Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how common is it for a 5 y/o to read backwards? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509563)

corinne76 04-18-2013 01:02 AM

how common is it for a 5 y/o to read backwards?

DD made 5 in late December. She started Kinder in August. She's not reading well, and spelling well. Once in a great while, she reads words backwards, and I noticed she will write her name backwards. It's not often, but it does happen.
I'm wondering if it's common of if I should be alarmed

abunchoflemons 04-18-2013 03:26 AM

Re: how common is it for a 5 y/o to read backwards?

Like if name is Kristen are you talking about she does this: netsirk? or like backwards letters- I can't do on the comp? If the second then normal I think teachers say to like 3rd grade when we talk to them here.

jeebee 04-18-2013 05:28 AM

It's common to mirror write. My 3yo is writing her name like that a lot. My older daughter is 5 and when she first started writing she would often write like that as well. I don't think you need to worry too much.

Kayc1086 04-18-2013 05:32 AM

I'm a K-1 special edu teacher and reading/writing backwards is extremely typical! Just model the correct way and correct his errors. :) no worries!

corinne76 04-18-2013 11:12 AM

Thanks mamas! She does mess up lower case d and b, which i know is normal.
She read God as dog the other day. Once she wrote her name nedyahs instead of shayden. But like i said it's not often. But i had to ask

CASMama711 04-18-2013 06:28 PM

Totally normal until age 8. :goodvibes:

debmom2boyz 04-20-2013 05:06 PM

Common. She is young. My son turned 6 at the end of December and is in kinder. A year ago (so he would have been your LO's age) he wasn't even interested in reading books (loved having them read to him!). He just wasn't ready. A year later and he is reading books, sounding out words, writing words, surrounding himself in words.

It probably has to do with her age, she is a very young kinder student. Most kinder students have concepts of print and are reading/writing sight words. What have her teachers suggested to you?

Dmpmercury 04-20-2013 06:16 PM

Since she is only 5 and young for kindergarten and doesn't do it all the time I wouldn't be too worried but she does need to learn to read from left to right. I think that can be common with kindergartners if they work a lot with sight words. The kindergartners at dd's school do not do that but they are using a very different method than most schools use and we have a different cut off and there are no kids your dd's age in her class. I heard from friends with kids at different schools that are in a good neighborhood so one of the better ones there are kids in the class without much reading ability yet who guess a lot still. My dd took a while for reading to click but she didn't write words backwards or read a word from the right to the left. My 4 year old isn't a fluent reader yet but he does know the direction to read and spell from.

bigfunbums 04-21-2013 03:23 PM

Very common :)