Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ADD diet or supplements help? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510381)

canadianbakers 04-21-2013 07:19 AM

ADD diet or supplements help?

I know there are other mamas dealing with children with ADD on here. I know there are meds that we could turn to, but DH and I both want to try diet "tampering" (lack of better word, lol) or possibly supplements, before turning to meds.

Also, we have no official Dx for ADD, but this is based on our own observation of DS2 - my DH is a teacher, has dealt with ADD in his students, and my MIL is a special needs educator and obviously deals with many children with varying issues.
We've always known DS2 has attention/distraction troubles. We've always just dealt with it. But yesterday he was trying to do something and couldn't focus - and when he came to me with tears in his eyes and said "I can't. I get so distracted all the time." - well, DH and I decided we need to start doing more to help him.

Kwim? If it's just an annoyance to me (not sitting for a meal, etc) I deal with my own feelings towards it, but if he's feeling annoyed or bothered or upset by it, we need to help him with it.

So, any advice or ideas anyone could share would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Suzi 04-21-2013 07:21 AM

Re: ADD diet or supplements help?

Feingold (I'm not sure I'm spelling that right) has had amazing results or some moms. We took out all artificial dyes and sweeteners and saw major improvements. My boys ren add. I have an aspie and an autistic son so they do have attention issues

wordmama 04-21-2013 07:59 AM

We took my son to our naturopath and she was able to identify his dietary triggers (dairy and processed sugar). The difference is night and day once we eliminated the offending ingredients. Sugar and red dyes are common triggers for ADD/ADHD. We also use belladonna for DS if he's having a particularly hyperactive day.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

33andunder 04-21-2013 10:06 AM

You might want to spend some time researching DHA/DFA/Omega 3 supplements. I agree with limiting dairy and processed sugars too.

canadianbakers 04-22-2013 09:00 AM

Thanks mamas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordmama (Post 16517842)
We took my son to our naturopath and she was able to identify his dietary triggers (dairy and processed sugar). The difference is night and day once we eliminated the offending ingredients. Sugar and red dyes are common triggers for ADD/ADHD. We also use belladonna for DS if he's having a particularly hyperactive day.

DS2 is lactose intolerant, so he all ready is restricted on dairy. The silly thing is, sugar and red dye (or any dyes, really) don't seem to make a difference in him. If anything, his only trigger we've seen for hyperactivity is chocolate.
DS1 does react to red dye and sugar, becoming very hyperactive and out of control. But he doesn't seem to have attention/distraction troubles, just hyperactive.

DS2 doesn't seem to be that hyperactive, honestly. I mean, he's an active near-7-year-old boy, but nothing abnormal, kwim? It's that he gets distracted constantly whenever he tries to focus on something. A good example is sitting down for lunch at home - he'll make himself a sandwich, sit down and take a bite, then when we walk by the table he's got his lunch out... plus scissors and a craft and crayons and a coloring book - because he can't seem to stop himself and finish one thing, kwim? If he thinks about something, he has to get up and get/do it right then, no matter what he's all ready doing.
It's annoying to me, cuz it means a lot of mess and not getting cleaned up, but it's becoming annoying to him too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33andunder (Post 16518101)
You might want to spend some time researching DHA/DFA/Omega 3 supplements. I agree with limiting dairy and processed sugars too.

We were talking with MIL about it yesterday and she mentioned that exact thing. She is working as a elementary school resource + numeracy teacher right now and has been dealing with some kids getting Dx and whatnot. She said there is one Dr in town that she would highly recommend, if we need to get an "official" Dx for DS2, and who we would take him to before starting anything more than dietary adjustments or supplements. (this Dr doesn't recommend jumping right to meds, and deals with ADD himself. MIL says he's really good.)
This guy's first recommendation always is to start the kid on fish oils and see if it makes a difference. So, that's something we can easily do ourselves, and won't cause harm if it doesn't help. We'll be looking for some "easy to take" form of it this week :)

mcpforever 04-22-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 16521021)
DS2 is lactose intolerant, so he all ready is restricted on dairy. The silly thing is, sugar and red dye (or any dyes, really) don't seem to make a difference in him. If anything, his only trigger we've seen for hyperactivity is chocolate.
DS1 does react to red dye and sugar, becoming very hyperactive and out of control. But he doesn't seem to have attention/distraction troubles, just hyperactive.

DS2 doesn't seem to be that hyperactive, honestly. I mean, he's an active near-7-year-old boy, but nothing abnormal, kwim? It's that he gets distracted constantly whenever he tries to focus on something. A good example is sitting down for lunch at home - he'll make himself a sandwich, sit down and take a bite, then when we walk by the table he's got his lunch out... plus scissors and a craft and crayons and a coloring book - because he can't seem to stop himself and finish one thing, kwim? If he thinks about something, he has to get up and get/do it right then, no matter what he's all ready doing.
It's annoying to me, cuz it means a lot of mess and not getting cleaned up, but it's becoming annoying to him too.

Sometimes diet just doesn't help. We tried it with DS1 (who does have an ADHD-PI diagnosis and sounds just like your DS2 with the distractability/space cadet behavior) but since he was already eating so well, there wasn't much else to change. We do give him DHA supplements, but we give all the kids those. It's possible that it helps his attention or makes it so he can be on a lower dose of medication. We did end up medicating since the diet stuff didn't make a change and he was frustrated with himself.

That said, DH (DS1's step father) has RLS when he eats vanillan (artificial vanilla flavor). It took us a while to figure it out and I thought I might have to swaddle him and tie him to the bed so I could sleep. Now I'm really a big meanie about what he can have for dessert at night. Sure, hon, eat the oreo ice cream sandwich. Just plan to sleep on the couch! :giggle2:

canadianbakers 04-22-2013 12:02 PM

:giggle: about your DH.

That is very true, about the diet/supplements not always being enough. But we'd like to start there rather than jump right to meds, kwim? If there's a chance that we can help him without meds, we feel like it's maybe a better choice for his body. That's totally not to say that meds aren't necessary for some kids - I believe they are - but I don't think it should be the first choice to try.