see fewer bad days after she's been on the Prevacid a while longer.

I'm sure you probably know this, but the timing of Prevacid dosing is extremely important. It has to be given on an empty stomach (at least two hours after a feeding) and 30 minutes before a feeding. I've found that if I don't time it perfectly, we are more likely to have a rough day.

Hope she starts doing better soon! :)

Wow. None of my breastfed babies have gone 2.5 hours between feedings! They'd be a screaming mess the entire time!

Stamina 04-16-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981

Wow. None of my breastfed babies have gone 2.5 hours between feedings! They'd be a screaming mess the entire time!

It's really hard to do. It doesn't always go as planned, but I do my best! Thankfully, when DD was put on Prevacid she was eating about every 2 hours and 15 minutes so we were pretty close. I still have to give her a bath sometimes to distract her for the extra time because she loves bath time.

Sarahknavy 04-16-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981

Wow. None of my breastfed babies have gone 2.5 hours between feedings! They'd be a screaming mess the entire time!

Yep... It's mostly hard for me because usually she starts off screaming... I try for an hour to get her to bed... By the time she dozes off its time for meds. Since I never know how long she is going to sleep for, I don't know if I should give them before she goes to sleep and make her upset for another hour... Or wait and see if she wakes up again within a reasonable time. Metal conflict.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors