Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone do Baby Sign Language? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510157)

junvwekt 04-20-2013 07:31 AM

Anyone do Baby Sign Language?

I am hearing & do not know ASL, but am interested in teaching my baby sign language so he can communicate before he learns to talk. Has anyone bought the kit from babysignlanguage.com? Do you think it would be a good kit for a total noob like me? :)

UVASahm 04-20-2013 07:37 AM

Re: Anyone do Baby Sign Language?

I haven't done a kit but you can get a book from the library for free and it will tell you a lot that are very helpful. Some of the signs that my son picked up first and use most often, all done, more, mama, milk, water, monkey (he likes the 5 little monkey son), eat. We are working on help, please, thank you, sorry.

I found we were doing lots of signs when he was young and then all of a sudden he started doing them back around a month ago. Good luck! It's very fun to see your little person do signs!

peep_erz 04-20-2013 07:42 AM

I have no experience with the kit but I have taught a little baby aign language and I loved it. I was 14yrs old when my youngest brother was born and my mom pretty much handed him off to me. As soon as he started babbling i would sign milk, more, please, and thank you whenever I said them. I also did the abc's, twinkle twinkle, and some youth group songs. I wasn't looking for full conversational vocab. Just simple things that he would need to communicate while he couldn't talk. I knew some signs from my friend who knows asl and the others i looked up online.

From my experience i dont think you need a special kit or anything. I even found some free iphone apps recently to brush up for my own baby.

PBAki 04-20-2013 07:57 AM

We haven't done a kit but Signing Time DVD's worked great for us. DD1 used to watch it all the time and was signing around six months or so. We're starting basic signing with our five month old right now as well :) Good luck!

pinktoes 04-20-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peep_erz
I have no experience with the kit but I have taught a little baby aign language and I loved it. I was 14yrs old when my youngest brother was born and my mom pretty much handed him off to me. As soon as he started babbling i would sign milk, more, please, and thank you whenever I said them. I also did the abc's, twinkle twinkle, and some youth group songs. I wasn't looking for full conversational vocab. Just simple things that he would need to communicate while he couldn't talk. I knew some signs from my friend who knows asl and the others i looked up online.

From my experience i dont think you need a special kit or anything. I even found some free iphone apps recently to brush up for my own baby.

This.
Pair the sign with the word and just use all the time. Baby will pick it up. Pick a set of 5 or so common ones.
Milk, more, please, cracker or eat, diaper, book, dog, whatever you want that's functional in your life.
Signs fade naturally as language develops.

mibarra 04-20-2013 08:59 AM

I second the Signing Time series. It uses ASL and is very clear. Some baby sign programs are not true ASL.

mamatoclaire 04-20-2013 09:10 AM

DD loved baby signing time. We checked it out from the library first, then I bought my own.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Huxley 04-20-2013 12:05 PM

I use Baby Signing Time. We even go to classes (more for socialization and to teach me the signs) I have not been consistent with signing but my daughter can do milk and more. She will also respond to the sign for water and eat. I think signing really helps with the frustration of baby not knowing how to communicate.

We don't do tv at home, but I let her occasionally watch the signing videos. I don't like the idea of her learning from a movie, but it is cute and I'm sure I'll use it to distract her when she's older.

I find signing is great for my mom. She doesn't know my dd's cues like I do, so she has a way to communicate with her. Dd thinks it is fun too. I'll say milk and she will sign it and look oh so proud.

Whatever kit you get, make sure it is ASL.

Miss squish 04-20-2013 01:17 PM

We use signs for some important things. Milk, food, water, more, all done, diaper change, sorry, thank you and a couple others. I just use them whenever I say the words myself. I haven't been religious about it but my 11 month old now uses water, his own variation or all done, milk, and more. We're not going to carry on a conversation or anything but he can let me know when he needs something and I don't have to always guess.

No videos or anything special just a book that a friend gave me that she used with her son.

NotLad 04-20-2013 06:20 PM

I didn't do a kit. I just did basic signs: milk, more, all done. It took really well at about ten months.