Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   So much puke/spit up! Help!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509263)

jessicanashville 04-17-2013 07:20 AM

So much puke/spit up! Help!!
 
My newbie spits up a lot like ounces immediately after each feeding... So far I haven't even closed my bra back up! He has to be burped several times after that and will spit up more. Then he gets the hiccups and will lose more.... After all that he just wants to nurse and it's a vicious cycle... I took him to the chiro and got him adjusted and at first I thought it was oversupply/forceful letdown issue but we are 3 weeks out! I think he is over- eating. How to I help with this? I can't get him to take a pacifier at all... About to lose my mind...

Btw: he is gaining although despite the amount of puking he has put on over a pound each week we have been home.

keonli 04-17-2013 07:26 AM

Re: So much puke/spit up! Help!!
 
My sister's DD is the same way. She doesn't have reflux, she just overeats. She gained 4 lbs in a month! Since there isn't a real medical issue, we just always have burp clothes and lots of new clothes nearby.

MakingHome 04-17-2013 07:26 AM

Re: So much puke/spit up! Help!!
 
My second little guy was like this. I basically did a test to see how long he needed to eat where he got enough but not too much. IIRC, he could make it 7-8 minutes on the first side and up to 10 on the second and not do much/any spitting up (his was actually projectile vomiting). I did use a pacifier with him. And I kept him on a nice routine of eat-wake-sleep every 2&1/2 hours so he would get more regular times of eating with rest for his tummy in between. The time did come, months in, where I could let him self-regulate, mostly, but I definitely remember thinking those first few weeks that he just didn't come equipped with a self-regulation system and I would need to "be" that system for him. HTH!!

junvwekt 04-17-2013 07:54 AM

Re: So much puke/spit up! Help!!
 
My boy was doing the same thing at about 3 weeks. It wasn't always a full-out puke after EVERY feed, but he would frequently spit up a little bit & he puked once or twice a day.

I got these suggestions & tried most of them (except for cutting out dairy). Don't know which ones worked, but he's 4 weeks now, & not puking anymore but still spitting up a little bit if he doesn't burp.

Dr. said it's more or less normal for little babies & as long as their still gaining weight, it's fine (just annoying). Try feeding more often, but in smaller quantities & keep him propped up for 30ish minutes after feeds.

MIL (who is a midwife & mom of 8) said it's normal, don't worry about it. He's just getting used to how much to eat, etc. Just make sure you're burping him.

SIL (Mother of 5) said sometimes cutting dairy helps, if it's an ongoing problem.

I've also started getting him into a routine that includes naps because he wasn't napping well during the day & I thought that his crankiness was due to being hungry so whenever he cried, I just fed him & that may have contributed to the problem. :p

I hope you can get things figured out w/ your LO! Cleaning puke is no fun! :(

jessicanashville 04-17-2013 08:41 AM

Re: So much puke/spit up! Help!!
 
I think I am going to time and shorten his feeds... Not sure why I didn't think of that...so do you feed off the same side 2 times in a row or how do they get the hind milk?

jessicanashville 04-17-2013 08:50 AM

Re: So much puke/spit up! Help!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by junvwekt (Post 16504700)
My boy was doing the same thing at about 3 weeks. It wasn't always a full-out puke after EVERY feed, but he would frequently spit up a little bit & he puked once or twice a day.

I got these suggestions & tried most of them (except for cutting out dairy). Don't know which ones worked, but he's 4 weeks now, & not puking anymore but still spitting up a little bit if he doesn't burp.

Dr. said it's more or less normal for little babies & as long as their still gaining weight, it's fine (just annoying). Try feeding more often, but in smaller quantities & keep him propped up for 30ish minutes after feeds.

MIL (who is a midwife & mom of 8) said it's normal, don't worry about it. He's just getting used to how much to eat, etc. Just make sure you're burping him.

SIL (Mother of 5) said sometimes cutting dairy helps, if it's an ongoing problem.

I've also started getting him into a routine that includes naps because he wasn't napping well during the day & I thought that his crankiness was due to being hungry so whenever he cried, I just fed him & that may have contributed to the problem. :p

I hope you can get things figured out w/ your LO! Cleaning puke is no fun! :(

Great advice thanks! I am def going to prop him up and see if that helps too. He sleeps for about 4 hours at a time then nurses... So maybe I will wake him and feed him closer together...and I thought everytime he cried that meant he wanted to nurse? Lol :) He is a really good baby and doesn't even really cry that often... I am doing so much laundry and have to bathe him at least once a day... I am convinced my whole house smells like spit up :) I am hoping he outgrows it soon.

peep_erz 04-17-2013 09:00 AM

My little just started doing this at 3 weeks as well! Our problem is also over eating. She was actually eating once an hour and spitting up every time. I with held feedings so she ate closer to every 2 hours and soothed her in between with lots of walking. Now at 4 weeks we have a lot less spit up. She still does it but it is normally more of a dribble.

MakingHome 04-17-2013 09:27 AM

Re: So much puke/spit up! Help!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicanashville (Post 16504852)
I think I am going to time and shorten his feeds... Not sure why I didn't think of that...so do you feed off the same side 2 times in a row or how do they get the hind milk?

Well he gets hindmilk when he nurses longer on the second side. Doing that also gives you a chance to burp, change diaper, etc between sides to give a little time for things to settle before you switch to the second side.

junvwekt 04-17-2013 09:27 AM

Re: So much puke/spit up! Help!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicanashville (Post 16504886)
Great advice thanks! I am def going to prop him up and see if that helps too. He sleeps for about 4 hours at a time then nurses... So maybe I will wake him and feed him closer together...and I thought everytime he cried that meant he wanted to nurse? Lol :) He is a really good baby and doesn't even really cry that often... I am doing so much laundry and have to bathe him at least once a day... I am convinced my whole house smells like spit up :) I am hoping he outgrows it soon.

Yeah. I'm glad I had lots of experienced moms around me when it was happening (My sister in-law's wedding happened to be around that time so lots of family were available to help & give tips). I was starting to get really worried & I didn't know what to do to help the poor little guy.

I stumbled upon this little routine/schedule and started him on it a few days ago: http://noobmommy.com/wp-content/uplo...heat-Sheet.pdf So he's nursing every 2.5 to 3 hrs. I've been using it more as a loose guide than a strict schedule but he does pretty well with the Eat, Awake, Sleep routine during the day (of course, at night, he likes to stay up until 11 or 12. Lol.) I was shocked at how well he napped after starting this... and I was happy to see that he actually got cranky when he was tired because that meant I didn't have to nurse him every 30 minutes. :D

myclanof6 04-17-2013 09:39 AM

He could just want to suckle and ends up overeating. I would time it and if he still seems fussy then you may need to try a paci. Does he grunt or pull off after a certain time? That could be his cue that he's full but still wants to suck. That's why dd does anyways. :/ Sometimes if she keeps going back she ends up throwing up on us.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors