Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby food question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510063)

shortcake2386 04-19-2013 04:56 PM

Baby food question

I should know this but we've never used baby food before.... Dd is almost 10 months and when we give her food or baby food it comes out exactly like it went in. Same color, texture and smell?!?! Is this normal? Is she getting anything out of it????

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Leanbh 04-19-2013 07:16 PM

Re: Baby food question

yep, it really is like that when they start, especially if she is new to baby food....as in you didn't begin at 4 months.

Not sure if comes out exactly the same.....but if they eat blueberries the poop comes out green......orange veg it comes out bright orange.....you will see chunks of carrots, corn, grapes. I feel they don't digest a lot at this age really. I think that's why they say a lot of "eating" is purely for practice at this age and they still get the bulk of their calories from breastmilk or formula.

shortcake2386 04-19-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanbh (Post 16514116)
yep, it really is like that when they start, especially if she is new to baby food....as in you didn't begin at 4 months.

Not sure if comes out exactly the same.....but if they eat blueberries the poop comes out green......orange veg it comes out bright orange.....you will see chunks of carrots, corn, grapes. I feel they don't digest a lot at this age really. I think that's why they say a lot of "eating" is purely for practice at this age and they still get the bulk of their calories from breastmilk or formula.

ok thats what i was thinking. i know we gave her cooked soft carrots one day and the chunks just came out the other end:yuck: we're trying to get extra calories in her to avoid a g-tube bc the is FTT so im wondering if "food" isnt the best way right now:headscratch:

FindingMercy 04-19-2013 08:41 PM

If calories are the biggest concern (been down this road with our DS), then focus on getting more breast milk or formula into her first, as that is higher in calories per ounce than baby food.

shortcake2386 04-19-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy (Post 16514396)
If calories are the biggest concern (been down this road with our DS), then focus on getting more breast milk or formula into her first, as that is higher in calories per ounce than baby food.

she refuses bottles at least 25% of the time or will only take an ounce or two(its BM) and decide she's done and refuse to eat again until the next bottle, which sometimes she take s and sometimes she doesnt. its hit or miss really:banghead: she cant suck so she kind of gnaws on the bottles so i think sometimes she just doesnt want to bother with it. so the food is easier(kind of) to get in her even though its less calories/ounce. we still push the bottles first and then an hour or so later offer food(whether she takes the bottle or not). there may be a better solution, but if so i havent found it yet. she had a ng-tube for a week but we couldnt keep it on her, even with arm restraints(which we refused to do once we realized she couldnt do anything with them on)or mittens on:/ we've tried a bunch to get calories in her

FindingMercy 04-19-2013 09:18 PM

Ugh. I'm so sorry. Is she getting and therapy for the swallowing difficulty? If. It I would look into that! Otherwise, if you can get some baby food in her, you can thin it with breast milk or add formula powder to it in order to make it higher in calories. Hope you can get something figured out.

3 ladybugs 04-20-2013 06:35 AM

My sister had this same problem. She was born in China and they don't use bottles over there, they feed the baby with a spoon or something odd like that. My step mother got my sister a nipple that was meant to have rice cereal go through it. So the hole was way bigger then normal. This helped her drink it. The good news is she did grow out of this. She is 11 years old now and perfectly healthy.

Good luck!

shortcake2386 04-20-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy
Ugh. I'm so sorry. Is she getting and therapy for the swallowing difficulty? If. It I would look into that! Otherwise, if you can get some baby food in her, you can thin it with breast milk or add formula powder to it in order to make it higher in calories. Hope you can get something figured out.

She swallows fine it's the sucking she can't do:( she gets pt through babies can't wait but they've said to just feed her solids, no bottles, since two months:/ so since we are being seen by bcw insurance is making us jump through hoops to get therapy elsewhere. It's a big mess. But since she's so close to a year even the slp at the children's hospital last time she was in said to just push solids...

shortcake2386 04-20-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
My sister had this same problem. She was born in China and they don't use bottles over there, they feed the baby with a spoon or something odd like that. My step mother got my sister a nipple that was meant to have rice cereal go through it. So the hole was way bigger then normal. This helped her drink it. The good news is she did grow out of this. She is 11 years old now and perfectly healthy.

Good luck!

Ill try that. We tried a fast flow nipple a few months ago and she just choked but I can try again