Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Bob Jones science? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512975)

Celeste 04-29-2013 07:59 PM

Bob Jones science?

Does anyone use this curriculum? If you did/do, did you also use the teachers guide and tests, or just the text and work pages?

sdsmrs 04-29-2013 09:23 PM

Re: Bob Jones science?

We use it, but we use HomeSat (distance learning). I have the teacher's edition for the some of the grades but I don't think it I have ever used it, even when we missed a recording. I do use the tests. Of course that is depending on the grade. I don't always use them until 4th or later.

What grades are you teaching? We've used the BJU curriculum since my oldest was in k5 she'll be in 9th in the fall. This year I have one in 8th, 5th, 3rd and k5.

Celeste 04-30-2013 06:30 AM

Ava will be in first grade next year. This looks like a pretty good science curriculum. I wasn't sure about the tests, either. So, would you recommend just the text and student pages, then?

acwakip 04-30-2013 07:00 AM

I am using their upper grade science and love it! I tried it without buying the extras but found that I needed them. The teacher's edition includes lots of extra info and instruction ideas that aren't in the lab manual. You might check amazon or ebay as that is where I purchased mine for very little.

Sent from my not-so-smart-phone

Helloloni 04-30-2013 07:10 AM

Oh no, I would never ever call this science

Have a look.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Eye...ience_Textbook

Celeste 04-30-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helloloni (Post 16547527)
Oh no, I would never ever call this science

Have a look.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Eye...ience_Textbook

Well, I operate from a Christian world view, so I actually agree with them.

sdsmrs 04-30-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 16547459)
Ava will be in first grade next year. This looks like a pretty good science curriculum. I wasn't sure about the tests, either. So, would you recommend just the text and student pages, then?

I'll have a first grader also in the fall. From what I see in your siggy, they were born a day apart (my DS was born on the 1/5/07) :)

To answer your questions, It depends on how you want to teach, are you wanting to read through the text with your child and explain from there, finding your own ways to reinforce the concepts taught? Or, would you like everything given to you in written format, with little outside prep except for getting the "experiments" ready? Since this is for first grade, It would be very easy to do the first option. Of course, as you get into the upper grades, say around 4th or 5th grade and up, you would probably want the TE.

I get many of my books used, probably 80%. I use homeschoolclassifieds.com, ebay, and half.com before I will buy new. Many times I can find the consumables "used" and at great prices. Also, you might be able to find a bundle that has everything, for about the same as you would just buying the student text and consumable new. We use the 2nd edition but I know they have the 3rd edition available. Make sure if you buy used, that you are getting the same edition, since I'm not sure if the two are compatible. You won't go wrong using either edition. BJUP doesn't sell the student notebook anymore but if you can find the notebook "used", you should be able to get that edition for a good price. (I just bought a student notebook off Homeschool Classifieds for 6.50 shipped)

I love the BJU curriculum for the solid Bible based foundation that it lays. Keep in mind, that if you are not looking for that, then this will NOT be the curriculum for you. :goodvibes:

Melissa

Celeste 04-30-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsmrs (Post 16547657)
I'll have a first grader also in the fall. From what I see in your siggy, they were born a day apart (my DS was born on the 1/5/07) :)

To answer your questions, It depends on how you want to teach, are you wanting to read through the text with your child and explain from there, finding your own ways to reinforce the concepts taught? Or, would you like everything given to you in written format, with little outside prep except for getting the "experiments" ready? Since this is for first grade, It would be very easy to do the first option. Of course, as you get into the upper grades, say around 4th or 5th grade and up, you would probably want the TE.

I get many of my books used, probably 80%. I use homeschoolclassifieds.com, ebay, and half.com before I will buy new. Many times I can find the consumables "used" and at great prices. Also, you might be able to find a bundle that has everything, for about the same as you would just buying the student text and consumable new. We use the 2nd edition but I know they have the 3rd edition available. Make sure if you buy used, that you are getting the same edition, since I'm not sure if the two are compatible. You won't go wrong using either edition. BJUP doesn't sell the student notebook anymore but if you can find the notebook "used", you should be able to get that edition for a good price. (I just bought a student notebook off Homeschool Classifieds for 6.50 shipped)

I love the BJU curriculum for the solid Bible based foundation that it lays. Keep in mind, that if you are not looking for that, then this will NOT be the curriculum for you. :goodvibes:

Melissa

Thanks for all the info! I think I will order the text and workbook and look it over and go from there. I definitely want a solid Biblical foundation for our curriculum, so I think this will be a good fit. I think the Christian elementary school I attended actually used the BJU science stuff, if I remember correctly. :)

stephie_j24 04-30-2013 01:14 PM

We used it this year for first grade and I already purchased second and third :) So in other words, we like it! We used all of the materials. I originally wasn't going to purchase the teachers guide, but I got a really good deal on it so I went ahead. I am really glad I did. It is easy to use and very helpful in guiding the discussions, and it also has a lot of good suggestions for "other" activities as well.

stephie_j24 04-30-2013 01:39 PM

I will say, however, that it tends to take a sort of "us vs them" perspective in some science/religion debatable issues. This doesn't bother me though... I want my kids to have an understanding of both "sides" and I usually just (truthfully) tell them, we're not sure what exactly is true here, and it's important to respect people who have different beliefs even if they're not the same as yours.