Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Preschool or not to Preschool - That is the question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510319)

newmom98118 04-20-2013 07:45 PM

Preschool or not to Preschool - That is the question

If one parent stays at home with a younger kid, did you send your older ones to preschool?

The only preschool option for our 4 year old next year might be a bit of a financial stretch. We're wondering if we should 'homeschool' for next year. We go to lots of playgroups and social functions so socialization is not a concern.

Thoughts, experiences?

Choffman 04-20-2013 07:49 PM

Re: Preschool or not to Preschool - That is the question

I stayed home with my youngest and sent my oldest to preschool for two years. 3 & 4 year old preschool, they were both only a few hours for two days a week. She learned things I would have never thought to teach her. It also got her used to being in a classroom listening to someone besides me. She loved every minute of it and I'm glad it did it. I sent my youngest for two years too. Then I was home by myself for a few hours, that was sorta great too :) lol

lauraz76 04-20-2013 08:27 PM

I have a 4.5yo DD and a 5month old DS. We've never sent my 4yo to a formal preschool, for several reasons. I work part-time, and so she does go to a home daycare a couple days a week. I didn't want to send her away the other days I was home with her. And like you, the preschool options are all pretty expensive for us. we just didn't feel a need. We are busy enough with activities, and playgroups, etc. On the days I'm home with her, while she doesn't go to a preschool, we get to go to other places together and learn - the aquarium, the library, museums, etc.

and in the process, we've actualy decided to just keep right on homeschooling her (so my opinion is probably a little biased :-). There's not a ton of 'academics' that are going to make or break a 4 yo. IMHO, if you keep your 4yo at home, I think you will enjoy all that extra sweet time you'll spend together.

Dmpmercury 04-20-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

If one parent stays at home with a younger kid, did you send your older ones to preschool?

The only preschool option for our 4 year old next year might be a bit of a financial stretch. We're wondering if we should 'homeschool' for next year. We go to lots of playgroups and social functions so socialization is not a concern.

Thoughts, experiences?
I sent my kids to preschool but for next year it is just getting to cost too much so I plan on working with my 4 year old at home on educational stuff on his level and will go to playgroups and free stuff in town instead. He gets more educationally working one on one anyway. The preschool was more for socialization when I sent the kids.

Leanbh 04-20-2013 08:36 PM

I think it depends on how much of a financial stretch it will be.

I know to send my DS(4 in june) to 4 yr old preschool next year, M-T....but through the school district, they will also do his speech therapy during that time as it's the school district....will be $110/month.

If it was a huge financial dealbreaker then I would just have him do the speech. Last year was much tougher financially so he just did his speech preschool twice a week and I felt that was plenty for a 3 year old.

I would just take advantage of a few inexpensive classes through the year, library, playdates etc.

If you think he is fine with socialization then that's good. Although preschool is great for learning "the rules" for kindergarten, just basics like raise hand, washing hands, using bathroom, snacks, sitting on rug and listening to stories, doing projects, listening to teacher etc.

mcpforever 04-21-2013 06:09 AM

If it's a financial stretch, I think it's better to skip it and I send my kids for 3K and 4K. It's more about playing school (walking in line independently, sitting and working on a project, doing activities at the same time, feeling comfortable being guided by another adult who is not a parent,) and activities I wouldn't have the creativity or patience to deal with. (like the really messy ones or ones that involve buying an entire box of X to use two little pieces and then you're left with the rest of the box) And routine.

As a bonus for me, it forces me to maintain a routine that I could otherwise let fall by the wayside as preschool won't just rearrange their schedule because I feel like sleeping late. And I get some time without one kid so I can have one on one with another and/or do some volunteer work. Right now I have kids in 5th, K, and 4K, and I volunteer weekly at all 3 schools and church.

ETA: As a (former) music teacher, I could usually tell the K kids who had had some sort of preschool, those who went to daycare without the school routine, and those who never left Mama's side. By the time they got to 2nd grade I couldn't though. :)

s@hmommy 04-21-2013 06:20 AM

If it is a financial burden and your child is average for their age I wouldn't be concerned. I sent my dd, but she is a serious introvert and is still struggling socially at times, she truly needed it.

tallanvor 04-21-2013 07:16 AM

None of my kids went to preschool. I didn't see a reason to send them.

7 for now 04-21-2013 07:22 AM

I do not send my kids to preschool. Personally, I don't see the point. But, we also homeschool so I teach them from the start and I don't buy into the "socialization" myth. I stay at home with my kids so I can be the one raising and teaching them. I am sure many dont agree with me, but that works for us.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

danielle 04-21-2013 08:22 AM

Truthfully, if socialization wasn't a concern for me, I likely wouldn't have enrolled Gigi in pre-k, paid for by New York state. Her intelligence could have gotten her through Kindergarten fine, but I am glad she's going. She's getting the finer points of school etiquette settled in advance.