Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What is the most absorbent "local" natural fiber? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513032)

booty hunter 04-30-2013 03:22 AM

What is the most absorbent "local" natural fiber?

We are getting ready to leave on a trip and all of the sudden ds has developed this very serious pul /disposable diaper issue. So I made him some fleece covers (for some reason the fleece is ok,maybe because it is more breathable?) and I want to sew some soakers to snap into them (like a goodmama). They are only for night and he is a huge wetter so it needs to be very absorbent and natural fibers. But I won't have time to have something delivered,so it needs to be local. I have hobby lobby,joanns and hancock to choose from. I thought about flannel but after a few layers it starts to get stiff and I want something that will be flexible and not give him a brick butt. Is cotton jersey absorbent or maybe a combo of a few things? I have a bunch of muslin but it is so thin I figured that wouldn't be worth it.

newdsmomma 04-30-2013 05:27 AM

Re: What is the most absorbent "local" natural fiber?

I really don't know for sure, but if you can't get your hands on hemp or bamboo and/or don't have time to prep it, this is what I would try:

1. If you think he could handle microfiber as long as it doesn't touch his skin, I would sandwich it between flannel and try that. You can get microfiber towels in the kitchen or automotive areas of Walmart, Target, Meijer, etc. if your fabric stores don't have it.

2. If you think even sandwiched, microfiber would be a problem, I'd try baby loop terry. Do you have any really soft, pliable baby towels you could cut up and layer and top with some soft flannel? Regular toweling would work too, but is stiffer and might also give you that brick butt you are talking about. Do you have a TJMaxx, Home Goods, or Marshalls near you? You might even be able to find a "luxury" bamboo hand towel there you could cut up in a pinch

3. I would also try making a soaker or two out of felted and lanolized 100% wool to add to the fleece stash you made. Raid your closet (or thrift store) for an old really soft lambswool, merino, or cashmere sweater to cut up. My experience has been that if the diaper gets really soaked, wool keeps the sheets/PJs dryer than fleece. If you don't have lanolin soap, you can just dissolve some of the lanolin for nursing mothers in warm water and lanolize that way.

Good luck. Let us know what you did and how it went.

foggierbard9 04-30-2013 05:36 AM

Joanns sells diaper cloth. It is birdseye cotton weave like flats are made from. The usually have it with the utility fabric.

You could also find some of the premium good Gerber prefolds that are all cotton with no gauze and just add snaps to the end of one of the thin parts and then trifold and snap into your fleece cover. I made snap in inserts for some fitteds using prefolds like that.

mgmsrk 04-30-2013 07:30 AM

Cotton jersey or interlock would be a bit less stiff but by the time you get the absorbancy you need it will be pretty thick. I would do a 3-4 layer trifold snap in soaker that you can fold in thirds and get 9-12 layers but it will dry faster. They I would do up a few 3 layer, lay in soakers out of the same material or the flannel you have to use if you need more.

booty hunter 04-30-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdsmomma (Post 16547368)
I really don't know for sure, but if you can't get your hands on hemp or bamboo and/or don't have time to prep it, this is what I would try:

1. If you think he could handle microfiber as long as it doesn't touch his skin, I would sandwich it between flannel and try that. You can get microfiber towels in the kitchen or automotive areas of Walmart, Target, Meijer, etc. if your fabric stores don't have it.

2. If you think even sandwiched, microfiber would be a problem, I'd try baby loop terry. Do you have any really soft, pliable baby towels you could cut up and layer and top with some soft flannel? Regular toweling would work too, but is stiffer and might also give you that brick butt you are talking about. Do you have a TJMaxx, Home Goods, or Marshalls near you? You might even be able to find a "luxury" bamboo hand towel there you could cut up in a pinch

3. I would also try making a soaker or two out of felted and lanolized 100% wool to add to the fleece stash you made. Raid your closet (or thrift store) for an old really soft lambswool, merino, or cashmere sweater to cut up. My experience has been that if the diaper gets really soaked, wool keeps the sheets/PJs dryer than fleece. If you don't have lanolin soap, you can just dissolve some of the lanolin for nursing mothers in warm water and lanolize that way.

Good luck. Let us know what you did and how it went.

The soft towels are a great idea, I am sure the microfiber will be a no go. I have tons of recycled wool but for ease of travel I was going to do fleece so I could wash them with the diapers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggierbard9 (Post 16547372)
Joanns sells diaper cloth. It is birdseye cotton weave like flats are made from. The usually have it with the utility fabric.

You could also find some of the premium good Gerber prefolds that are all cotton with no gauze and just add snaps to the end of one of the thin parts and then trifold and snap into your fleece cover. I made snap in inserts for some fitteds using prefolds like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgmsrk (Post 16547567)
Cotton jersey or interlock would be a bit less stiff but by the time you get the absorbancy you need it will be pretty thick. I would do a 3-4 layer trifold snap in soaker that you can fold in thirds and get 9-12 layers but it will dry faster. They I would do up a few 3 layer, lay in soakers out of the same material or the flannel you have to use if you need more.

Both of these are a great idea,I never thought about trifolding inserts that snap in. Thanks so much mamas.

newdsmomma 04-30-2013 10:02 AM

Funny, I was thinking wool might be easier for short-term travel since you don't actually have to wash it each time the insert is wet and you can just use the same well-lanolized wool cover for a few days without washing at all. That way, you would only need a couple covers and lots of inserts as opposed to a new cover for every night or more frequent washing. Since we're just talking pee and not poop, wool might be a lot more travel friendly than you think. Just a thought!

booty hunter 04-30-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdsmomma (Post 16548111)
Funny, I was thinking wool might be easier for short-term travel since you don't actually have to wash it each time the insert is wet and you can just use the same well-lanolized wool cover for a few days without washing at all. That way, you would only need a couple covers and lots of inserts as opposed to a new cover for every night or more frequent washing. Since we're just talking pee and not poop, wool might be a lot more travel friendly than you think. Just a thought!

I didn't think about that he really only wets them. I guess I am on full diapering mode instead of nighttime for a toddler. Now I really wish I wouldn't have spent the time making and snapping 8 covers ,when I have a bin full of wool.